COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Military Exercises

Imagine two towns, Oxenfort and Foddertown, both are neighbours, both have a militia. The Militia are organized in squads under a squad leader, with a general who commands all the squads, this requires a lot of co-ordination, they exist to deal with bandits grouping together on the highways and to defend the town.

What if the two towns decided to do joint military exercises? Wouldn't that be cool?

Oxenfort and Foddertown's milita meet on an agreed upon open field, both sides are armed with sticks instead of swords, the rules are no coup de grace's and no looting. Both sides are getting practice as working in a milita group under a squad leader, but then it becomes competitive, Oxenfort and Foddertown start competing, eventually this comes to include multiple towns and suddenly we have a sport.

10/5/2017 10:18:12 AM #1

Nice idea.... way Not

10/5/2017 11:08:43 AM #2

How would the game mechanics understand it's a fake battle and not a real fight and thus criminalising everyone on the field.

With something like a jousting match it would be taking place in a specific location which will be programmed to know what's taking place. Just running into any field to fake battle would surely be hard to program for as how would the game know what's real or fake?

10/5/2017 11:50:52 AM #3

Posted By SoulSpark at 9:08 PM - Thu Oct 05 2017

How would the game mechanics understand it's a fake battle and not a real fight and thus criminalising everyone on the field.

i think that one is easily answered if no one presses charges then the bounty tokens go unused and thus no criminal behaviour.

i already looked at this option because imagine every time you do a sparing lession with your trainer your a criminal??? thats just silly.

so practice and mock battles will be a thing and should be doable as long as all rules are maintained.

the battle field mechanic has not be truly fleshed out but i believe it is just something that will over rule the normal re-spawn randomly 50m away from your corpse thing which if no one is dieing should be a no brainer.

but yes once the fully fleshed out battle field mechanic is announced with things like what constitutes a battle field and what it actually dose we will just have to watch how it goes.

one would also figure being on a battle field would have some fatigue modifier.

also back to the legal stand point for a bit. think about this they already have jousting as a sport and no one is getting criminalised for unhorsing a opponent so i can see Melee squad combat being a sport as well.

plus lets not forget the weard who have very lax laws regarding violence in there lands.

worse case partition your king to setup a new law to allow it.

remember guys we are meant to make the rules of our game and can change what we dont like over time.

Click Banner To Visit County. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

10/5/2017 5:13:49 PM #4

We may be able to build large field training, and when you stand on it people cant be Coup de Grace, or cant be killed at all only unconscious.

So there no need to charge people, and they wont be afraid of loosing stuff.

10/6/2017 3:56:51 AM #5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPswKJ8Zh7E&t=26s

Like this?

Friend Code: 1BD8F6

10/6/2017 6:42:30 PM #6

I plan on doing something of the sort, as well as organizing "bandit hunts" to hone combat abilities while enforcing the law at the same time.

The key is to make training and guard patrols events that players might actually want to participate in instead of being tedious.

10/8/2017 6:14:18 AM #7

It would be cool if they implemented sparing swords and you became concussed rather than cued or knocked out. I'd honestly rather have my fighters fight each other, in the pits.

10/10/2017 5:44:48 PM #8

I don't see why this wouldn't work, I had thought a bounty token was only generated for a coup-de-grace, not just a knockout since there is no lasting damage to your character from that.

Join Freeport County, we like boats. And dogs.

10/10/2017 8:48:14 PM #9

Posted By Antelino at 1:44 PM - Tue Oct 10 2017

I don't see why this wouldn't work, I had thought a bounty token was only generated for a coup-de-grace, not just a knockout since there is no lasting damage to your character from that.

No, bounties come from crimes (i believe),so you would would be charged with the equivalent of assault rather than murder...

I think this is the case because thieves/cat-burglars would get bounties on them for stealing stuff, even if nobody is harmed.

Friend Code: 1BD8F6

10/16/2017 5:16:45 PM #10

No crime unless CDG

10/16/2017 10:12:39 PM #11

Bounty tokens are generated on two conditions.

1. A crime has been committed.

2. Someone reports it to a law enforcement official, who then generates the token.

So there wouldn't be any criminal activity unless it is reported as such.

Posted By VanHarsen at 10:13 AM - Thu Oct 05 2017

We may be able to build large field training, and when you stand on it people cant be Coup de Grace, or cant be killed at all only unconscious.

If I recall correctly, there won't be a system in place to create action restrictions like this. I believe the intent was for laws and rules to act the same as they do in real life. As a line in the sand and not an actual barrier.

So even in official mock combat matches there is nothing stopping someone from bludgeoning their sparring partner to death and then taking their stuff. There also isn't anything preventing spectators from trying to stop that person either.

Posted By SoulSpark at 04:08 AM - Thu Oct 05 2017

Contracts. A contract can used as proof that everyone agrees on certain rules and that anything happening within those rules would be legal.

Just like in real life, if you sign up to enter a sparring area (like a dojo) you sign a contract stating that, barring intentional attempts on your life or intentional breakage of bones, that any physical harm that comes to you while sparring is legal and you take all responsibility for it.

So in order to make this training exercise legal, you simply have everyone participating (or just the people that hold legal power over them, like military officers) sign the contract, thus stating that they will follow the rules and no action within those rules will be considered a criminal act.

The mystery of the universe is like one big jigsaw puzzle, and we are forever discovering new pieces.