COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Should Combat be Rated M?

The combat in CoE is still in development and what we've seen thus far in those pre-alpha videos are not what the combat will look like at full release. Albeit, combat itself should be the primary focus of any sandbox experience; it should be unique in its own right, yet skill based and enjoyable to master. Thus because this game is special and dear to many of us backers and founders, there are other intrigues about Chronicles of Elyria that may take a year of a players time, before they even experience combat. Crafting, politics and religion are just a few disciplines that make this game expansive. Also permadeath. This is something that makes a day in Elyria feel like a game of decisions; every day will be a chess match, where one bad decision can cost a players life.

Indeed, those that invested money in this dream we aren't going to want to lose. Thus even if we lose (or when) we want to say that at least the experience was epically enjoyable.

That being said, what if we went all in on combat and decided to go rated Mature by the ESRB? Will this effect the wider content that SbS is trying to envision or will it improve it? Essentially everything is centered around survival and it will take combat somewhere in Elyria to insure that everything else is properly functioning.

Thoughts?

10/13/2017 9:39:36 PM #1

By "go rated Mature" are you talking about adding blood and gore and viscera? I'd rather not. It seems like a lot of extra effort for one really is a small portion of the game, and I know a lot of people (myself included) would really rather not have something so visceral in the game.

Death is just another path, one we all must take

Friend Code: C8DF9C

10/13/2017 9:57:11 PM #2

Based off of what BioRules said I would l like the blood and gore to be a feature, but make it so you could turn it off if possible, mainly for those that don't have a good PC.

Running the Elyrian PC Assistance Program! (https://discord.gg/4UepZJZ)

10/13/2017 11:09:31 PM #3

I guess most of us can do well without having blood spashing allover our screens and viscera and severed limps all over the place won't make CoE a more enjoyable to us. A few red drops and a little blood stain are enough to help our fanatsy. However, from all I have read so far, I don't think the devs want CoE so bloody that it would be rated above 18.

10/13/2017 11:52:55 PM #4

i disagree with you, that combat should be the core focus of a sandbox experience.

i also see no need for tons of gore and viscera, especially if combat is at all realistic, that will tend to be uncommon unless someone got jumped and disembowled, which i would not like to witness. (blood should happen though, in a degree that makes sense, not over the top.)

what im hoping to get out of this game is not combat, but traveling around the world learning its lore.

10/14/2017 12:00:42 AM #5

My position:
1. Blood and gore isn't needed to show a person is dead or in pain
2. More mature content possible eliminates players wanting to join, while not much benefit (idk of anyone who has bought a game just for the gore)
3. Soaks up manpower and time which I prefer to be utilized for NPC brains/interactions

Friend Code: 1BD8F6

10/14/2017 1:34:49 PM #6

Caspian has already stated that SBS isn't going for an M rated game on several older Q&As. As for the over the top blood, it isn't needed as combat isn't a primary focus.

Mayor of Funny Farms Inc.

10/14/2017 10:03:49 PM #7

I agree with Norval. It should be an optional feature for the players with weak PC's. And additionally, making it a completely optional bonus content. As much as most people hate needless ridiculous DLC's. Total warhammer does this right as they put their blood and gore bonus as a DLC one would have to buy. Thus preventing the game's rating from being raised, while still accommodating the much more visceral adoring fans of the game.

An additional bonus to that is that if it was priced a very reasonable $5 it would pay for itself I feel. I know nothing about game development, or how much they're payed. But I'll just use random numbers that may be real, but I feel are kinda high. 200 man hours at 50 an hour = $10000 2001 players would need to buy it for it to be profitable. Considering the number of players the game is looking at. It would work out quite well money wise.

So, the only debate is whether they want this to be a completely family friendly game with no option for the more visceral components that some players want. Or if they want to accommodate more players preferences

10/15/2017 12:15:10 AM #8

Blood, yes. A beheading or amputation for a critical hit, maybe. Detailed to the point that it could be used as reference material for trauma medical students, not necessary.

• I'm big enough to forgive you. But I'm not stupid enough to trust you again. (A29D00/#9056)
10/15/2017 12:26:59 AM #9

Posted By SirKerlem at 11:15 AM - Sun Oct 15 2017

Blood, yes. A beheading or amputation for a critical hit, maybe. Detailed to the point that it could be used as reference material for trauma medical students, not necessary.

Never going to have losing limbs. Nothing like hopping around cause people are running around cutting off one leg. I would wonder if adding blood or anything else like it would really be worth the effort to add it in. Wouldn't mind it one way or another, as long as it's not overkill amount that just looks stupid.

10/15/2017 1:33:12 AM #10

Personally, I've never seen much upside to excessive blood and gore, outside of a cheap sort of teenage thrill, "OMG! Look at that!" moment.

Plenty of other things to focus on, honestly.

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.

10/15/2017 1:53:07 AM #11

Skip the gore. It's generally unrealistic anyway. When you slip a sword or knife through a gap in someone's armor it just makes a thin red line that starts oozing blood as they bleed internally as well. You don't lop a whole arm clean off someone in armor. And you definitely don't do a Witcher style slicing someone's torso in half.

10/15/2017 2:58:13 AM #12

Skip the blood and guts and keep combat skill RPG style where character skill matters and player skill only determines result when roughly equal characters meet.

Many people play RPGs to do things they can't do in RL and hate this current trend of making "Persistent World MMO FPS" instead of MMORPG. This applies to crafting as well as combat.

Click Banner To Visit town. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

10/15/2017 9:04:52 PM #13

Posted By SilkyBazaar at 04:58 AM - Sun Oct 15 2017

Skip the blood and guts and keep combat skill RPG style where character skill matters and player skill only determines result when roughly equal characters meet.

Many people play RPGs to do things they can't do in RL and hate this current trend of making "Persistent World MMO FPS" instead of MMORPG. This applies to crafting as well as combat.

So you are suggesting that PvP should not be skill based? If so delete your forum account and never come back. Git Gud.. SilkyCasual

Number 1 Pvper In Mortal Online

10/16/2017 7:04:43 AM #14

Posted By Horny Furry at 04:04 AM - Mon Oct 16 2017

Posted By SilkyBazaar at 04:58 AM - Sun Oct 15 2017

So you are suggesting that PvP should not be skill based? If so delete your forum account and never come back. Git Gud.. SilkyCasual

I am saying if you want PvP to be 100% skill based go and play an FPS game not an RPG.

Character development has to mean something or why bother having it.

Not all players in this game will be LEET high twitch keyboard mashing teens with 50 ping still living with mummy.

Click Banner To Visit town. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

10/16/2017 2:26:19 PM #15

I want the combat to be fun and immersive. I want to hit someone and see some red. I don't think limbs should be flying off. This game is not going to be all sunshine and daisy's, the drums of war are already playing softly in the background. Peace doesn't exist in real life nor will it exist in Elyria, i will have no platform to initiate warfare but you better believe that I will enjoy it when it happens. The combat needs to be awesome, it cannot be Sub par/ignored. Just because combat isn't the MAIN focus, that doesn't mean it shouldn't still be in the central vision. Give me one life per year and you better believe ill still charge into battle when asked to.