COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
SEA server

Will there be a SEA server or any Asia servers in Chronicles of Elyria?

10/15/2017 10:27:16 PM #1

Currently theres the Oceanic server is the asia server which is also known as APAC. Itll be hosted in Australia

10/15/2017 11:02:52 PM #2

The APAC community has adopted the term "APAC" when describing that server - however it's more accurate to call it the Oceanic Server.

10/16/2017 6:55:14 AM #3

There is no way a Sydney based server can support Asian players. The pathing from Sydney routes through the Pacific not up into Asia. So please put US West as far west as possible. (Maybe Hawaii :) I'm sure plenty of keen server maintenance appliciants from the team).

Example cloundping from Thailand has me better to US W then Sydney and even EU on par with Sydney.

US-West (California) 205 ms

US-West (Oregon) 234 ms

Asia Pacific (Singapore) 47 ms

Asia Pacific (Sydney) 223 ms

Asia Pacific (Tokyo) 136 ms

Europe (Ireland) 238 ms

Europe (London) 222 ms

Europe (Frankfurt) 239 ms

Click Banner To Visit town. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

10/16/2017 9:51:43 AM #4

Posted By SilkyBazaar at 5:55 PM - Mon Oct 16 2017

There is no way a Sydney based server can support Asian players.

A Sydney server's awesome for Australian and New Zealand gamers whereas, say, a server in Singapore isn't overly great for Sydney gamers. Horses for courses. Swings and roundabouts. I just tested a moment ago and I was getting 6ms to the Sydney server and 224ms to Singapore. Wherever a server sits, it's not ideal for someone, somewhere.

But isn't that the story of online gaming in a nutshell? I've lost count of how many MMOs I've played with no APAC servers at all... playing 300-400ms on US servers because there was no other choice. But I still did it because I loved the game in question and/or the guild I was playing that particular game with, and I found a way to make it work. Luckily with CoE, no one in ANZ and wider SE Asia has to go to quite the same extremes.

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.

10/16/2017 11:38:40 AM #5

I'm not saying don't have an Oceania server, even though residing in Thailand I'm an aussie even to the extent 100% of my income and tax is Australian. I fully understand the ping issues with Australian based MMO players.

The OP asked was there going to be an Asian server? If APAC is meant to be Asia Pacific then it is very poorly named as Caspian said its more correctly Oceania and should be referred to as such.

If this game turns out to be as ping dependent as forecast then SBS best option to service the English speakers in Eastern and South Eastern Asia is to locate the US west server as close as possible to the gateways coming in from Hawaii.

10/16/2017 1:23:32 PM #6

I can live with the Server being in Hawaii...

But back to OP's question. As shown by SilkyBazaar, with location of the APAC server now, anyone living north of Singapore/Malaysia will get a better ping on the NA-W server.

My ping to Sydney from Singapore is still better than NA-W. I'll be playing on APAC.

10/16/2017 4:54:43 PM #7

I live in China and my ping is way better connecting to west coast. I will test it right now one sec. Without VPN

I have 100mb internet not sure how much that effects anything.

Ping to Sydney 280 Ping to East Coast 251 Ping to Hawaii 224

10/16/2017 4:58:47 PM #8

I'm pretty sure that the last estimate we heard had the Oceanic server in Seoul, but a lot has changed since then.

Count of Boros

Luna (NA-E)  Ⓛ  Vornair Ⓥ  Dawn's Reach (The Stormlands)

10/17/2017 3:37:57 AM #9

I live in Thailand too and I used to think that I'll likely play in US west server but a few months ago I play Dark & Light and they have AU and US server. In that game it seem AU server has a better ping than US and it was around 160.

Also from your ping info I don't see much different between AU, US and EU server.

Plan to be just an explorer and trader, will most likely be Jenoan in fourth kingdom of OCE server

10/17/2017 5:45:28 PM #10

Anyone in Asia choosing to go to the US West server doesn't understand the distances involved and needs to go check a world map and actually see how big the Pacific Ocean is.

The general distance between somewhere like Thailand and Australia is 5,228 km. The distance between Thailand and the US west Coast (California) is 12,781 km. That's way more than double the distance.

Anyone from Asia really should be joining APAC.

10/17/2017 6:07:17 PM #11

Posted By SoulSpark at 7:45 PM - Tue Oct 17 2017

Anyone in Asia choosing to go to the US West server doesn't understand the distances involved and needs to go check a world map and actually see how big the Pacific Ocean is.

The general distance between somewhere like Thailand and Australia is 5,228 km. The distance between Thailand and the US west Coast (California) is 12,781 km. That's way more than double the distance.

Distance isn't everything. Sometimes congestion or other issues can actually cause increased ping that excedes the travel distance through the underwater cables... As well as just company relations... Some US customers trying to access services on the network of other US internet providers then their own actually are routed via Europe or Asia first because accessing the network of that other IPSs is cheaper via another country then doing so directly from one IPS to another... Signals from some IPSes have to wait in queue before being sent through the infrastructure of some other IPSes etc. The speed of the signal through the cables at the bottom of the sea can actually be significantly faster then going via multiple systems belonging to different IPSes being processed and then routed onwards... The speed in the cables is close to light speed. The computers in each end isn't anywhere close to as fast though...

10/17/2017 7:14:07 PM #12

Posted By SoulSpark at 12:45 AM - Wed Oct 18 2017

Very sorry but another comment from a person that doesn't relise how big Australia is. Sydney where is the most logical place for a server is over 3K Km from the top end of Australia. So while Thailand maybe 5k from Aust its still the size of Europe to get to Sydney.

The other factor is that the cables providing internet connection do not follow direct lines, the largest capacity connections from Asia to Australia actually go via Hawaii and some smaller capacities go via Guam.

10/18/2017 12:41:16 AM #13

Posted By SoulSpark at 04:45 AM - Wed Oct 18 2017

It's almost like you didn't see SilkyBazaar post at all where he talks about being from Thailand and then linking what pings he will get. Only getting 10 ping less, assuming the server is even in Sydney. Big deal, people are going from east side of US to west side with more of a ping difference. Yet no one tells them to only go on whatever side of the country they are from.

10/18/2017 2:18:45 AM #14

Hell with the ping, join us on APAC, we have a friendlier crowd!

10/18/2017 7:03:00 AM #15

There is a company called battle ping that many of my friends use here, It can cut your ping in half at times.