COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Steal a feature from another game

Hello everyone. I saw a post like this once on another forum and I thought it would be fun to recreate it here. The titles says it all, if you could bring a feature from another game into Elyria what would it be?

For me it would be the combat stance in Black Desert Online (BDO). Just fell head over heels in love with their system. For those that don't know it this is how it works: when you are out of combat, you can use your keyboard keys and mouse buttons to interact with the environment and as shortcuts. But when you press Tab you change to combat stance and the same keys and mouse buttons perform attacks. This means that you can use the same set of keys for combat and non combat actions. No need to use numbers or F keys. For me that game has the best default keybinds of all the games I've tried.

A feature that is not exactly from a game but I would love to have is using our characters as avatars on the forums. This is how it works on the WoW forums and the great thing about it is how fun it is to RP with your actual characters. I used to love posting on the RP forums. In fact I only ever RPed on the forums, never in game (in part because using the forums meant not having to "lose" gametime in RP). Having your avatar means that people can get an idea of your character at a glance and react/interact accordingly.

So, what features would you like to steal for Elyria ;)

Make decisions based on what you want, not what you want to avoid.

10/16/2017 10:55:24 PM #1

The crime and detective system from Salem, hands down.

Salem Online had one kill permadeath, so tracking of crime was important to balance. I haven't looked at it in years so maybe its changed, but they used intuitive "scents" and "evidence", produced as interactable exclamation points, whenever someone trespassed, stole from, assaulted, or murdered anyone else.

The severity of the crime determined how long the "evidence" stayed behind, and how long it could be used to track the general direction of the perpetrator. All you would get was an arrow on your UI pointing in the direction of the criminal - they could be seconds or hours away, and your evidence lasted only so long.

If the perp was found, however, they could be attacked with impunity. People behave themselves relatively well unless they really think they can get away with it or fend off the hunters coming for them.

It was simple and pretty well balanced. A system like that could be iterated on for CoE.

10/16/2017 11:30:28 PM #2

The game is an old one and I haven't played it for almost a decade, so I can't remember its name. But, it was an old top down MMORPG, and I vividly remember seeing players set up merchant stalls wherever they wanted to.

In towns you would see people take an empty space and turn it into a full sized market in minutes, and then after a few hours, the market would be gone just as fast. Or, you would see the occasional player set up a stall on the side of the road.

I would love to see this system in CoE, I think it would add to the feeling that the world is alive. Imagine walking down the road and seeing a man sitting on a carpet with their wares spread out before them. Or hearing about a trade caravan entering town and see their wagons circle and set up shop.

The mystery of the universe is like one big jigsaw puzzle, and we are forever discovering new pieces.

10/17/2017 2:07:40 AM #3

@Orikoren the merchant stall system like that could be as old as RO or some other game on that period but maybe because in some server the market is too big and crowded with many merchant and it make the server lag so the auction system is later developed to replace it.

but I also do like the old system that I can walk all day around the market to find the goods that hidden in the corner of the town and there are many good product in the stall.

with new auction system the most tactic they use to sell goods is price war, it is too boring.

Plan to be just an explorer and trader, will most likely be Jenoan in fourth kingdom of OCE server

10/17/2017 1:31:58 PM #4

Assassin's creed (brotherhood, or other's where the mechanic is present) social circles.

I would like to see this mechanic implemented, but with an entirely different purpose than that used in assassin's creed. I would like to see them implementing the interaction/gossip system but in this kind of fashion, where people can join in on conversations, instead of just having a 1 on 1 conversation like in other games (Skyrim, Oblivion, any singleplayer game really) I could mention games like:

Puzzle Pirates:

Or SkyParty but I wouldn't want it to be a perfect circle (the assassin's creed isn't). They could also increase the area for speaking in crowds or around tables.

People in a vicinity could also listen in on the conversation, or walk up and participate.

If I am to copy (straight from another game to this one) a feature I would probably copy the movement of assassin's creed brotherhood.

I liked that you normally walks

Shift=Sprint (fast but are easily knocked over)

Ctrl=Push people out the way (And Ctrl+Shift would make you run slower but forcefully push people out the way, and walking and just pressing ctrl would just gently shove yourself through.)

That or the carriage system in Syndicate, I liked that too :>

10/17/2017 2:19:48 PM #5

The boat mechanics from archeage. Even though the game had it's flaws I think the boating system was really good. It was fun/easy enough for anyone to use if needed but enough of a skill check in combat and maneuvering a skilled person could make a difference driving.

10/17/2017 4:01:50 PM #6

The crafting and other systems from A Tale in the Desert.

Avid wiki editor, with a special interest in categories, navboxes, and infoboxes.

10/17/2017 5:37:54 PM #7

Posted By HeadUpHigh at

Hello everyone. I saw a post like this once on another forum and I thought it would be fun to recreate it here. The titles says it all, if you could bring a feature from another game into Elyria what would it be?

For me it would be the combat stance in Black Desert Online (BDO). Just fell head over heels in love with their system. For those that don't know it this is how it works: when you are out of combat, you can use your keyboard keys and mouse buttons to interact with the environment and as shortcuts. But when you press Tab you change to combat stance and the same keys and mouse buttons perform attacks. This means that you can use the same set of keys for combat and non combat actions. No need to use numbers or F keys. For me that game has the best default keybinds of all the games I've tried.

A feature that is not exactly from a game but I would love to have is using our characters as avatars on the forums. This is how it works on the WoW forums and the great thing about it is how fun it is to RP with your actual characters. I used to love posting on the RP forums. In fact I only ever RPed on the forums, never in game (in part because using the forums meant not having to "lose" gametime in RP). Having your avatar means that people can get an idea of your character at a glance and react/interact accordingly.

So, what features would you like to steal for Elyria ;)

This feature was used long before BDO. There was an ancient game that used Z to move in and out of combat mode. It wasn't as big as BDO but it's still around.

10/17/2017 5:56:22 PM #8

for me it would be the stealth mechanics in Ultima Online

what made them notable in my opinion was that stealth speed was limited to a walk (vs. for example my character in Elder Scrolls Online could actually sprint in stealth faster than many people could ride on horseback -talk about broken mechanic)

there was also a limit as to how many paces you could walk while stealthed before having to pause, otherwise you would break out of stealth - the cause of death for many a careless stealther - it was a s few as 2-3 steps (tiles) for a novice, and if i recall correctly, something like 12 for the top level

you could not pop into stealth if you were within a certain distance of any mobs, npcs, players etc

if you took damage from an AoE spell, trap etc it immediately popped you out of stealth - DoT attacks were great against stealthers

i am somebody who loves stealthing and believe it should be a challenging skill commensurate with risk vs. reward mechanics in an mmo sandbox, rather than an OP anybody can do it

from what i have seen of the care the studio is putting in to mechanics and skills, i have a feeling they'll come up with a decent and challenging stealth system

10/17/2017 7:29:52 PM #9

Because quite a few new comers to CoE are wary of the griefers and gankers that have disrupted so many previous games, I would like to see some form the Tribunal System from League of Legends implemented. It allowed players to review grievances and decide guilt or innocence for a variety of in-game actions which has led to a decrease in the vitriol I have witnessed while playing League over the past 6+ years.

I know that this is an "out of game" mechanic, but it would have a very powerful effect on in-game actions.

Three aberrations that have plagued gamers from the beginning: The Lag Monster, the Mistell Maven and the Typo-Daemon. Their actions have to led to laughter, anger and tears since the beginning of the Internet.

10/17/2017 7:57:53 PM #10

Posted By Drun Redforge at 6:37 PM - Tue Oct 17 2017

This feature was used long before BDO. There was an ancient game that used Z to move in and out of combat mode. It wasn't as big as BDO but it's still around.

I imagined that might be the case, but since BDO is the game I play that has this feature I used it as my example.

Posted By Orikoren at 12:30 AM - Tue Oct 17 2017

The game is an old one and I haven't played it for almost a decade, so I can't remember its name. But, it was an old top down MMORPG, and I vividly remember seeing players set up merchant stalls wherever they wanted to.

In towns you would see people take an empty space and turn it into a full sized market in minutes, and then after a few hours, the market would be gone just as fast. Or, you would see the occasional player set up a stall on the side of the road.

I hope we get a feature like this. Since travel is suppose to be time consuming and we don't have teleportation, travelling merchants might actually be important.

Posted By Vucar at 11:55 PM - Mon Oct 16 2017

The crime and detective system from Salem, hands down.

Salem Online had one kill permadeath, so tracking of crime was important to balance. I haven't looked at it in years so maybe its changed, but they used intuitive "scents" and "evidence", produced as interactable exclamation points, whenever someone trespassed, stole from, assaulted, or murdered anyone else.

I've always wondered how the devs plan on tackling investigation of deviant behaviour in game and this sounds like a pretty cool system.

Make decisions based on what you want, not what you want to avoid.