COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
How to deal with being overwhelmed by features?

Hi, just a quick question. I went through the promised features of CoE and I've realized that I have absolutely no idea what kind of character I'd like to have. Some possibilities are narrowed down because I can't quite pay hundreds of dollars on a game but I am still left with dozens of possibilities.

How do you handle with this? How do you narrow it down to one specific thing? Should I just randomize it all ?

~Illuminatos

There was once a time, when only God had fire..

10/18/2017 2:58:37 PM #1

Maybe just start out exploring the game and its mechanics a bit when it comes out, then ask your local mayor about what roles the town needs and draw a decision from that, no need to be sorted so soon.

10/18/2017 3:12:04 PM #2

When i was trying to decide what i wanted to do in CoE, i sat back and envisioned myself playing this character, and knowing i had a big impact on this characters story i laid out some different paths that i would want to take this character on, and build their story.

Essentially i built a few stories i wanted my character to have, and eventually picked one, and only after i did that i decided to start picking out different traits, skills and communities. Once you have a story path in-mind of what you want to walk your character down, the rest is just putting the pieces (mechanics) you want to get there with together.

Alt text - can be left blank

10/18/2017 6:22:44 PM #3

I don't think there is anything wrong with having no idea what you want your character to do. If anything, I'm envious of your ability to go and do whatever you want.

Talk to people. See what groups are out there. Try a bunch of different professions. Explore the world. Try everything.

Eventually things will fall into place.

10/19/2017 9:38:48 PM #4

Posted By Enlightened at

How do you handle with this? How do you narrow it down to one specific thing? Should I just randomize it all ?

In a scenario like this, I just let time work it's magic. And time is something we all have at present. Just keep thinking about what most interests you... see if there are groups that cater for it, enhancing your experience... and as you think about it more, and talk about it more, hopefully a clear winner will emerge in terms of what you want to pursue.

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.

10/19/2017 10:53:09 PM #5

If you are wanting to plan your character now while waiting for launch I would suggest you read up on the Tribes info. This will provide you with the pro's and con's of each.

Once you understand that aspect you can think about what playstyle you want to follow. As mentioned above draft up some scenarios - crafting, combat, merchant, etc. You can then look at the Tribes and see which might suit that particular playstyle. The other option is to decide what Tribe you want to play then determine what style of play best suits.

Regardless, there is still plenty of time to decide.

The attention span of a computer is only as long as its extension cord...(Friend Code: 9D26A7)

10/20/2017 5:03:52 AM #6

I would personally get the list and literally start crossing out things you do not want to do. Then recompile the list to see how much smaller it has become so it is less daunting. There are so many aspects to the game it is hard to decide, but if you really enjoy the game you can always get a second account a spark of life only costs $30. I also agree with Nitt if you look at the tribes and fall in love with one that could be helpful with your decision. For example if you like the Brudvir you aren't going to be a cabbage farmer, and if you love the Kypiq you aren't going to be a hunter most likely in these cases it is a sandbox you can try to farm cabbage in the taiga or you can move to a better climate. Also as a gentry it will matter where you decide to settle in land selection if there are no trees around it would be hard to start as a lumberjack ect. Along that point you could start talking to mayors and see what their plans are and get involved with them and developing the town and working together to make a good decision, you might even make a friend :)

I hope you find out what you want to do!

10/20/2017 7:12:50 AM #7

Take a step back and prioritize. It looks like a lot, but some will be striped away and not everything will be as hard as it seems at a first glance. When you start at a new job it all looks very tough at the first day. And after a week it looks almost like if you do it for years.

10/20/2017 5:05:27 PM #8

Posted By Ilyria at 08:12 AM - Fri Oct 20 2017

Take a step back and prioritize. It looks like a lot, but some will be striped away and not everything will be as hard as it seems at a first glance. When you start at a new job it all looks very tough at the first day. And after a week it looks almost like if you do it for years.

Holy words mate... prioritize. Choose a server. Choose Tribe ans with the tribe you automatically will be part of a Kingdom.

10/20/2017 5:35:53 PM #9

Posted By StrawHat at 10:12 AM - Wed Oct 18 2017

When i was trying to decide what i wanted to do in CoE, i sat back and envisioned myself playing this character, and knowing i had a big impact on this characters story i laid out some different paths that i would want to take this character on, and build their story.

Essentially i built a few stories i wanted my character to have, and eventually picked one, and only after i did that i decided to start picking out different traits, skills and communities. Once you have a story path in-mind of what you want to walk your character down, the rest is just putting the pieces (mechanics) you want to get there with together.

^^^

Try the game out in alpha\beta,

try out the different mechanical aspects of your stories you have created,

until you find the mechanics you enjoy the most, then further flesh out that base story you created yourself.