COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
NPC's + Machine learning

Imagine if this was a possible feature, imagine dynamic npc dialogue.

Discuss

10/19/2017 12:37:51 PM #1

It is a feature. Players will write scripts for their characters and the Npcs will learn from them and evolve.

Unless you mean language specifically and not just as an example. In that case I'm not sure but it seems likely since the engine will be learning other behaviours.

Since you're new, I'm not sure if you are aware that when you log out your characters continue to exist in the world. The AI takes over at that time and controls them, but you can also program them. Is those scripts for offline characters (OPCs) that the engine will use to change the NPC behaviour. Technically they can include speech, so I guess the NPCs can learn it. How it will actually work it's not known yet. At least not by me, other people might correct me if I'm wrong :)

Make decisions based on what you want, not what you want to avoid.

10/20/2017 7:02:24 AM #2

Posted By HeadUpHigh at 08:37 AM - Thu Oct 19 2017

It is a feature. Players will write scripts for their characters and the Npcs will learn from them and evolve.

Unless you mean language specifically and not just as an example. In that case I'm not sure but it seems likely since the engine will be learning other behaviours.

Since you're new, I'm not sure if you are aware that when you log out your characters continue to exist in the world. The AI takes over at that time and controls them, but you can also program them. Is those scripts for offline characters (OPCs) that the engine will use to change the NPC behaviour. Technically they can include speech, so I guess the NPCs can learn it. How it will actually work it's not known yet. At least not by me, other people might correct me if I'm wrong :)

It's not machine learning per se...

The players would have to ascribe actions to their avatars through the use of OPC scripts and these OPC scripts will define their behaviors leading to certain responses.

For example, as I am lazy and don't want to learn to customize scripts, I will probably use the default ones provided in order to keep my avatar within my town/home and train/work the profession. The OPC scripts would allow for the avatar to talk as needed, such as "I am busy at the moment. Let's talk another time." This would minimize issues with PCs if they try to interact with them (I'll prob change the responses so there is some ambiguity over whether it is an OPC).

I don't really want to do grindy stuff and would prefer to be in control when travelling or in dangerous areas.

Friend Code: 1BD8F6