COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Skills upgrade hehe

I am sick of mmo games that make leveling skills easy, boring and quick. Please Caspian, by the Fae, make levelling skill take a lot of time but also make it entertaining (I know you introduced minigames when upgrading skills so nvm 😂)

Also let every single person in Elyria (except royalty) start with the bare basics of everything like short swords. ie no elyrian will ever see a bastard sword, only short swords. But a high level blacksmith would be able to construct a bastare sword, making certain weapons rare (I dont know where i am goibg with this lol) Actually never mind.

My point is getting slightly better weapons should be something that would take generations to make with the rarest and most finite artifacts and materials by the most skilled artisans who took generations to perfect! 😁

And if anyone eats my friends they will have ME TO ANSWER TO! You better not be a janoan or brudvir reading this! Blessed be the Fae. 😊

Yours Sincerely, Verde the Zealous Kypiq

10/21/2017 3:03:56 AM #1

But leveling skill will take forever. A smithy for explain can only get to master in one lifetime. Take several to get to the top (legendary). Assuming they focus on that as well. Not like running around with the best swords made means much if you have some serious lack of skill.

10/21/2017 4:47:14 AM #2

The "levels" won't be as you think of them, but rather skill tiers.

The CoE wiki explains it pretty well in terms of "leveling."

I don't want to end up typing too much, but you should also look into how players will be introduced and grow.

Links:
https://chroniclesofelyria.gamepedia.com/Tribes
Certain tribes have a certain propensity for certain skills

https://chroniclesofelyria.gamepedia.com/Player_Characters
Get you started on how stuff works

https://chroniclesofelyria.gamepedia.com/Skills
Skills and info for them

https://chroniclesofelyria.gamepedia.com/Families
Role of your Family

https://chroniclesofelyria.gamepedia.com/ChroniclesofElyria_Wiki
Wiki link just in case you are interested in other stuff

Friend Code: 1BD8F6

10/21/2017 1:37:40 PM #3

I can't wait for stories like being the King's big game Hunter with a few other Hunter's and your the only ones that can. If you get caught hunting without permission well off with your hand. That be great wouldn't losing parts of your body because you did a naughty thing ;).

Just a lonely peasant on the road looking towards a distance future with the sweat on my back and a tear of cloth in my hand a family crest it must be. A adventure will i have, I dream of dreams my destiny awakens me.

Friend Code: A48E0C

10/21/2017 8:54:16 PM #4

Not only is this how skill progression will actually work (it will take several lifetimes to become Legendary), but technology and research will slowly advance as well.

As a trivial example (since we don't know what all will be available yet), say Blacksmiths can only smith shortswords early on, but through research and practice someone learns how to make a longsword. Now (once the patent expires if he belongs to a guild) everyone can make longswords. Eventually people will learn how to make maces, bastard swords, halberds, etc.

While some of these will require a higher smithing skill to create, not all will. If you know how to make a shortsword it stands to reason that you can probably also make a longsword. As such, you can jump straight to making longswords now that the technology exists. You don't have to grind through making 500 shortswords just to get your skill high enough to make a longsword.

10/22/2017 2:53:08 AM #5

Is this a troll?

10/22/2017 4:05:40 AM #6

Posted By Yorick at 10:53 PM - Sat Oct 21 2017

Is this a troll?

This is a Chronicles of Elyria forum thread.

Friend Code: 1BD8F6

10/22/2017 4:12:52 AM #7

I don't understand why it would take "generations to make" slightly better weapons. It's not like we're starting off in the stone age.

10/22/2017 6:43:08 AM #8

Posted By Lambtron at 9:12 PM - Sat Oct 21 2017

I don't understand why it would take "generations to make" slightly better weapons. It's not like we're starting off in the stone age.

In terms of technology you're correct. But, in terms of skills, it can take generations to accomplish a specific goal. The skills don't have a hard cap, and I don't know for sure if they will even have a soft cap. However, the journey from inept novice to absolute master in a single skill can't be reached within the first few generations, if ever. But, there is a system that helps you get there. Each new character gets a boost in learning the same skills that your previous character learned.

Using the smithing weapons example. My first character becomes a blacksmith, who then specializes into swordsmithing. Unfortunately by the time my character can craft journeyman level swords, he is too old and can either no longer work or dies of old age. So he never has a chance to really get anywhere as a swordsmith.

My next character with the same soul though, now has that boost I mentioned, so he trains and eventually reaches master level swordsmith by the time he is old and dies. The next character gets there faster and is able to reach grand master level then dies, and it repeats.

This system is to prevent anyone from becoming the best there ever is too soon in the game's story. But, it also gives players a reason to keep coming back to the same skill sets with each new character so as to push for that next step.

Also, as a side note. If I recall correctly, skill level won't grant you new schematics or knowledge in and of itself. It simply gives you the ability to learn new schematics, research new schematics, and allow you to get higher quality results from your skills.

The mystery of the universe is like one big jigsaw puzzle, and we are forever discovering new pieces.