COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Tribes, races, and region

I’m going to be brutally honest here, but this needs to be said. I’m not a fan of the “tribes”, or more aptly said, these races. These are my opinions, though I have been speaking with many who feel the same way I do.

My issue is being forced into one race or the other depending on where I fall in the order of land selection. If this is truly a game where I can carve my own story, it starts with the race I want to play. Also. These races make the game feel extremely constrictive to me. During KS, when I backed this game, I was sold the idea of creating a community in a game where we could build our own story and help shape the culture of the realm. I feel that how the tribes are being implemented only works to diminish that idea.

I don’t dislike the concept of races being a part of the game, I think it will add a level of cultural and morphological diversity, but how they are being implemented is what I take issue with. If each Kingdom were to be split up into regions where a particular tribe were prevalent, it could work and would bring a diversity to each Kingdom in a feasible manner. For instance, a Kingdom in a northern area could have Brudvir, Hrothi, “Northern Kypiqs” in a densely forested area, Neran being the more diverse race could find a home anywhere, “Northern Dras” In the bogs of the northern region etc. Passive bonuses for climate could be based upon where your family originated instead of your starting race, but certain passives could still be tied to race, such as building bonuses etc. There could still be one race that is more prevalent in each realm than the others, and not all races necessarily have to be represented if there is no way to make it fit in a sensible matter, though with a little creativity, I think most of the starting races could be fit into each Kingdom.

10/22/2017 1:04:00 PM #1

I think it’s already been said there will be more than one tribe in a Kingdom, just because of the amount of space it takes up?

Baron Zachariah Evrouin

The Barony of Septenstatio

Town Discord - discord.gg/e2kMTuZ

10/22/2017 1:24:04 PM #2

Having all the tribes in one kingdom does not make sense but each kingdom having one or two does.

Friend code: FF2B6D
10/22/2017 1:29:10 PM #3

Posted By Athad at 09:24 AM - Sun Oct 22 2017

Having all the tribes in one kingdom does not make sense but each kingdom having one or two does.

Care to elaborate?

10/22/2017 1:36:20 PM #4

Posted By ZTB at 12:04 AM - Mon Oct 23 2017

I think it’s already been said there will be more than one tribe in a Kingdom, just because of the amount of space it takes up?

There will be enclaves of other tribes. But most kingdoms will be known by one. Has to basically work that way for nobles anyway. Take the waerd for example, culturally they wouldn't accepted another tribe leading them as king.

10/22/2017 1:42:09 PM #5

Posted By Gunnlang at 09:36 AM - Sun Oct 22 2017

There will be enclaves of other tribes. But most kingdoms will be known by one. Has to basically work that way for nobles anyway. Take the waerd for example, culturally they wouldn't accepted another tribe leading them as king.

Again, this only works to restrict what I as the player can do. Races aren't a monolith. One sect or tribe of one particular race in one region can have a different outlook on another tribe or secto of another race from region to region. Culture can be vastly different in the same races across the world. That's part of he problem I'm addressing. This "tribe" idea is convoluting culture and race.

10/22/2017 1:52:31 PM #6

Most of this is pretty good and agreeable. Everything but this "I don’t dislike the concept of races being a part of the game, I think it will add a level of cultural and morphological diversity, but how they are being implemented is what I take issue with."

Personally I think that these races being so drastically different have no place in a game that has been labeled as low fantasy. Sure that may have changed, like almost everything else they've said since KS, but thats a whole other topic. I would be willing to compromise and keep them in, I guess, if they just gave people the ability to choose. I just feel that making different races is a cheap way of giving "diversity" when you can do the same with backstory and history. That, in my opinion, would give a lot more depth than "generic race #20". This is especially true when you can and realize that some races are just reskinned races from other RPG games. Particularly the Hrothi, which are literally almost word for word in culture, drawbacks, and bonuses, D&D dwarves. Almost like they literally took them from the players hand book and just renamed them.

I also feel the whole evolution thing is a cop out too as this also has very little to do with actual evolution. They are either different races. The only way they make sense being part of the same species is 1) Magic or 2) Someone, I'm guessing the gods or something, selectively bred these people the way humans did dogs IRL. You can look to humans IRL to see that environmental evolution alone doesn't cause such drastic differences in appearance. Some taller or darker, some burlier or more lithe, sure. But seriously? People that look like sharks and literal midgets in trees? Those are definitely different races, or have been selectively bred.

10/22/2017 1:57:32 PM #7

Posted By King_Einar at 06:42 AM - Sun Oct 22 2017

Posted By Gunnlang at 09:36 AM - Sun Oct 22 2017

Again, this only works to restrict what I as the player can do. Races aren't a monolith. One sect or tribe of one particular race in one region can have a different outlook on another tribe or secto of another race from region to region. Culture can be vastly different in the same races across the world. That's part of he problem I'm addressing. This "tribe" idea is convoluting culture and race.

I will have to disagree with you your Majesty. Tribes bring flavour to the world of Elyria. I dont think tribes are restricting because a player belonging to a tribe does not have to follow the culture/traditions of said tribe.

Also it would make conflict between kingdoms more meaningful due to 'tribist' individuals disagreeing with other cultures. Gives an excuse to start wars.

Take kypiq for example. If you dare harm and/or eat tmy friends of the forest, i wont hesitate to kill you. See? Tribes work! 😊

Yours Sincerely, Verde the Zealous Kypiq

10/22/2017 2:08:41 PM #8

Allow me to clarify a few things.

First, tribe is not the same as race. What is being proposed in this game is a selection of races, or rather species. They are different species, or races, due to their morphological differences.

These species can be split up into different tribes in different biomes.

Second, a species is not a monolith, as I said. How the tribe of one of these species feels about a species or tribe may vary from place to place.

This could bring much more nuance to the game and make it a bit more realistic. Rather than "I'm a Dras, therefore I hate all Janoans!", which is dull, it could be "My tribe of Dras, here in the bogs of the north hate the Janoans to our south because of a history our two tribes have". It could even be "My tribe of Janoans dislike this other tribe of Janoans to our West because of a blood feud"

10/22/2017 2:14:51 PM #9

I still think the the best answer is doing away with it all together. Allow the players to come up with reasons to ally or war with each other. We don't need predefined races, or tribes, to move the story along for us. To me it feels so artificial and forced. It all goes back to playing my story and my way. Even if there are different tribes within the different races, those races still hate other races, making on I pick have to hate that race even if I dont want to. And yes, the players themselves might not, but NPC attitudes are a thing and its been stated that that takes a long time to change. I dont feel that my attitudes on the world should be defined based on a race I may or may not have wanted to play anyway.

10/22/2017 2:17:16 PM #10

Each tribe/race have their own culture religion, language and biom. It doesn't make sense to have all the biomes and tribe's in one country, one or two yes depending on the size of the kingdom.

10/22/2017 2:20:54 PM #11

Posted By Athad at 10:17 AM - Sun Oct 22 2017

Each tribe/race have their own culture religion, language and biom. It doesn't make sense to have all the biomes and tribe's in one country, one or two yes depending on the size of the kingdom.

They made this system and can unmake this system. We're not exactly dealing with decades of lore here. This game is still years from release.

They wrote this system and they can change it. What I'm saying is it feels forced. It doesn't feel immersive to me. It's not how race or culture work.

10/22/2017 2:37:58 PM #12

I agree with Einar.

In addition to the points he raised are the facts that some Kings and Nobles (along with all their people) who have paid thousands of dollars are going to be forced to play a race they don't like, indefinately (who knows how long it will take to change the dominant race in an area), and they've been told basically to deal with it.

But it's a game. It should be fun, not drudgery because you hate being a kypiq or hrothi, for example, when it could be just as likely for most other races to inhabit that area as well. Instead, they're locked into whatever's left.

I could see a compromise where there could be over-bioms, unseen and just a concept. So that instead of only 1-2 races per biom and there is no choice, a King could decide which tribes get populated in the region he chooses for his realm.

Let's call them hot, mild, and cold. For example:

Cold would allow a selection of Hrothi, Neran, Brudvir, Yoru (when available).

Mild could allow for Kypiq, Hrothi, Neran, To'resk, Janoa.

Hot would allow for Kypiq, To'resk, Janoa, Weard, and whatever the desert tribe is.

And if everyone or most people trend towards only a select few races, well that says something.

10/22/2017 3:29:47 PM #13

Thiere not building part of a world but a world with biomes from cold tundra to hot tropics, and each tribe belong to their biom. You can't have Brudvir in a hot climate or Janoa in cold one.

10/22/2017 3:36:08 PM #14

Posted By Athad at 11:29 AM - Sun Oct 22 2017

Thiere not building part of a world but a world with biomes from cold tundra to hot tropics, and each tribe belong to their biom. You can't have Brudvir in a hot climate or Janoa in cold one.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but you actually can. The devs have said migration is a thing, and nothing says a player cant move themselves. Also, being that nothing is out yet, all of it is a concept and concepts can and will change. Case in point, almost everything we know about the game.

10/22/2017 3:45:29 PM #15

Posted By Athad at 11:29 AM - Sun Oct 22 2017

Who says brudvir can't be in a hot climate and Janoa in a cold one? This is a game still heavily under development. So much has changed since KS, why not this? There's no reason this aspect of the races can't change to allow players more freedom. It's just a matter of rewriting something and making s few tweaks.