COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Question about the Magistrate-package

I have a question about the Magistrate-package. My current package is Proprietor. I could upgrade to Mayor but since I don't plan to own a settlement it seemed rather useless. At first I thought I would just stay at the Proprietor-package but we still have quite some time until we need to finish our layaways. On top of that I would be willing to spend more money on CoE.

The Magistrate-package has some intersting things like the DE and the EA Forum. Another bonus is the villa. My question is: In case I give my Mayor title away, can I still keep the villa and place it in another settlement or is it bound to mine?

I tried to look for an answer but couldn't find one. Thanks in advance for your replies.

10/22/2017 4:25:59 PM #1

The other day the announced that an ala carte store for that kind of thing is coming so I'd wait and see if the prices of what you want are in there and less than the full package upgrade. Have a look in the news forums for more details.

10/22/2017 4:33:11 PM #2

I think the villa was one of the things bound to the mayor title so you would lose that too if you gave the title away. Tho it might have changed and it actually sounds kinda silly to upgrade to magister from mayor if the villa is tied to the title and you would lose it just by giving away the title...

10/22/2017 4:45:48 PM #3

Yes, what Rufus said is correct. The villa/manor is used for governing one's settlement, thus it is tied to the title. You will not have it, if you give your title up.

10/22/2017 4:51:53 PM #4

From this post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/19128/ep-kits-and-item-projection

Land should be an a la carte item. I would wait and see how the system works itself out. If we can buy land from a la carte list I would buy land and build whatever I want later. Owing land is usually better than leasing it. Buy a small plot for cash crops and another for your home/shop more the better if u can afford the taxes. :)

10/22/2017 5:03:26 PM #5

My advice? Buy what you can through a la carte. If you don't want to have a city don't buy the city pledge. They've said you can buy into alpha that way, and I'm pretty sure you can also buy a better house as well.

10/22/2017 9:48:27 PM #6

Posted By Thursil at

I have a question about the Magistrate-package. My current package is Proprietor. I could upgrade to Mayor but since I don't plan to own a settlement it seemed rather useless. At first I thought I would just stay at the Proprietor-package but we still have quite some time until we need to finish our layaways. On top of that I would be willing to spend more money on CoE.

The Magistrate-package has some intersting things like the DE and the EA Forum. Another bonus is the villa. My question is: In case I give my Mayor title away, can I still keep the villa and place it in another settlement or is it bound to mine?

I tried to look for an answer but couldn't find one. Thanks in advance for your replies.

The Villa is more of a diplomacy building for hosting guests, not a house. Aside from perhaps being a place to host clients, it would have little use to someone who isn't in a position to host. Perhaps using enough EP to buy a plot and supplies to build a large building is a better option.

Corialli, Count of Louise

10/23/2017 6:55:45 PM #7

Posted By SumGhai at 11:51 AM - Sun Oct 22 2017

From this post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/19128/ep-kits-and-item-projection

Land should be an a la carte item. I would wait and see how the system works itself out. If we can buy land from a la carte list I would buy land and build whatever I want later. Owing land is usually better than leasing it. Buy a small plot for cash crops and another for your home/shop more the better if u can afford the taxes. :)

I seriously doubt that land is going to be an a le carte item, when they (Caspian) have already said previously it is something you can purchase with EP.

10/23/2017 10:03:55 PM #8

Posted By Blankwindow at 11:55 AM - Mon Oct 23 2017

Posted By SumGhai at 11:51 AM - Sun Oct 22 2017

I seriously doubt that land is going to be an a le carte item, when they (Caspian) have already said previously it is something you can purchase with EP.

I believe that is what they are pointing out. After all the link in their post is the EP kits and projections a le carte.

10/30/2017 1:47:21 PM #9

I don't think the villa is tied to the government unless placed by the Queen or King themselves or through the assets they own. Whoever has a title is a representative of the king/queen so by being granted a title you are granted access to their assets that pertain to the title.

IMO, the villa is yours and under your name as a citizen. Unless the rulers take it from you directly because you personally made it "the governors" mansion and with the purpose of always housing the current governor...then you lose it because it was your design when placing it.

BUT...MOST towns won't have villas and manors and they will simply have a small town hall. The governor/mayor doesn't NEED to live in the main place of politics. The manor/villa is simply a place to impress and host guests while YOU are the ruler and not the place of actual governance (the capital building/town hall/etc)

10/30/2017 3:05:33 PM #10

Posted By Magvad at 09:47 AM - Mon Oct 30 2017

I don't think the villa is tied to the government unless placed by the Queen or King themselves or through the assets they own. Whoever has a title is a representative of the king/queen so by being granted a title you are granted access to their assets that pertain to the title.

IMO, the villa is yours and under your name as a citizen. Unless the rulers take it from you directly because you personally made it "the governors" mansion and with the purpose of always housing the current governor...then you lose it because it was your design when placing it.

BUT...MOST towns won't have villas and manors and they will simply have a small town hall. The governor/mayor doesn't NEED to live in the main place of politics. The manor/villa is simply a place to impress and host guests while YOU are the ruler and not the place of actual governance (the capital building/town hall/etc)

The idea behind the Villa and Manor in the pledge packages is that they would be tied explicitly to the title and function housing for the current incumbent. This is something that Caspian has iterated himself time and time again. It is entirely possible to maintain your own assets, but the housing provided to you from the packages will only be yours so long as you keep your title.

10/30/2017 10:56:39 PM #11

Posted By Artsykidd at 11:05 AM - Mon Oct 30 2017

Posted By Magvad at 09:47 AM - Mon Oct 30 2017

The idea behind the Villa and Manor in the pledge packages is that they would be tied explicitly to the title and function housing for the current incumbent. This is something that Caspian has iterated himself time and time again. It is entirely possible to maintain your own assets, but the housing provided to you from the packages will only be yours so long as you keep your title.

I don't see how that could actually play out. Especially when they are selling them by themselves. I think they have changed their philosophy to make more sense with the reality of property ownership.

Now if you have a town, stick your mansion in the middle, and lose control of the town...yes, you lose the mansion. But if you retire and your mansion is in the countryside and you are raising horses outside of it...is it really necessary to make the other new ruler move in to that house? No. Especially if by that time you have a town hall and the guy has a different house (or even a different mansion the person bought by itself).

10/30/2017 11:20:44 PM #12

Posted By Magvad at 6:56 PM - Mon Oct 30 2017

I don't see how that could actually play out. Especially when they are selling them by themselves. I think they have changed their philosophy to make more sense with the reality of property ownership.

Now if you have a town, stick your mansion in the middle, and lose control of the town...yes, you lose the mansion. But if you retire and your mansion is in the countryside and you are raising horses outside of it...is it really necessary to make the other new ruler move in to that house? No. Especially if by that time you have a town hall and the guy has a different house (or even a different mansion the person bought by itself).

You say that, but if you take the time to look over Caspian's post, there are two important things to note about the Villa/Manor. Firstly, they both require the mayor title to purchase so even though they may be sold separately from the package, that requirement negates the idea. Secondly, both descriptions say this: "to place in your settlement and reside in while you remain mayor or baron." That is a pretty clear indicator that the villa and manor are reserved for the leader.

Like I pointed out before, Caspian has iterated this many times before, and has also told us that generally speaking, you would have a family home that you inherit and the villa or manor would be in addition to that. So, even in the event that you were to lose or relinquish your title, it's not as though your being forced to move out of you're only home. Rather, your're losing the residence that you were allowed to live in during your tenure as mayor.

10/30/2017 11:29:29 PM #13

Presumably, a skilled and prosperous merchant will want to build a mansion of their own once they are flush with success. They would acquire the land, engage an architect and craftspeople and set to building the abode of their dreams on the land they acquired. I see no reason why a mayor who has lost their title would be different. They may have lost the mansion related to their title, but hopefully, they will have garnered the wealth needed in the meantime to build an abode of their own not tied to any title or duty, and thus free from forfeiture of that nature.

• Snipehunter
10/31/2017 2:38:30 AM #14

When you are a Magistrate you get a furnished Villa. It is the property of the Crown and goes with the title. You only hold it "In Trust" and it is never yours. So @Thursil, your Magistrate villa is never "Thursil's", it is the Magistrate's.

Magistrate Pledge gets a furnished villa. A Mayor or Proprietor pledge doesn't get a villa.

With the Magistrate pledge you are a Mayor if you are intending to establish a settlement and you have the Villa from that Magistrate package. My understanding is that if you cease to be the Mayor you lose that villa you are holding "In Trust". So you will have to be sure to be the predominant land holder in your settlement or be the person appointed as Mayor at all times. Technically the person who registers the town Charter with the County is the mayor.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/6549/DJ-18-Kingdom-Land-Management

The package gives more than just a Villa though so there may be other incentives for wanting that pledge level regardless. And those benefits should go with your character regardless of if you lose the title.

And note this from that DJ-18:

Final comment on that, you'll likely have land under the county seat as a noble. You'll also likely have land elsewhere, not incorporated into the settlement. The land under the settlement becomes owned by the new noble but any land you had not part of the settlement remains your private lands. So if you've got a farm somewhere you can always flee to that if you need to.

Plots of land can be purchased from the Count or acquired by squatting(adverse possession). You don't have to spend EP for plots. If you buy a villa from the "a la carte menu" you can put it on any non-mayor plot and it will always be yours subject to destruction or loss by death when there is no heir for you to play.

10/31/2017 8:46:49 AM #15

Posted By TyrusStormwolf at 03:38 AM - Tue Oct 31 2017

When you are a Magistrate you get a furnished Villa. It is the property of the Crown and goes with the title. You only hold it "In Trust" and it is never yours. So @Thursil, your Magistrate villa is never "Thursil's", it is the Magistrate's.

Source?

I understand that with us getting pledges and things that go with it, for out-of-game reasons we can't trade willy-nilly before release. But once in-game .... isn't it up to me whether the villa (or manor in my case), belongs to the settlement, my family or me personally?

(Not saying you're wrong, just looking for confirmation)

Count Lofi of Skaaney, friend code 8766AA