COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
NPCs and Crime

How likely will it be, that the average NPC commits a crime? Will we see NPC mayors go corrupt and starving citizens resort to theft? Or will there be specific NPCs that are scripted to be more deviant?

Corialli, Count of Louise

10/22/2017 10:23:04 PM #1

The NPCs are supposed to be indistinguishable from PCs, and are supposed to be able to do anything that a PC can do. Given this, I expect quite a few crimes committed by NPCs. Their crimes may even be more frequent than the PCs given the fact that they are always active.

Something to keep in mind, is that the NPCs are supposed to have their own goals and dreams, as well as their own stories. I expect NPCs to be just as unpredictable as PCs.

The mystery of the universe is like one big jigsaw puzzle, and we are forever discovering new pieces.

10/23/2017 9:55:52 AM #2

Posted By Orikoren at 12:23 AM - Mon Oct 23 2017

The NPCs are supposed to be indistinguishable from PCs, and are supposed to be able to do anything that a PC can do. Given this, I expect quite a few crimes committed by NPCs. Their crimes may even be more frequent than the PCs given the fact that they are always active.

Something to keep in mind, is that the NPCs are supposed to have their own goals and dreams, as well as their own stories. I expect NPCs to be just as unpredictable as PCs.

In theory I'd agree with you, but don't you think that this could be hard to program? I think that minor crimes, as food theft or pickpocketing may be feasible for NPCs but I doubt an NPC will commit 'higher crimes'. For instance, I don't think an NPC will randomly decide to attack and loot another NPC or PC, given that Caspian has mentioned that even for PCs, attacking other characters for looting will have harsh consequences and it is not expected to happen that often

10/23/2017 12:45:18 PM #3

Posted By YHess at 04:55 AM - Mon Oct 23 2017

In theory I'd agree with you, but don't you think that this could be hard to program? I think that minor crimes, as food theft or pickpocketing may be feasible for NPCs but I doubt an NPC will commit 'higher crimes'. For instance, I don't think an NPC will randomly decide to attack and loot another NPC or PC, given that Caspian has mentioned that even for PCs, attacking other characters for looting will have harsh consequences and it is not expected to happen that often

Make an NPC desperate enough for a resource they'll commit crimes to get it just like any pc would.

10/23/2017 2:43:46 PM #4

Wonder how far you'd have to push an NPC to get them to rebel.

An NPC Geuvara

10/23/2017 6:51:56 PM #5

Posted By YHess at 04:55 AM - Mon Oct 23 2017

Caspian has mentioned that deviant NPCs can and will decide to go off in to the wilderness \ untravelled areas to setup bandit camps, from which they would then raid nearby trade routes and\or settlements.

At PAX east Caspian said they are aiming for 15% of the population to be deviant. And in my opinion he specifically said population (or I'm miss-remembering, to lazy to go re-watch that video), not pcs or player population, because that includes NPCs.