COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
Inbreeding

Will there be a punishment for inbreeding? I mean marring an siring children with your own family members? Like your sister, your mother, your cousin or grand cousin? Because it seems to me at one point in time, every character will be the member of one family, since with ever generation, families have to be forged together.

carnead Die Entdecker und Verteidiger Avagasts suchen DICH! Egal welcher Berufsstand in unserer Stadt ist für jeden platz! [Geselle dich zu uns!] https://discord.gg/Sc6TyGR

11/7/2017 9:58:10 AM #1

Reproducing isn't limited to players though. You can take NPCs as spouses and reproduce with them. So inbreeding seems like it would be more of a choice than anyone having to inbreed at one time or another.

11/7/2017 10:24:31 AM #2

right. well that is good to know. I wounder still if there is a consequence for inbreeding. :)

carnead Die Entdecker und Verteidiger Avagasts suchen DICH! Egal welcher Berufsstand in unserer Stadt ist für jeden platz! [Geselle dich zu uns!] https://discord.gg/Sc6TyGR

11/7/2017 10:54:38 AM #3

Could be. I was actually wondering if pregnancy is going to be a thing in the game. Might make things interesting for anyone playing a female toon. Trying to decide when to have a child so it doesn't conflict with your role, for the female toons that are combat/action oriented.

11/7/2017 12:12:32 PM #4

Inbreeding will lead to a higher chance for negative mutations. Both male and female players will have a one week cool down after signing a child contract before they can sign another one, but there will be no changes to their attributes or appearance.

Shieldwall Strong!

11/7/2017 3:00:07 PM #5

Posted By MaverickMissy at 04:54 AM - Tue Nov 07 2017

Could be. I was actually wondering if pregnancy is going to be a thing in the game. Might make things interesting for anyone playing a female toon. Trying to decide when to have a child so it doesn't conflict with your role, for the female toons that are combat/action oriented.

Devs have said repeatedly there will be no gestation time. Child will pop in to existence instantly as soon as the child contract is signed.

Because they do not want to penalize females for what would be most of an IRL week while they are pregnant.

11/7/2017 3:28:16 PM #6

Posted By Blankwindow at 09:00 AM - Tue Nov 07 2017

Devs have said repeatedly there will be no gestation time. Child will pop in to existence instantly as soon as the child contract is signed.

Because they do not want to penalize females for what would be most of an IRL week while they are pregnant.

Devs can say it as repeatedly as they like. You miss out on a lot of info when you're on hiatus for a few months.

11/7/2017 4:00:37 PM #7

Posted By MaverickMissy at 09:28 AM - Tue Nov 07 2017

Posted By Blankwindow at 09:00 AM - Tue Nov 07 2017

Devs can say it as repeatedly as they like. You miss out on a lot of info when you're on hiatus for a few months.

It wasn't meant as a knock to you. It was meant to emphasize that they have been emphatic about their answer to this and thus highly unlikely to change the answer before release.

11/27/2017 12:23:22 PM #8

Posted By CommonlyQuixotic at 07:12 AM - Tue Nov 07 2017

Inbreeding will lead to a higher chance for negative mutations. Both male and female players will have a one week cool down after signing a child contract before they can sign another one, but there will be no changes to their attributes or appearance.

All the tribes originally came from the "Proto-Neran" but then broke off into subgroups which must have begun as families before they grew larger and became tribes. Why could players not repeat this process with their own families? Maybe there will be fewer negative mutations and more beneficial mutations through inbreeding than are possible in the real world. In the real world, all genetic mutations are deleterious but that isn't necessarily true for the mechanics in Elyria. Have the devs given specifics on the mechanics of the evolutionary process in-game yet?

12/15/2017 12:38:45 AM #9

there was not one family of proto nerans who created all the tribes in the world. this is not the old testament here. you have different groups of different people, moving to different parts of the planet and slowly becoming more and more diverse as they stop crossbeeding and evolve to fit their habitat.

12/15/2017 1:23:37 AM #10

More sandbox options!

At least one County must be "The Hills Have Eyes" themed.

12/31/2017 1:39:07 PM #11

I personally wouldn't mind seeing gestation time because being pregnant doesn't mean you can't still do things like gathering or crafting or other things of the sort. Yeah combat during pregnancy would be a little crazy but 9 months in game time translates to 4-5 real days. 4-5 days isn't that much time considering people aren't going to be playing for the full 24 hours in a real day. Meaning you would be able to grind other skills during that time while not losing out at all but instead using that time to expand in another area. I'd also like to add on that women aren't useless when pregnant. Back in the old days did pregnant women sit on their butts for 9 months and do nothing? NO!

1/6/2018 5:50:20 AM #12

I've been wondering what "Negative mutations" entail. Dwarfism? Vestigial limbs? Slower skill gains?

Lord of Aversía, Ksana, Riftwood (NA-W). Friend code: BB89A9

1/6/2018 11:51:02 AM #13

Posted By RavenMocker at 08:39 AM - Sun Dec 31 2017

I personally wouldn't mind seeing gestation time because being pregnant doesn't mean you can't still do things like gathering or crafting or other things of the sort. Yeah combat during pregnancy would be a little crazy but 9 months in game time translates to 4-5 real days. 4-5 days isn't that much time considering people aren't going to be playing for the full 24 hours in a real day. Meaning you would be able to grind other skills during that time while not losing out at all but instead using that time to expand in another area. I'd also like to add on that women aren't useless when pregnant. Back in the old days did pregnant women sit on their butts for 9 months and do nothing? NO!

I agree completely. Though I plan to be in a non-combat role, I can see where the devs are coming from in their decision since this effects women doing heavy physical activity. But even so, adventures and expedition are supposed to be things that take time right? Both to go on as well as to plan for. In my opinion, being pregnant for less than a week IRL would just give me time to plan for my next adventure (if I were to go on one). Removing gestation time kind of takes away from the whole realism angle they've been selling so well. Plus, like the point you made, it's not like women are rendered completely immobile when with child, we just can't do highly strenuous work.

- CoE Thread - Website -

Family first, money second. Unless they cause the loss of too much money...

1/7/2018 4:43:27 PM #14

Posted By Kattz at 06:51 AM - Sat Jan 06 2018

I agree completely. Though I plan to be in a non-combat role, I can see where the devs are coming from in their decision since this effects women doing heavy physical activity. But even so, adventures and expedition are supposed to be things that take time right? Both to go on as well as to plan for. In my opinion, being pregnant for less than a week IRL would just give me time to plan for my next adventure (if I were to go on one). Removing gestation time kind of takes away from the whole realism angle they've been selling so well. Plus, like the point you made, it's not like women are rendered completely immobile when with child, we just can't do highly strenuous work.

I know my spouse would like the ability to be pregnant at least once even in a game.. but I believe this is comming from the perspective of How would they do it. The Game is already promising to be extremely immersive and life like. Many mechanics that have never been seen together and some completely new ones. It simply may not be feasible to create. That being said, perhaps one day in the future it's something they can play with and see about the functionality of it. But for now I believe we all would rather they get the chance to finish their creation sooner, instead of adding more work which would add at least a few months to the release date.

My Name Is Papa Rannúlfr. Protector and Leader of my pack. I will Do Anything to Protect my pack and my home. I am ShieldWall Strong.

2/1/2018 12:45:44 PM #15

Posted By Kattz at 05:51 AM - Sat Jan 06 2018

Yeah I also get where their coming from I just kind of feel like since there's the whole family thing if there was a gestation time I feel like it would give you another attachment to your family and it would add character significance to your family NPCs instead of them just being a resource or a means to an end/buff. Like if you chose to take over your family heir then it would give you some kind of tie to that character instead of them being a meat bag you take control of.