COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
"Shadows" in Lore and Gameplay (Content Suggestion)

Background and General Concept

So the importance of shadows is seen in the lore of creation: Angelica and Luna. (For those who don't know what I'm talking about, please look at the Lore & Religion overview. ) With that in mind, will there be any gameplay relevance to shadows added in?

After seeing an inspired post about shadow-based talents by community member Grim, I had a thought: if Luna was the second being in creation and made in the identical image of the first - from her shadow - why wouldn't she be compelled to have her own domain. And considering she was enamored with Angelica and identical to her in almost every way, why wouldn't she model that domain after Angelica's creations? With that being said, could there not be a shadow plane?

Shadows are still just a general consequence of light obstruction and silhouettes, but there would be beings that are made of darkness that could inhabit those shadows. Maybe there could even be significance placed in the presence of shadows. For example, daemons wouldn't have shadows because in the view of the Light they are their darkest selves.

Talents

One mechanic that could be expanded on with this is the plane-walking ability that was mentioned the Combat and Magic gameplay overview. This could include the basic ability to travel between the planes of the shadow world with minor loss to spirit as you pass between realms (only when passing between, so players with that shared ability had the ability to establish communities if they survived the perils of the plane). There could also be additional perks. Like the ability to converse with shadows - who would have personas inverse of the creatures they are attached to.

Grim's Post <https://www.chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/18683/shadow-shifter-talent-idea?page=1#31>

11/12/2017 3:41:28 PM #1

Do remember Angelica and Luna are just a story. A tale passed on by the Qindred, one of five religions in Chronicles of Elyria. The fact that the Qindred believe that is how Elyria was created does not mean that it is correct, and the other faiths have their own ideas.

We know of several planes in the Qindred lore, that are also recognised by the Virtori. Heaven, Elyria and Karcion. I think Karcion is most similar to the plane of shadows but with a hell of a lot more fire or full of Vices depending on your belief. Karcion was home to Daemon, and was torn from Elyria when Daemon died and his fire was no longer controllable. Well if you take the Qindred version of events anyway.

Personally, with the planes already described in lore I am not sure the need for another.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

11/12/2017 4:37:32 PM #2

WPosted By VictoriaRachel at 10:41 AM - Sun Nov 12 2017

Do remember Angelica and Luna are just a story. A tale passed on by the Qindred, one of five religions in Chronicles of Elyria. The fact that the Qindred believe that is how Elyria was created does not mean that it is correct, and the other faiths have their own ideas.

We know of several planes in the Qindred lore, that are also recognised by the Virtori. Heaven, Elyria and Karcion. I think Karcion is most similar to the plane of shadows but with a hell of a lot more fire or full of Vices depending on your belief. Karcion was home to Daemon, and was torn from Elyria when Daemon died and his fire was no longer controllable. Well if you take the Qindred version of events anyway.

Personally, with the planes already described in lore I am not sure the need for another.

Where did you find all this information?

11/12/2017 5:47:14 PM #3

So it is a variety of different sources.

The fact there are five religions and they all have different views on the world is actually on the page you linked:

There are five main religions in Chronicles of Elyria. Each religion has different gods (or not gods), different creation lore, and different customs of worship.

Source

You will note the part about Angelica and Luna does start "According to the Qindred..." showing that it is not a universal truth, just their belief.

The various planes are spoken about in the lore regarding what the Qindred call The Burning, which was spoken about in one of the early videos the team did with the community. You can find a transcript of it here. I think it was also repeated in one of the updates on the website but I can't locate it at the moment.

The fact the Virtori have the same name for the planes was confirmed by the Developers in IRC, there was a bit more from them about it which I recorded here.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.