COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
AoC compared to CoE

I'm curious about everyone's thoughts on the topic. I'm looking forward to both, but I'm leaning towards CoE. Everything about it seems far more interesting. Currently I can't see any firm foundations for AoC other than a few quickly thrown together videos in UE4. Which worries my friend, who has backed it. I'd like to know if anyone here has left AoC for CoE or vice versa.

11/16/2017 9:31:08 AM #1

Well they are a bit like chalk and cheese, CoE is taking a unique look on the mmo genre and will be a truly rpg. I mean this as in you can do anything you want with no theme park limitations.

Ashes (AoC is Age of Conan) is the cookie cutter mmo with a few unique features.

I have backed both but my ashes is minimal because I believe it won't be unique and will have a short lifespan.

I am putting a lot of hope in CoE and even though it isn't exactly what I thought it was going to be i believe it will be so unique and will still hit alot of what I wanted in an mmo.

In regards production Ashes has some good looking videos but thats all they are. SBS on the other hand have shown us unique videos of gameplay and weather effects. We have also seen how voxel will work alongside the ue4 game and this shows that the team are working hard on the back end of the game and getting all the essentials in place. Plus imho the Dras look awesome and very much like their concept art. I am looking forward to seeing if the rest hit it. (They just need make the kypiq more evil looking....)

TLDR CoE is better than ashes

11/16/2017 9:41:43 AM #2

Plenty more for AoC than just a few videos thrown together in UE4. They regularly stream live gameplay and their overall development of AoC is further along than CoE.

That being said I would have to say that CoE is the more detailed and complex of the two. You'll more than likely find the more "long game" minded folks focused on CoE over AoC while you'll notice more hardcore organized PvP focused groups gunning for AoC because the option to just outright fight people is more immediately available in that game.

11/16/2017 11:22:54 AM #3

AC is cookie cutter and CoE is a new look on MMOs. In my mind, no more to be said than this. I really think AC will go by the wayside like Black Desert.

11/16/2017 11:44:49 AM #4

Can you really compare the two? AoC is more themepark. CoE is sandbox.

11/16/2017 11:47:53 AM #5

If Soulbound Studios was creating a game like AoC they would have made it by now and it would be released, the fact there's another 2ish years of development left tells you all you need to know about how greater in scale and complexity CoE will be in comparison.

11/16/2017 1:40:28 PM #6

Guys guys guys come on please...

AoC = Age of Conan AC = Asherons Call (might be dead but still)

If they want to call their game something with those 3 letters they will have to resigned to being called Ashes.

11/17/2017 2:20:11 AM #7

Loved Asheron's Call! (Harvestgain Server)

I was set to post regarding AC but was happy to see it already taken care of when I got further in the thread.

11/17/2017 3:37:09 AM #8

SBS has done way more talking about CoE's game design pushing the envolope while concealing showing off the game a bit more than Intrepid has.

Intrepid studios has done more showing, they however have not gone into any real reason why or how their product is revolutionizing the MMO genre. In fact it seems their product is more along the lines of Pantheon:Rise of the Fallen in that respect. They are not pushing a revolution they are seeking reformation. I am not sold on their node system, which seemingly they are banking a large part of their pitch off of.

I watched Intrepids panel video following up PAX in its entirety. Intrepid are a bunch of very down to earth funny and well going individuals. I wish them luck and the best I just am not sold on their product.

General gameplay and combat wise ~ Pre-Alpha status in mind:

After the gameplay footage from PAX it was established for me personally that Intrepids product is something I will never want to play. ("Kinda tab target kinda not".. Sorry, I have heard that before. A game is either Targetlock/TabbTarget or it's not.)

SBS's product, while it hasn't appeared flashy and poppy as inteprids, looks like something that could easily be made into something I would love to play. (Freeform combat)

Lastly, Jeremy Walsh is a master theory crafter and after hearing his presentation at pax, I might have cried a little maybe.

11/17/2017 4:51:12 AM #9

Posted By TyrusStormwolf at 6:20 PM - Thu Nov 16 2017

Loved Asheron's Call! (Harvestgain Server)

I was set to post regarding AC but was happy to see it already taken care of when I got further in the thread.

I was on Darktide, loved that game. I really liked having to figure out your own spell components (until that damnable SplitPea came along) and the spell economy (the more people that use a particular spell, the less effective it was and hence people kept ingredients secret). But this was early in the game before they removed spell economy ; ;

11/17/2017 7:19:51 AM #10

I could wax lyrical about this subject, but in the interest of brevity... Ashes of Creation is based on an old MMO template; Chronicles of Elyria is built from scratch with up-to-date technology. That alone means these games are basically incomparable in terms of play experience. They'll both be good. But while one is pushing the envelope, the other is a seperate package entirely.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

11/18/2017 10:22:10 AM #11

I like the replies that you've all given me, I agree with the majority of them.

12/17/2017 4:51:47 PM #12

I kinda forgot I backed Ashes of Creation and just logged into their page with my backed code for the first time yesterday. Took a look around and thought it was interesting, but not overly impressed. Might waste some time on it if it comes out before CoE.

12/17/2017 6:03:54 PM #13

AoC seems like an interesting game, one that's worth keeping an eye on. But yeah I agree with what people say that it's more of a traditional MMO experience, whereas CoE seems to be taking the genre in some bold and new directions. That's why it was always the title I've put my money on. Also keeping my fingers crossed that the combat will be decent in this :) Rarely somebody was impressed with what the AoC devs had to show for, especially regarding that timed button press bar that brought sort of a 'quick time event' element to the combat system. Not very exciting.

12/17/2017 6:22:21 PM #14

If all MMOs were oranges then AoC would be an orange with dark spots on it. CoE would be a cake.