COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Apprenticeships and Reputation

Is there any mention of being able "mentor" other players via some kind of apprenticeship system?

If you can learn via instruction and observation I see no reason why there couldn't be some kind of contract to take on an apprentice. It sounds like you can already have a de facto apprentice, but formalizing the title should offer some benefit to the teacher, be it reputation and fame or even just monetary gains.

On that same note, say I develop my character as a master tracker, will the engine recognize that, and assuming I have the reputation, trigger some quest line for someone trying to track something to seek me out and request training? I think it would be awesome to be in my little forest cabin one day and some young knight come knocking on the door asking for training so he can go find and slay a monster/find the missing princess whatever.

I would hope there was some added benefit to being a master of your craft besides just unlocking better quality items. Especially with more immaterial traits.

Nos Non Luxuria Pacis.

12/18/2017 6:19:17 AM #1

There is a teaching skill that will allow you to teach a skill to another player yes.

12/18/2017 6:34:30 AM #2

But do you get anything from teaching others, is my question. I'm curious if contracts will cover something like agreeing to teach another player in exchange for "x." My guess is guilds will work that way in a fashion. With some sort of agreement between members and rewards for joining.

This would also extend to talents. Because of the rarity of people who possess similar talents, guilds are probably out of the question. But if someone were to be an animal whisperer of some kind, assuming talents have a progression similar to normal skills, could someone with the same talent seek them out to train them in that talent.

I guess what I'm asking is what everyone thinks the benefit/extent of training someone else should be.

Nos Non Luxuria Pacis.

12/18/2017 7:15:31 AM #3

As to your quest idea I guess it is possible but I am pretty sure you could make your own sort of quest yourself like that. I mean couldn't you sort of set it up like a bounty in town? "Wanted, Jim the tracker. Last seen here," type of thing. And part of the quest would be you have to tack Jim.

Or,if you can program npc's with scripts, couldn't one of the scripts be the start of the quest IF the proper phrase was uttered? Maybe that leads you to something buried in the ground or other npc's?

12/18/2017 7:28:56 AM #4

Posted By Euron_Strider at 07:34 AM - Mon Dec 18 2017

But do you get anything from teaching others, is my question. I'm curious if contracts will cover something like agreeing to teach another player in exchange for "x." My guess is guilds will work that way in a fashion. With some sort of agreement between members and rewards for joining.

CoE have several organization types. Schools are the type you'll be looking into if you want bonuses around tutoring and research, they should allow you to collect fees for any courses and tutoring. However, most likely you can do apprenticeship contracts as well.

12/18/2017 7:32:37 AM #5

Talents can’t be passed on to others through teaching

12/19/2017 12:47:45 AM #6

Posted By Xemmas at 11:32 PM - Sun Dec 17 2017

Talents can’t be passed on to others through teaching

I didn't mean to pass on talents, I meant to train a younger player who has the same talent. If I'm an old animal whisperer it would be expected that I would possess a lot more knowledge then a character just starting out who discovers this ability. In turn, that younger player may seek out someone who has that talent in order further develop their skills.

Nos Non Luxuria Pacis.

12/19/2017 12:55:58 AM #7

Posted By RedDoggybone at 11:15 PM - Sun Dec 17 2017

Or,if you can program npc's with scripts, couldn't one of the scripts be the start of the quest IF the proper phrase was uttered? Maybe that leads you to something buried in the ground or other npc's?

That's exactly what I meant. There's a lot of talk about the engine being able to read what you do and then interjecting story elements, which is exactly how I would expect it to happen.

I'm just curious if the game will recognize that if someone starts a quest to track a monster that there are trackers of various renown in the area to call upon, and thus send that player after them.

Bonus points if depending on the monster/thing being tracked, the skill level of the tracker is elevated. Maybe the event requires someone at the Master level, and there's only two in the world. Maybe an NPC would tell them they know of only two people that can help, one living around county X within Y land and the other living in city W in land Z.

The player would then have to 1. Find those places, and then 2. Find the person once they're there. Hopefully theres some kind of mailbox system with houses so if you find the person and they're offline you can leave a note for whenever they get back on.

Nos Non Luxuria Pacis.