COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
OPC scripts while logged on

Either I'm missing on my search, or it hasn't been asked yet.

Can I run an OPC script while I'm logged on?

My question comes from having two young children. I'm predicting I'll have to step away from the computer for 10-15 minutes at a time, even with my wife home. Would I be able to turn it on to do mundane tasks until I could come back?

I realize I could just log off, but it would be a little more convenient this way.

12/28/2017 8:32:15 PM #1

As far as I know you would have to log off.

but someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

12/28/2017 8:42:13 PM #2

I'd totally prefer being able to run scrips while afk and not logged out. I see no reason why I shouldnt be able to watch my toon do his duties on OPC. OPC has the downside of not getting skillpoints and such, so imo, it should be available. And it was explicitly said, that it shouldnt be easy to determine if someone is PC or NPC or OPC either. So anything that makes the gap between those charactertypes smaller imo is a good thing. But yea, I remember having read that its only offline. They might change it however. There have been questions like how getting from scripted to online switches... like if you are infight when you login... will it switch on starting loadingscreen or will it switch after fully loading the world? or some delay to smoothly get into whats going on? I dont remember if there was an answer. But if it was on me to wish for something, the character would run on scripts whenever it doesnt get a command for like a minute or something.

Friend Code: 30EF47

12/28/2017 8:45:03 PM #3

I suppose another reason I would ask for this is immersion. My character could get back to work on something, rather than standing on a street corner looking like he's trying to sell drugs. Which would then be really awkward when I don't reply.

12/28/2017 9:11:17 PM #4

I think these are mutually exclusive things presently. An OPC is an "offline" player character supported by AI scripts.

Offline Player Characters

Nonetheless, I can see value in what you're suggesting. Let the AI handle anything you find especially mundane in-game while you simply monitor in the background. It's the kind of thing I typically find in an RTS.

CoE could be the very first MMORPGRTS.

12/28/2017 9:23:39 PM #5

ooppps bad post

12/29/2017 1:01:29 AM #6

Caspian said in Discord specifically that your character can NOT run your OPC scripts while you are online.

12/29/2017 2:17:42 AM #7

Bummer. Thanks for the response.

12/29/2017 3:13:09 AM #8

Posted By Jello at 8:17 PM - Thu Dec 28 2017

Bummer. Thanks for the response.

I think it's best to remember that the game is sill early in development, and anything is subject to change. I wouldn't pin my hopes in it, but I wouldn't necessarily write it off completely. It's still a possibility.

Ehhh.

Friend Code: 9AA6A4

12/29/2017 4:11:16 AM #9

Posted By Protey at 8:01 PM - Thu Dec 28 2017

Caspian said in Discord specifically that your character can NOT run your OPC scripts while you are online.

How are we supposed to test the scripts do what we want?

What is the harm of letting us watch our character run under script so long as we go through the normal 'log off' time/process and have the normal 'log in' time.

I see lots of instances when you just want to socialize with your mates on discord and relax, like watching twitch streams.

Seneschal for the Hrothi County of Iskar, Recruiter for the Duchy of Aritaur

https://discord.gg/qRQ3Zj6

12/29/2017 4:33:02 AM #10

It would also be useful to have just to test that your script is running properly.

12/29/2017 5:50:42 AM #11

Posted By Lodrig at 8:11 PM - Thu Dec 28 2017

How are we supposed to test the scripts do what we want?

What is the harm of letting us watch our character run under script so long as we go through the normal 'log off' time/process and have the normal 'log in' time.

You just answered your own question.... one possibility is to have it so you can have a logoff state that you can see what your character is doing, but not be able to do anything (with another logoff state being to choose another soul. Not to be confused with "logout", where the game itself no longer shows in a window on your computer). Another possibility is logging onto a 2nd soul to verify your scripts are running as you intend them to. A third possibility is have someone else verify for you. Would need to ask Caspian though if the first possibility is going to be implemented.

I see lots of instances when you just want to socialize with your mates on discord and relax, like watching twitch.

You don't need the game to socialize on discord. If you play the game with them but don't want to be logged on at that moment, just tell them to go to your discord channel.

12/29/2017 7:42:34 AM #12

Posted By Protey at 12:50 AM - Fri Dec 29 2017

You don't need the game to socialize on discord. If you play the game with them but don't want to be logged on at that moment, just tell them to go to your discord channel.

What I mean is that your too tired/drunk/etc to actually play but you want to watch pictures move while you chat. Obviously you can just chat without the game but looking at Discords UI, not very entertaining.

Note this is mainly a 'would be nice' reason to do it, seeing what the scripts do is the main priority. I would go so far as to say that the script editing UI and some kind of continuous output log of the scripts needs to be displayed and recorded for you when you log back in. I would consider a second spark a non-starter, no game should require two purchases to be played properly.

Seneschal for the Hrothi County of Iskar, Recruiter for the Duchy of Aritaur

https://discord.gg/qRQ3Zj6

12/30/2017 1:48:37 AM #13

I agree that there should be an ability for short afk using OPC scripts without having to log off.

Simple everyday events, player or pet needs a nature break, telephone or front door, players partner or household member comes homes and you want to greet them or assist if say they have groceries etc. The list could be endless.

These should have limited functionality to prevent abuse.

Click Banner To Visit town. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

12/30/2017 2:18:42 AM #14

Posted By SilkyBazaar at 5:48 PM - Fri Dec 29 2017

I agree that there should be an ability for short afk using OPC scripts without having to log off.

Simple everyday events, player or pet needs a nature break, telephone or front door, players partner or household member comes homes and you want to greet them or assist if say they have groceries etc. The list could be endless.

These should have limited functionality to prevent abuse.

This would be nice, simply because of the fact that no matter how much you're into the game, life always finds a way to interrupt. An APC (Away Player Character) would be nice. It would run the same scripts as an OPC but without the offline part. It would allow you to be "afk" without logging out, and also without forcing your character to stop until you come back. This would carry the condition that if you are an APC for say, 30 minutes, then you get a 10 minute timer, and at the end of the timer your game logs out and your character switches to a true OPC mode.

The mystery of the universe is like one big jigsaw puzzle, and we are forever discovering new pieces.

12/30/2017 3:14:08 AM #15

I'm sure I'm in the minority here and expect all the downvotes, but I don't see the problem. One button says "log out and run OPC script" while the other button says "stay online and run script." Why is one harder than the other? Or is it that 15 seconds it will take to log back in that is painful or unenjoyable? Help me understand why it would be needed

I mean, if you just need to go tinkle or grab a beer, I'm not sure 30 seconds of not playing is gonna hurt. If you're gonna be longer, just log out and run script. I guess I'm missing something