COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Prisons built by Kings for constructive pumishment?

Would a forced labor (rock quarry's, building roads, etc.) be a valid punishment for lawbreakers?

They would be playing off their debt to society by helping to build and maintain the Kingdom.

Get caught and you may have to spend a specific amount of time in game swinging a pick.

Back breaking labor does cause premature ageing in real life and do the same in the game.

Rulers of the land would have to build prisons for the prisoners. The rulers could decide the severity of the punishments (horse theives hanged vs. Imprisioned vs. paying a fine).

While having to deal with the consequences (violence breeding violence vs. more prisons vs. the rich paying their way out of trouble).

Is this implementable? Could it work? How would you do it?

1/2/2018 9:17:21 PM #1

In my view it would be interesting however since there are no plans for slavery or confinement for a individual it would be hard to enforce such a punishment. I don't see how you can 'force' them to do the labor or stop them from just walking off. There is talk of a Jail system or a Criminal Justice System being looked at but no concrete information has been released. Give them time and I am sure they will make an announcement when they start to work on that part of the game because there are so many more important systems to get right first. I would happily support having a choice between loosing spark energy for a crime and working it off with community service though I don't know how you could enforce the latter.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

1/2/2018 9:38:28 PM #2

I do recall seeing it said there will not be a way to confine a player in game, so this would probably not be feasible.

I am curious as to what the Criminal Justice System is going to look like, as I was under the impression it would be Kingdom by Kingdom, but there will need to be some mechanics coded into the game for them to work with as well.

1/2/2018 10:57:43 PM #3

I love the idea of imprisonment and prisons controlled by Players, but... I can see the possibility for abuse, sadly. Now as others have said, I'm also curious as to what the punishment system will look like.

1/3/2018 12:34:19 AM #4

Without any effective deterrents in place for players that carry out criminal acts, crimes such as picking locks, breaking and entering, theft, murder, pickpocketing, burglary, etc. won't give the criminal player a feeling of consequence if they are caught and "punished." The criminal justice system needs to be developed in a way that actually deters a player from committing a crime, or it isn't an effective system at all. Confinement for long periods of time is debatably one of the most effective deterrents, outside of cruel or unusual punishment and the death penalty.

1/3/2018 7:16:13 AM #5

Posted By Daichi350 at 4:34 PM - Tue Jan 02 2018

Without any effective deterrents in place for players that carry out criminal acts, crimes such as picking locks, breaking and entering, theft, murder, pickpocketing, burglary, etc. won't give the criminal player a feeling of consequence if they are caught and "punished." The criminal justice system needs to be developed in a way that actually deters a player from committing a crime, or it isn't an effective system at all. Confinement for long periods of time is debatably one of the most effective deterrents, outside of cruel or unusual punishment and the death penalty.

Deviant players won't suddenly become law abiding citizens if punishments are forced imprisonment -- they'll log off and quit the game out of boredom.

The perceived cost must outweigh the perceived gain to deter a player from crime. That doesn't mean players should be punished with boring game play for playing a supported playstyle (deviance).

It comes down to risk vs reward. A loss of spirit (and thus game time) is a considerable risk compared to most benefits of deviance.

As long as the reward of theft or murder is associated with a commensurate loss of spirit, the balance of risk vs reward will maintain.

1/3/2018 9:41:53 AM #6

I like the idea of forced labor over just imprisonment better. How it could be done is you just have to sign a contract to work off your misdeeds.

1/3/2018 10:08:52 AM #7

I think at ArcheAge had quite nice prison system. I do not see at why it would not work in here. You could either work and attone or escape and add to you'r crimes and bounty.

Escape could be suitably hard, so if you actually manage it it would be something that adds to you'r reputation as a criminal and reason to be proud if that is you'r thing.

Working you'r way out would increase you'r reputation (but not to the normal level alone) and give you a decent pay. So the punishment would be the inability to wander around freely but the time would be decently productive. The reputation gains could be based on the amount of work completed - but would still carry the stigma of being done in prison.

1/3/2018 6:22:10 PM #8

Posted By RedDoggybone at 1/3/2018 9:41:53 AM

I like the idea of forced labor over just imprisonment better. How it could be done is you just have to sign a contract to work off your misdeeds.

I was thinking more along the lines of community service to the kingdom, village, etc. Instead of just paying a fine. But ya, flat out imprisonment may be bad for the game.

I play Elder Scrolls Online and just want a more dynamic justice system.

1/3/2018 7:57:00 PM #9

Maybe a labor system that allows criminals to work on skills they’re interested in? Well besides criminal skills ;)

That sounds like the least toxic way to punish people. You’re not completely ruining their character. They may not be doing the criminal things they want, but at least they still playing in a productive manner.

Do such and such labor for a certain amount of time and you’re done. No pay.

That’d be a good system for low tier crimes. High tier crimes, I think the time loss will be suffice.

1/3/2018 8:37:39 PM #10

I prefer a system of Branding rather than one of imprisonment.

1/3/2018 8:43:01 PM #11

Posted By 1mmaculateDeception at 12:37 PM - Wed Jan 03 2018

I prefer a system of Branding rather than one of imprisonment.

Agreed, imprisonment is overreaching. You cant control another players game experience by putting htem in prison. Especially when they pay for their time/lifespark etc.

However, for the non virtuous i dont have any problems with penalties such as branding, loss of access to certain areas, bounty systems, etc etc.

1/3/2018 10:24:22 PM #12

I was thinking free labor for those that play the game right ;D

1/3/2018 10:32:37 PM #13

Incentives of the prison system that were talked about:

1. Potentially upgrading your skills if you are low level as people need to initially learn their skill from somewhere and the best deviants would be hesitant to have an apprentice when it could do so much harm

2. Create connections by meeting with other deviants. You have to remember that in-game it will be very difficult to see who is deviant and who is not, so, unless you trust forums, the most reliable way to meet up would be to meet an incarcerated individual and have him be your "way in"

3. New fun experience with prison culture potentially being explored. Smuggling in goods, potentially scheming to take over the prison, etc.

This is why I would be interested in confinement, but it would have to be pretty polished and I would rather have this be introduced at a later date/never over it compromising the current systems in play (which made me want to invest in it).

Friend Code: 1BD8F6

1/3/2018 11:34:06 PM #14

Would you rather have spirit loss for your crimes or time you could actually train a skill even if you aren't paid for it? Even if that means working on the skill in a jail or doing manual labour outside.. Hmm..

I'm not a doctor.

1/4/2018 12:24:04 AM #15

x