COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
reinventing and cherrypicking (as well as some thoughts on marketing)

Surely CoE will reinvent the genre of online roleplaying games as we know it! (OMG, it was about time!) But there are certainly games out there that just nailed let's say combat or traiding or crafting or building etc. So which games would you guys want SbS to keep in mind when creating certain machanics? Which mechanics in existing games do you consider good so that CoE might take some inspiration from them?

PS: I hope a thread such as this doesn't already exist.

PPS: Recently Caspian mentioned some trouble when it comes to finding a publisher. I know CoE always focused on how it's different from other games! But maybe for the purpose of convincing publishers arguments like "it has combat like xyz, it has crafting like xyz" might be helpful...

1/7/2018 3:15:05 PM #1

The problem with the publishers is that SbS don't want loot crates, no real microtransaction store, this is against mainstream so the publishers will say 'nope'.

As for ideas, CoE should be the next big step in the genre. Therefore it would make no sense to copy other games. SbS had worked for years on several Mechanics and from my point, this is a major improvement against the typical theme park MMOs. They shouldn't follow a trend, they set the trend.

1/7/2018 3:31:16 PM #2

i think that they could implement a "climb monsters" feature like the one in Dragon's dogma, so that you could reach weak points of big monsters.

1/7/2018 3:51:17 PM #3

I really loved this about dragon's dogma!

And about the publishers: I agree, CoE does set trends. But it doesn't have to set trends in every single aspect does it? So why not have a look on what's proven good in existing games and maybe adjust it just a little so that it fits in the overall concept of CoE. I don't mean they should change existing mechanics they already put a lot of thought and work into. But as you said publishers are interested in what they know or at least can refer to. And there are many great idas to be found in other games that are neither bad nor mainstram... and I think those could help promote the game!

1/7/2018 6:01:09 PM #4

Posted By Leonardo_Loriano at 07:15 AM - Sun Jan 07 2018

The problem with the publishers is that SbS don't want loot crates, no real microtransaction store, this is against mainstream so the publishers will say 'nope'.

As for ideas, CoE should be the next big step in the genre. Therefore it would make no sense to copy other games. SbS had worked for years on several Mechanics and from my point, this is a major improvement against the typical theme park MMOs. They shouldn't follow a trend, they set the trend.

I think your overestimating the valuation of loot boxes considering how close they are to basically being banned.

1/7/2018 6:33:48 PM #5

In regards to investors. I wish SbS and the guys making Kingdom Come: Deliverance would partner up. Those dudes made an archery system that was good enough to be an archery sim and they also did armor pretty well.

They were only making a single player game but they were going for the most realistic medieval experience they could come up with.

I also think that SbS could get their game to the finish line themselves. They have a solid unique product. They just need to get creative when it comes to gaining money.

For instance I would love if they came out with a cell phone game that played out like an RTS modeled after the kindom structue that allowed you to play a simple form of CoE and more like command and conquer or AoE.

I know they are against cash shops but I think that instead of an auction house a black market type kingdom based auction house that can see listed items from players from all the direct surrounding counties currently bodering the one your in. Where players can list and buy items from players with real money with existing items and have those items teleported to you. SbS could charge a small fee per transaction and make money.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

1/8/2018 1:32:03 AM #6

I know I'm echoing the sentiments of others by saying that I want the combat to be like mount and blades. Honestly, I probably won't be 100% satisfied if the combat isn't in the same style as mount and blade. That doesn't mean I won't enjoy the combat greatly if it's different from mount and blade. I just feel that the combat in mount and blade is the best all around. It's simple, but leaves plenty of room for mastery.

I know all the videos we've seen are pre-alpha, but the combat that has been shown is incredibly stiff and clunky. I look forward to testing the combat and other features to help polish them as much as possible.

With all of this being said, I'm expecting combat similar to fencing. Sorry for getting slightly off-topic.

I've never had a crafting system I was satisfied with so I think SBS really has to start from scratch there. It won't be complex enough otherwise.

With building I think they will be fine as long as players are able to place blueprints that can be seen in 'build mode'. The same way stuff is built in ARK or any other survival sandbox game with the exception that the structure isn't actually built instantly. Perhaps leaving behind just a frame. Then taking resources and the parts required from blacksmiths and carpenters and assembling them on-site.

EDIT: OH! The construction system in space engineers is a pretty solid example. It's actually quite nice and I highly recommend taking a look at it.

Alternatively, if players are able to download a plot of land into an architecture tool, then create the blueprint there, and then upload it back into the game and paste the blueprint over said plot of land, that would work as well... I just feel it would probably be too much data bouncing around.

As I said previously though. I look forward to testing during the alpha phases. I don't really want to say that SBS should 100% use the systems from another game, because they may produce something even better, and I think it would be a shame to deny them the opportunity to do so.

1/10/2018 2:24:10 PM #7

They could do micro-transactions in a similar way to Path of Exile in the way that they are all cosmetic features. Want your armor to have a unique look to it? Buy a cosmetic skin for you armor. Sword look too boring for your taste? Same solution. The cosmetic features could extend to mounts or even buildings. It won't affect the balance this way while still allowing the company to make more money.

1/10/2018 2:52:56 PM #8

Combat system from Mortal Online please (essentially a Mount and Blade Combat system but built for 1st person only) it’s skill based in which different directional attacks can be performed and must be blocked with the appropriate block , and it’s archery is based around weak spots and criticals depending on where you hit (hit for the head and do more damage type thing).

This combat system would fit COEs skill based , open world , free roaming environment so well !

Posted By Firiqian at 09:24 AM - Wed Jan 10 2018

They could do micro-transactions in a similar way to Path of Exile in the way that they are all cosmetic features. Want your armor to have a unique look to it? Buy a cosmetic skin for you armor. Sword look too boring for your taste? Same solution. The cosmetic features could extend to mounts or even buildings. It won't affect the balance this way while still allowing the company to make more money.

Also , special materials could be required to make the skin and place it on - buying it in the store would simply UNLOCK the skin , but you should still have to make the weapon with the specific skin on it..

For instance you buy a war axe skin with an ancient Egypt like look to it , you must collect the basic axe materials to create it PLUS a few unique [to the skin] materials in order to Have it crafted with the skin applied , otherwise it just takes the default axe skin.