COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
pc requirements

I have been few years without playing much and I am planning to buy new computer soon. Do you have any idea what kind of requirements for the pc will be needed so that I should be able to enjoy CoE(after it will be released)?

1/10/2018 2:13:08 PM #1

From the FAQ.

It's too early to tell exact requirements, however it will require a PC running Windows 7+, with a video card that supports DirectX 11+.

However that said I believe they’ve said if you can run Ark you can run CoE.

Basic guess from the wiki. Specific specs are not as yet known. However, it has been stated that if you can play ARK: Survival Evolved now, you are going to be safe to play Chronicles of Elyria, as they use the same game engine (Unreal Engine).[1]

Minimum Requirements (Estimated) :

Windows 7

1GB VRAM and DirectX 11 support

4GB RAM

2GHz Dual Core 64bit CPU

1/10/2018 2:55:16 PM #2

While my recommendation may be slightly above what the studio ultimately decides is the "minimum", I think you'll find the below to be "minimum" for everyday use including general gaming. I will also assume you are trying to keep costs to a minimum. The studio minimum should be of more interest to people with existing machines, and those buying new machines should be able to exceed those specs with even entry level offerings.

Since you are buying a new computer, it will almost certainly have Windows 10, so no problem there.

With the requirement that the video card supports DirectX 11+, I think that is going to mean the equivalent of a Nvidia 9xx series card, such as the GTX 960 or better. These will also meet, and likely exceed the absolute minimum of 1+GB of VRAM. As this is an older series of card, the price is very reasonable. If the option for a GTX 1060 or higher card is offered, this is a good place to consider upgrading from the "minimum". Built-in, or onboard video is to be avoided, as many games simply won't run without a dedicated video card.

Most new computers will have at least 8GB of Ram, and I would not recommend anything less. Since most will have at least that much anyway, it's going to be a simple bar to meet.

Between an i3 or i5 series CPU (assuming Intel), then I would recommend the i5, as it is the lowest level to be considered a "gaming" level CPU. The step up to an i7 can be costly, and the money would be better spent getting Ram to 16GB instead.

Again, these are my recommendations, not the studios absolute minimums (which will probably be closer to what Malais posted above). Since your stated goal was to be able to enjoy the game, not simply run it, I think you'll find these specs to be more realistic to be able to enjoy more than just this game. Most of them are already met by entry level offerings from many vendors, but beware of ultra budget machines that fall below these reasonable minimums.

So realistic, general use minimum if buying a new computer: Win 10; GTX 960; 8GB Ram; i5 processor

Hope that helps

1/10/2018 4:12:54 PM #3

I second Torawins advice, having worked in tech support for many years my general rule was get the best you can afford.

Sometimes investing a lot seems like overkill but having a PC that you can use for at least a few years and isn't obsolete as soon as the next round of games come out makes up for the cost.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.
"Will Rogers"
Friend Code: 52B5B7

1/10/2018 5:27:34 PM #4

Posted By Torawin Jonham at 12:55 PM - Wed Jan 10 2018

While my recommendation may be slightly above what the studio ultimately decides is the "minimum", I think you'll find the below to be "minimum" for everyday use including general gaming. I will also assume you are trying to keep costs to a minimum. The studio minimum should be of more interest to people with existing machines, and those buying new machines should be able to exceed those specs with even entry level offerings.

Since you are buying a new computer, it will almost certainly have Windows 10, so no problem there.

With the requirement that the video card supports DirectX 11+, I think that is going to mean the equivalent of a Nvidia 9xx series card, such as the GTX 960 or better. These will also meet, and likely exceed the absolute minimum of 1+GB of VRAM. As this is an older series of card, the price is very reasonable. If the option for a GTX 1060 or higher card is offered, this is a good place to consider upgrading from the "minimum". Built-in, or onboard video is to be avoided, as many games simply won't run without a dedicated video card.

Most new computers will have at least 8GB of Ram, and I would not recommend anything less. Since most will have at least that much anyway, it's going to be a simple bar to meet.

Between an i3 or i5 series CPU (assuming Intel), then I would recommend the i5, as it is the lowest level to be considered a "gaming" level CPU. The step up to an i7 can be costly, and the money would be better spent getting Ram to 16GB instead.

Again, these are my recommendations, not the studios absolute minimums (which will probably be closer to what Malais posted above). Since your stated goal was to be able to enjoy the game, not simply run it, I think you'll find these specs to be more realistic to be able to enjoy more than just this game. Most of them are already met by entry level offerings from many vendors, but beware of ultra budget machines that fall below these reasonable minimums.

So realistic, general use minimum if buying a new computer: Win 10; GTX 960; 8GB Ram; i5 processor

Hope that helps

Nice, I think that's pretty much it, and if someone is building a pc right now, I would invest a little more on a CPU rather than GPU like a i5 8400 or 8600k (since most mmo's are CPU hungry more than GPU)

1/14/2018 5:41:55 PM #5

Thanks for the replies. I think I need to save some money first so that I will be able to buy good one.

1/14/2018 6:35:14 PM #6

Another question would be: If you are saving up and have Alpha access, what is the last month before pulling the trigger and buying?

• I'm big enough to forgive you. But I'm not stupid enough to trust you again. (A29D00/#9056)