COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Procedurally Generated servers and Tribes.

So, just a thought and since I'm not super active on these forums or the CoE discord, no idea if it's been talked about before.

Since server/land selection isn't for a while, and we know that the servers will be randomly generated, why can't Kings choose which tribes they want to play as (All 12), then when it's locked in by server, have the server pre-generate itself based on the choices of the biomes selected for those tribes the 6 Kings per server chose?

So... break it down:

1. Kings pick their lands and Tribes (Land selection).
  2. Server/map is generated with the biomes selected by all 6 kings by server.
  3. Profit?

Probably beating a dead horse here but was just talking to a few big backers about this in DM and the thought just occurred to me this way. It seems like a pretty good idea, at least to me.

queue hate!

1/11/2018 1:46:56 PM #1

While that would be a great idea there are technical and programming issues with this.

I don’t mean programming the generator but rather the mechanics of the missing tribes. Underwater swimming and nomadic gameplay for a couple. In a QA about the missing tribes they mentioned they were left out from launch because they require special gameplay designs that likely won’t be ready. And they are far more difficult to play because of these designs.

In short the missing tribes are missing for a reason.

1/11/2018 2:18:39 PM #2

Posted By Malais at 06:46 AM - Thu Jan 11 2018

While that would be a great idea there are technical and programming issues with this.

I don’t mean programming the generator but rather the mechanics of the missing tribes. Underwater swimming and nomadic gameplay for a couple. In a QA about the missing tribes they mentioned they were left out from launch because they require special gameplay designs that likely won’t be ready. And they are far more difficult to play because of these designs.

In short the missing tribes are missing for a reason.

Fair enough, though I would prefer a more difficult play style. Can narrow this idea back down to the original 8 in that case however.

1/11/2018 2:26:11 PM #3

In terms of the process where Kings select the tribes they want and that seeds the world, I would love to see that and have proposed as much a number of times whenever this issue has come up. While a lot of people have expressed support for such an idea it doesn't seem to be popular with SBS.

They must have their reasons and it could just be that they're determined to give all tribes equal support in the world from the start. It could also be that if certain tribes don't exist, then access to certain resources and skills may become problematic because of the way they've been aligned with tribes.

/shrug

1/11/2018 2:57:11 PM #4

1/11/2018 3:24:06 PM #5

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Was just a suggestion. I'm sure it's not going to happen anyway but was just me throwing some thought and maybe ideas. Not much else we can do but speculate and wonder.

1/11/2018 3:45:53 PM #6

Watches as 6 kings come together to troll a whole server by all picking waerd. Enjoy your mostly semi-arid map

Once we finally see the map, I doubt people are going to care that much about what tribe they get. If I was king, I would be caring way more about a kingdom with good resources plus good defensive positions, while caring which kingdoms fall around me. Over some magically perfect tribes. Hell even as count I care more about that. Unless it's the waerd of course and their hellhole biome.

In the end, there is no perfect end. If I'm the lowest IP count within my duchy, well tough shit really. No point complaining about it. If anyone is annoyed that much at having last spot at any rank, do something about it in game. Anyone that feels like they got the perfect anything at the start, watch your back.

1/11/2018 6:58:28 PM #7

Reading @dleatherus' list, it's apparent now that (g) is really the sticking point for locking in tribe preferences. It's effectively a chicken and the egg scenario. Because there is a selection order based on IP, there's no way to guarantee that the kingdom the world generator spawns based on a monarch's tribe preferences is the one they'll be able to pick when their turn comes up. There could be any number of factors that force monarchs to abandon their tribe preferences in favor of something else - better resource distribution, more appealing geography, less Kypiq, etc.

It follows then that if locking in tribe selection isn't happening, it's because the monarchs don't all value tribe selection equally and can't agree on an alternative selection process. Those with first dibs, understandably, may not want to give up the potential they have to evaluate the output of the world generator first before committing to anything. SBS set that expectation and they paid for that privilege.

My irritation with tribes only grows....

Posted By Gunnlang at 09:45 AM - Thu Jan 11 2018

Watches as 6 kings come together to troll a whole server by all picking waerd. Enjoy your mostly semi-arid map

That would be funny, but at $10K per monarch package, I think they'd mostly be trolling themselves. :D

Once we finally see the map, I doubt people are going to care that much about what tribe they get. If I was king, I would be caring way more about a kingdom with good resources plus good defensive positions, while caring which kingdoms fall around me.

You're thinking of the game from a strictly RTS perspective. Yes, that's certainly part of the game, but CoE is also trying to be an RPG - a role-playing game. A massively multiplayer role-playing game. So tribes, and specifically the huge cultural variances between them, becomes an acute problem for role-playing, particularly among the nobility. How can you have a "Dance of Dynasties" living in a mud hut or commune?

It. just. doesn't. work.... :S :S :S

1/12/2018 12:21:35 AM #8

Posted By Hieronymus at 05:58 AM - Fri Jan 12 2018

You're thinking of the game from a strictly RTS perspective. Yes, that's certainly part of the game, but CoE is also trying to be an RPG - a role-playing game. A massively multiplayer role-playing game. So tribes, and specifically the huge cultural variances between them, becomes an acute problem for role-playing, particularly among the nobility. How can you have a "Dance of Dynasties" living in a mud hut or commune?

Yes that is true. But to think people only 100% care about tribes that they just base their pick over off it, without seeing anything else. To me is crazy.

Probably not as crazy as giving kings that much power to affect a whole server though.

1/12/2018 12:33:04 AM #9

Posted By Gunnlang at 6:21 PM - Thu Jan 11 2018

Probably not as crazy as giving kings that much power to affect a whole server though.

Good point and agreed. In hindsight, especially with the direction SBS went with tribes, it's turned out to be a very problematic idea.