COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Lets start the first Elyrian world wars !

Map, maps, maps.... since the SoE that word is in lots of mouths, i hear talks about map selection for servers, domain selection but i heard nothing about Elyrian maps and the power struggle that will come with them.

Yes i'm talking about the first Elyrian world war for each server, a war that is not going to be fought with swords and combat prowess, but with ink, quill and influence.

Once each server will have it's starting continent cartographer will need to draw world maps, maps that will start those wars. Where will the continent be displayed ? in the center aka on meridian 0 ? most likely, but where will be that meridian 0 ?

Where will the center of the world be ? which capital will claim that meridian and the fame and influence that goes with it ?

Will we have several of them for a time ? will the kingdoms manage to settle for a neutral point ? will the cartographer overstep political squabbles and make a neutral map ?

On a side not not really related, which do you think is closer to what we'll face ?

The black line in the middle is the equator, the blue is ocean, if starting continent is 28% of the world's land mass it means that 75% of the world is ocean, a huge blue square where one will be able to find 3.5 continents the size of ours or any combination of land that size.

World map 1

World map 2

World map 3

World map 4

1/14/2018 1:21:15 PM #1

You're misinterpreting what 28% of the land mass means. It means that 72% of the land is unknown, not that 72% of the world is ocean. I don't think the proportion of land to water has been published yet.

1/14/2018 2:15:28 PM #2

Posted By Poldano at 2:21 PM - Sun Jan 14 2018

You're misinterpreting what 28% of the land mass means. It means that 72% of the land is unknown, not that 72% of the world is ocean. I don't think the proportion of land to water has been published yet.

so lets do some math :)

world is 512 x 512 = 264 144 km²

starting continent is 96 x 192 = 18 432 km²

starting continent is 28% of all landmass so 1% of landmass is 18432 / 28 = 658.29 km² so total landmass is 65 828.57 km²

now 1% of the world is 2641.44 km² , 65 828.57 / 2641.44 = 24.92 so the total landmass is 25% of the world, which means 100 - 25 = 75, 75% of the world is ocean.

For comparison, earth ocean are 72% of the planet so Elyria is pretty close to our world as far as land/water distribution is concerned.