COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
Life is Fuedal

A friend of mine recently showed me LiF. It kinda reminds me of Ark.

Has anyone played it? From what I’ve read it’s a heavy grinding game.

But more importantly, is this the kinda game people are hoping CoE will be? Granted, with more organization and less pointless grinding

1/16/2018 8:47:53 PM #1

I've played a bit with my community on this game, and the grind can be mind numbing but I wasn't really too bothered with it.. it's some good fun but I'm not too invested, nor do I think the devs have been doing too great of a job with it.. especially how they've handled the RP server. Similar to CoE? Yes, but CoE seems like a lake and this is a more of a puddle.

1/16/2018 8:55:48 PM #2

The terrafoming is amazing!!!

Alt text - can be left blank

1/16/2018 8:57:00 PM #3

Riftwood has a group who plays. When you're working together it can be a lot of fun. It's nice to see the progress you've made as a group and be proud of it.

I am guessing CoE won't be as grindy as LiF, though. It will have much more to do, as well.

1/16/2018 9:00:11 PM #4

Probably one of the worse games I’ve ever played to be honest.

1/16/2018 9:09:36 PM #5

Played it and expect it to be similar in some way (Open world and all). However definitely expect less grinding and way more depth. I expect (and hope) people will be less likely to grief or go on a rampage as your character can't logg out like you can in LiF. So fokes can and likely will come after you if you do go on a rampage.

test

1/16/2018 9:41:06 PM #6

played YO but it is just a grind to the death. also the gameplay is very limited in what you can craft. and in PvP everything not Quality 100 is useless. so...no, never going to play that again.

carnead Die Entdecker und Verteidiger Avagasts suchen DICH! Egal welcher Berufsstand in unserer Stadt ist für jeden platz! [Geselle dich zu uns!] https://discord.gg/Sc6TyGR

1/16/2018 9:49:05 PM #7

I wanted to do archery but I had to wait for bows and arrow with 3 or 4 people doing archery..I couldn't make my own bows or arrows due to lack of skill. Which doesn't bother me but it being so grind heavy it just made the wait so long, Plus, leveling combat skills feels horrible.

If you like to build , RP, and have a group of people to play with then the game can be fun. At least IMO.

1/16/2018 10:02:22 PM #8

Yea I saw a twitch feed of people running around hacking down farmers. I understand it that LiF’s deterrent for griefing is alignment? Effects your skills? Doesn’t seem like its very effective.

Which made me wonder about the same problem but in CoE. From what I remember, criminals only get punished if they get caught? Or is the life loss permanently assigned to that character? Either way, I seem to remember apprehension of the criminal is critical. And sure, they don’t log off, but who’s going to take on a group of killers? Certainly not solo bounty hunters. What if these bandit players are strong enough to take on armies?

I know players that would happily play like this. They wouldn’t care about the life lost. It’s the thrill of killing defenseless players as they try to work in their fields. Taking on try-hards and destroying them.

And hopefully I was correct in that punishment relies on apprehending the criminals. Cuz I don’t think it’ll quite be enough. The online gaming community seems to be plagued by the kill on sight mentality.

Is there something I missed on deterring murder? I dont think the pricing system will deter criminals. Isnt it like 3 months guaranteed per spark?

1/16/2018 10:17:18 PM #9

Well think about this, in LiF you have a lot of solo farmers or small groups of farmers..Those guys mean nothing to others on the server..

In CoE, imagine you are a farmer that supplies a town,..Something happens to you, the town's food starts to slow down, meaning their production goes down, making people above that town annoyed...Also, we can use NPCs, having guards patrol, which people are not willing to do, may be enough to make small time criminals back off...

In terms of bounty hunters, people will have a place they will know they can go when being threaten..If you are playing a mmo and get attacked how many mmos have a building where you can file a complaint? I guess my point to this is that CoE will give us tools to deal with our problems. We just have to use them.

1/17/2018 12:48:15 AM #10

From my experience with Haven & Hearth which featured a system in which each crime leaves invisible clue markers at the location where it was committed. These can then be seen by detectives and a copy is collected which can act as a compass pointer directly towards the perpetrator. The worse the crime the longer the clues lasted and the easier they were to see.

This meant that tracking down the home of your attacker was fairly easy. The difficulty was that these homes were generally fortresses which could not be broken into. Nor was their much of a social reputation cost for the perpetrator because they didn't engage in any commerce with others.

Regular people could relatively easily make fortified locations as well, inside of which they were basically safe, but going outside meant you had a chance to encounter a griefers who was just on the prowl.

The lack of any organized militia with enough power to attack a fortified position (and the excessive defensiveness of thouse fortifications and excessive PvP disparity between players) was the main problem because the game just spawned people in the wild to live alone. The only organized groups were griefers who focused on maxing PvP, and making fortified bases. Any game that just throws people into a world randomly will have this problem.

Only after about a year would this situation start to stabilize and the largest most organized groups started to exert some control over the surrounding county side and declare that no killing by any other group would be tolerated in their territory. Effectively a state monopoly on the use of violence which allowed regular folks to survive, though often this was only after most had been driven away.

CoE in the way it puts the players into a world which already HAS a power structure and authority figures both PC and NPC who will be seeking to protect their areas from griefing and banditry means we can skip the Hobsian war of all against all phase and go right into the Feudal system in which the game really wants to be set. Games like Rusk and Life is Feudal are all about that chaotic phase, it's a feature not a bug for them.

Seneschal for the Hrothi County of Iskar, Recruiter for the Duchy of Aritaur

https://discord.gg/qRQ3Zj6

1/17/2018 3:44:50 AM #11

I only played it for a few weeks. But it's really just a slow grindy pvp game. Though in some ways could be like CoE, but not really at the same time.

You are basically screwed in LiF if you are a solo player. Since you can only really master a few skills. Which can be seen the same as CoE. But if some solo player was a smithy within my town and he got killed by someone. He would get protected. In LiF, people wouldn't even know or care.

The only good thing that came out of LiF for me, is watching people removing all the trees and not caring it took weeks for them to regrow back. Here is hoping the same thing doesn't happen in CoE.

It's really like trying to compare No Man Sky to Star Citizen, just laughable.

1/17/2018 9:55:24 AM #12

As someone who has put 2000+ hours between LiF YO the MMO (not proud of it, just saying) I can say that I personally think its a huge waste of potential. The crafting is boring and unrewarding, there is no real PvE (no monsters and the animals are buggy messes), and the PvP (the main reason I played it) is getting impossible to do due to laggy/broken servers and new mechanics.

The devs ignore the PvP/PvE/RP communities and have made a point of going against what the community wants until it starts hurting their wallets. The only thing the game has going for it now is an open world MMO base building game, but there are other games out there on the market that do it better. YO was my favorite game of all time but the devs messed up big time with their design decisions.

Don't get fooled by the "early access" stuff either. The MMO test servers functioned better a year ago, its only getting worse. I honestly had such high expectations, but as Gunnlang sorta said, it No Man Sky'd hard.

1/17/2018 10:40:07 AM #13

When it first came out, I saw promise in "Your Own" but it was squandered by greedy developers. They stopped caring and it shows. It's grown from a mind numbing singleplayer, multiplayer grind fest into a poisonous pay-to-win shitshow. With all the grind on top. The game is completely unplayable in a solo environment, and even if you get somewhere by yourself, expect to be killed on sight by everyone else. The few groups that don't kill you on sight will either demand that you join their group, pay them a "tax" or simply become their slaves. -1/10, would delete from my Steam library again.

TL;DR - It's garbage.

1/17/2018 12:47:00 PM #14

I really hope CoE is nothing like LiF. There are a few good elements, but overall, LiF is a boring and crappy game, just look at the steam user reviews of it.

1/17/2018 3:06:44 PM #15

Purchased Your Own ages ago and played it a bit back then. I was fairly optimistic about it when it got its graphics update and all that. After that it went basicly down hill and it seems to me they kind of abandoned the Idea of making a great game. Its all about the money now. (Which they do need, I understand. Its just such an ugly mess how they handle it)

Kind of sketchy implementation of the ingame store and borderline p2w aspects (like purchaseable XP-Boosts and stuff like that) absolutely go against what that game originally planned to be. If I remember correctly the devs even stated that they do not support Microtransactions in any way, back when. (Don't quote me on that tho)

I don't bother anymore.