COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
Surnames for Marriage & Children

Hi there. I'm fairly new here and apologize if these questions were asked before, or if the answers are obvious. I haven't quite figured everything out yet. I tried to use the search feature and couldn't find what I was looking for.

1) If my character marries another noble in game, do I have the option of keeping my maiden name if I want to?

2) If I marry another noble and we don't have the same last name, can our children/respective heirs have the last name of our choosing? (For example, if I want my heir to have my last name, and he wants his heir to have his last name.)

Thank you in advance for your time.

Friend Code: CB1D33

1/24/2018 4:30:59 AM #1
  1. I believe you get to decide on what surname to have when you sign a marriage contract.

2. Since only one parent would "claim" a child it would make sense for that child to have that parents surname. So as long as you designate your heir from a child granted to you by a child contract, it should work out fine.

1/24/2018 11:44:54 PM #2

Ha! So I don't mind the disagreement but it would be nice to know what the hangup is. Did I forget a Dev Journal that stated otherwise?

1/25/2018 1:35:52 AM #3

Posted By Ravenlute at 1:44 PM - Wed Jan 24 2018

Ha! So I don't mind the disagreement but it would be nice to know what the hangup is. Did I forget a Dev Journal that stated otherwise?

Just so you know, I have no idea why you were downvoted. Wasn't me, promise.

1/25/2018 1:48:41 AM #4

Posted By Lira at 5:35 PM - Wed Jan 24 2018

Oh, I didn't think it was. Figured it was someone who thought I was wrong or didn't like something I said in another post and decided to hit me in my recent ones. :)

Also, welcome to the forums! We'll be on the same server, different Kingdoms. Maybe I'll hear about you some time.

1/25/2018 7:50:01 AM #5

Posted By Ravenlute at 09:48 AM - Thu Jan 25 2018

Posted By Lira at 5:35 PM - Wed Jan 24 2018

Oh, I didn't think it was. Figured it was someone who thought I was wrong or didn't like something I said in another post and decided to hit me in my recent ones. :)

Also, welcome to the forums! We'll be on the same server, different Kingdoms. Maybe I'll hear about you some time.

I don't know why people "Dislike" without providing reasons, anyway, this is from a Dev Journal and it relates to the Topic.

When selecting a family you take over the life of one of their children. In order to maintain continuity, the lore establishes what’s called a “Naming Day”. That’s the day a character less than 18 years old chooses their new name - one that more closely describes who they are than the one they were born with. A player always takes over on their character’s Naming Day.

While you can give yourself a new "given name" you are, for the time being, stuck with the Surname of your family. The family name indicates which House you’re from and which dynasty you're a part of. This is what affects your reputation and fame. At server launch there will be dozens of Surnames used across the map, so there will be plenty of variety to choose from.

Don't like the Surname you start with? That's ok too. As you play the game and complete achievements you'll unlock new Surnames. Surnames can be changed in some cases when developing a new village and in most cases when you've completed a server first or server-once achievement. For example, be the first person to slay a Daemon and henceforth your line may be known as House Daemonbane. There will be a complete set of crafting, adventuring, and humorous achievements solely for the purpose of allowing you to take on new Surnames. One other thing to note though, while your Surname may change, your Dynasty does not. Once a part of a Dynasty, always a part of that Dynasty.

I'm pretty sure they stated when you make a baby in game it all based around the contract system so even if you have a different surname to your spouse u can probably choose who thebaby takes Iits name after your surname or your husbands.

1/25/2018 9:58:48 AM #6

Posted By Morne at 9:50 PM - Wed Jan 24 2018

I'm pretty sure they stated when you make a baby in game it all based around the contract system so even if you have a different surname to your spouse u can probably choose who thebaby takes Iits name after your surname or your husbands.

Oh, crap. I hadn't even thought about dynasties and stuff. Well, I guess as long as that sort of stuff is decided during the contract phase, I should be okay.