COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Reflection and Exploration: Smelting and Smithing

The history of smelting and metal crafting is a large and varied subject which each region and culture having their own nuanced traditions. This complexity creates an enormous challenge for those who wish to relate the basics of this art as they must determine what to cover, and more challenging what not to cover. As such, I would like to make the disclaimer now that I am only covering the basics, and I am going to gloss over several points and miss many different techniques. After presenting some basics I am going to explain how I hope some mechanics are implemented into Chronicles of Elyria and I look forward to your feedback on both parts. But, without any further aude I present a refection on smelting and the art of metal crafting.

The Science of Smelting

Smelting is the method of extracting the base metals such as iron, copper or silver for the ores that hold them in an oxide or similar ionic form. In ancient and medieval times this process took place in a stone or clay chimney looking furnace called a bloomery.

Inside of this bloomery, the temperature never rose to the true melting point of iron, 1500 degrees Celsius (2800 degrees F), so how then was the iron removed from the ore? Instead of melting the ore, the smiths instead used a reduction chemical reaction to pull the oxygen from the metal oxides in the ores to leave behind purer metals. This chemical reaction could take place at much lower temperatures (700 degrees C or higher) but these temperatures were obtainable inside of a bloomery.

With the use of reduction chemistry in smelting, charcoal became a very important fuel source to these smelters. Not only was it easy to mass produce and it burned hot enough to obtain the temperatures they needed, but the charcoal itself provides the reducing environment needed to remove the oxygen from the metals ores. An example of this is shown in the chemical equation below as the charcoal provides the carbon monoxide required to reduce the iron oxide.

Fe2O3 + 3CO -> 2Fe + 3CO2

After the iron has been reduced, the small pieces fall to the bottom where they gradually group together to form a large porous piece of iron called a bloom. Throughout the pores of this bloom and all over the bottom of the furnace is the molten waste product called slag, a combination of iron and waste materials that was to be run through the bloomery again to purify out the iron. After the bloom as been removed from the bloomery it would then have to be reheated and hammered to consolidate the lump of iron and beat out the clumps of slag that remained inside the bloom. After the slag had been worked out, the iron became known as wrought iron and was formed into usable blocks (billets) to be used by the smiths. It is also important to note, because iron’s alloys melt at a lower temperature than pure iron, carbon would start to become absorbed by the iron before it truly melted meaning that steel could be made in a bloomery but more on that later.

The Process of Smelting

Before the ore was placed into the bloomery, it was first cooked over a wood fire which is referred to as roasting the ore. This was a critical step for all ores but most importantly bog ore and any sulfide ores. This initial roasting would drive off any water and organic waste in the bog ores. For ores with more complex anions than oxides (sulfur, arsenic, ect) this fire would react with those chemicals, leaving behind the ore oxides which could then be reduced by the charcoal. For simple oxide ores this step was still useful as it allowed the ores to be smashed into smaller pieces with less effort, and these smaller pieces allowed the ore to be removed fast and more efficiently than larger chunks. (More surface area to volume ratio to be reduced by the charcoal.)

After the ore had been roasted and crushed into smaller pieces, the ore was then ready to be added to the bloomery. The bloomery would be ignited and preheated before any ore was added. When the bloomery was heated, layers of charcoal and ore were added in at about a 1:1 ratio. Every few minutes (depending on the rate of which the bloomery was moving materials and the overall size of the bloomery itself) new layers of ore and charcoal would be added to keep building the bloom.

After bloom had reached the desired size or they had run out of ore, the bloom was taken out of the bloomery and beaten to knock the largest pieces of slag off. From there it was cut into smaller pieces that were later individually worked into pieces of forgeable iron. The slag could then be gathered and re-smelted to remove the remaining from it. From there the process would begin again with the next batch of ore.

Pattern Welding (Damascus Steel)

As I had previously mentioned, because the alloys of iron melt before pure iron, it’s possible for carbon to be absorbed inside of the bloom based off of the temperature inside bloomery, thus creating steel. However, because there is no real control inside of the bloomery outside of the amount of charcoal added, there was a wide range of steel potentially created inside of the bloom, with some areas of the bloom having very high carbon concentrations and other large portions of the bloom having almost none at all. As such, smiths could receive a shipment of iron and it would almost seem to possess special qualities as it could hold an edge and was stronger than anything they had crafted before if they received a batch of good steel only to have their work suddenly decline again as they received a batch of lower quality materials.

To counteract this, smiths would find the pieces of iron that had both too much carbon and too little and stack them in alternating layers. Heating these, they could then be beaten into a single piece that contained these layers, helping distribute the carbon. Furthermore, this piece was then lengthened and refolded over and over to increase the number of layers and decrease the width of each layer. This distributed the carbon much more thoroughly and resulted in high quality steel out of previously sub-standard pieces. While this process is time consuming, the layer count could also advance very quickly as shown in the equation

Total Layers = Starting layers * 2^(number of folds)

This means that a piece that began with 5 layers (with the total height of 10 cm), by the second fold it would have 20 layers and each layer would be only .5 cm. By the 5th fold it would jump up to 160 layers and each layer is only .0625 cm (assuming it was beaten back into its original form of 10 cm height). This method was not without drawbacks however. Not only does it take a very long time to fold, but great care must be taken to have no inclusions in the finished work. An inclusion is any point at which one layer is not welded to the layers surrounding it which weakens the integrity of the entire piece. These inclusions could be caused by the piece not being heated to a high enough temperature or an improper hammering. Iron oxide developing on the surface of the metal (also known as scale) further creates problems when it comes to folding the material as this scale stops the welding between the sides and creates inclusions. This requires the smiths the brush off or clean the surfaces between each fold.

Due to the high cost in terms of time and potential of failure, pattern welding was an expensive process in which the smiths utilized it only for parts of their works. For example, an ax could be made of wrought iron or to give it a better edge, a small piece of good steel could be added in that single location. This reduced the cost in time and materials needed and still resulted in a good ax. Take this a step further to swords and it became a necessity to mix in wrought iron to the pattern welded steel. By twisting the bars together to make swords, the higher carbon steel would provide the good edges but the softer iron would form the core of the sword and allow the blade to flex instead of snapping.

2/4/2018 2:22:54 AM #1

Suggestions for Chronicles of ELyria

One of the big features that draws in members of the community, myself included, is the idea of being able to interact fully with every object and to build everything in the world in a true sandbox game. To do this, the developers promised skill-based tasks to increase different skills and build objects but as of yet, they have not announced any of their plans on how they wish to do it. So, like many others I will purpose how I hope certain things will be implemented and await impatiently for more information to be released on the topic. Please discuss your ideas and thoughts below as well.

Smelting

First and foremost, I hope that the citizens of Elyria will not start with blast furnaces but will instead have to use bloomeries and research better furnaces. As shown above, there is a vast world of metal preparation and refining between mining the ore from the ground to making a final product outside of simply throwing the ore inside of a furnace as is demonstrated in many different games. Not only would it add to the immersion but it would allow for players to have a greater impact on the world around them. For example, if there was a pocket of poorer quality ore, with the proper hard work, time and knowledge, the ore could be raised to a standard that their smiths could use proudly. That being said, it also creates the chance of good ore being lowered in quality if handled improperly. (This would of course be limited to some extent as the worst ore can’t be raised to the best but the best ore can be ruined to stop everything from becoming great.) This dynamic of variable quality in the materials would also promote a larger sense of community and a higher incentive to actually learn from someone else. The developers have already stated you won’t be able to succeed if you don’t first receive instruction. However, if the ore was instead wasted and ruined to a point very little acceptable material could be gained from it every time a new person attempted and failed, current smelters would bring many under their wing not only to expand their own business but the community would also be incentivized to educate them to stop the waste of resources.

Smithing

Looking through the forums, it seems you would be hard pressed to find a single job that is more popular and hyped about than blacksmithing by die hard fans and dabblers alike. With this comes its own challenges as the system must hold the ease of use to be fun to play for all but must also contain the depth, immersion and challenge to meet all the skill promises given by the developers. As such, what I am purposing may take a long time to develop but it could also be used for carpentry and stone working as well.

The first step to smithing an object would be to find the required tools and martials. When you have these, you could approach an anvil and open a list of all the objects you know how to build. This would be limited by the knowledge you have and could be expanded by working under a more experienced blacksmith or by watching them craft different things. When you have reached a suitably high level (such as expert or higher) you will be able to make items simply by inspecting them. After you select what item you would like to build, the ghost form of that object would appear and you would use your tools to try to turn the piece of metal into the ghost form. When you are lower level or it is your first time creating that specific object, the form would be faint, blurry and lacking in detail. Therefore, as you advanced and gained more skill the outline would become clearer and more detailed allowing for better works.

Taking that a step further, all items quality would be directly related to how close to the form they are of what it was supposed to look like. For example, if a first-time smith attempted to make an axe after watching a smith do it, he would only see the most basic blurry outline of the axe and he would be able to make the general shape. If he did good enough to meet the minimum level he could make an inferior axe. As he progressed in skill, the axe would gain more detail as he advances to legendary which would show the “perfect” form for that specific axe type. Furthermore, people could continuously improve by working beyond what their lower level form shows. So, if a smith is a high-end Artisan that is striving to reach Renowned, he could smith his blade slightly beyond directly by skill to where he thinks the next level is, and if achieved his work would gain the next level. This can work the other direction as well. Just because a smith is legendary, it does not mean everything he produces is legendary as well. Instead if they were going for quantity over quality they would be able to stop at the common level, only if they put in the high level of detail and time would they be able to achieve the legendary level (or any level in between). To prevent the spamming of low level items to reach higher levels it could also be made that a certain level of work must be reached to gain experience relative to each smith’s level.

Research

This smithing challenge would also allow for research in a logical method. When the smith would select research, the form would then lose detail and the form of the new invention or improvement would be hidden inside. The farther over the research bar the more detail that would be lost and the higher the chance that if something new was not made the quality of the work would be decreased only to be balanced by the higher chance of something new.

To bring the mining, smelting and smithing to full circle, the final step would be to add a shifting variable for the strength of each hit (controlled by the player) and the internal strength of the metal based off of the metals individual qualities such as composition and refinement. This would create a different dynamic as a softer lower quality metal might be easier for lower level smiths to work but may not be the best choice for that specific piece. Furthermore, each piece might then be rated not only on its workmanship but also its material qualities. This would make it nearly impossible for two blades to be perfectly identical and would create an ever-dynamic challenge for even the most seasoned while maintaining the simplicity for beginners as well.

While this crafting system might be complicated to develop its central principle and main design could also be transferred to wood and stone working with little tweaks. Instead of beating a metal into the form the, the wood or stone could instead be carved or cut into similar design forms and the underlying mechanics would all stay the same.

Thank you all for reading this, I look forward to hearing all of your feedback in the comments and if I receive enough good feedback I might do more of these on any other topics you choose.

2/4/2018 5:04:34 AM #2

This is a good proposal.

One of the keys to good smithing, mentioned in another thread, is the color of the metal when heated. Recognition of the appropriate color for a certain action to be performed could be a skill that is learned, and it would translate directly into a player skill, if the color of the object were faithfully reproduced. The assistance of a more experienced smith could help a learning smith home in on the appropriate time for an action faster. The same goes for actions and the quality of actions, like hammering or tempering.

2/4/2018 6:06:20 AM #3

Nice post with some good info.

Worth pointing out, though, that bloomeries were neither the first nor only method for iron production. Crucible steel, for example, is very different. Sri Lanka had something similar to a bloomery, but dug into coastal bluffs and driven by monsoon winds instead of bellows. There's more than one way to skin a cat!

2/4/2018 7:04:02 AM #4

Posted By Huntsmaster at 9:06 PM - Sat Feb 03 2018

Nice post with some good info.

Worth pointing out, though, that bloomeries were neither the first nor only method for iron production. Crucible steel, for example, is very different. Sri Lanka had something similar to a bloomery, but dug into coastal bluffs and driven by monsoon winds instead of bellows. There's more than one way to skin a cat!

I know and thank you for pointing this out. There are so many different ways to do things and in my background research I learned so much about each of them. Sadly I couldn't chase down every rabbit hole however due to length so I picked bloomeries, as almost every other method was a spin off of them somehow.

2/4/2018 8:00:55 AM #5

Between you and Huntsmaster, I am going to learn more details about crafting than I even knew existed. You guys are such a welcome wealth of information!