COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
Single parent adoptions

So, I was wondering if single parent adoptions are a possibility in the game. Mainly for role-playing reasons. Since families require 2 players to marry and the child is created based on both parents, and proficiency in skills based on professions of the parents, if a player were to adopt a child without a spouse, how would it play out?

2/6/2018 8:05:46 AM #1

I do not see why such a contract could not be made? I think at the child would still keep the features of the birth parents so that cant be helped. So just make a contract with the birth parents that states at they will give the child to you.

2/6/2018 8:55:50 AM #2

No need to marry, just have a child contract with anyone of the opposite sex, make sure to specify you get the kid in the contract.

2/6/2018 1:59:41 PM #3

Posted By Lestat at 02:05 AM - Tue Feb 06 2018

I do not see why such a contract could not be made? I think at the child would still keep the features of the birth parents so that cant be helped. So just make a contract with the birth parents that states at they will give the child to you.

Adoption does not exist currently. In addition there will be limits on what can be done via contracts. Just because we as human players can think of clauses and such to make a contract into whatever we want it doesn’t mean it will be available via CoE’s code.

As for the OP, as was said above no need to marry just create a child contract with a NPC and keep the child.

2/6/2018 6:48:02 PM #4

I can't imagine under the current system how a child could be adopted.

1) it would require the child to have been abandoned before they turned 18...and I'm not even sure how possible that is.

2) It would require the existing owner of the child to sign away their child...which may not be a supported clause.

Well, technically...yes...will it be supported in game? We don't know.

We don't even know if orphanages will exist, or if children will run around in the world at all, etc

2/8/2018 1:45:23 AM #5

Considering you can make your character from a Ward of the State, don't see why you couldn't adopt one of them. I would thing you would get random stats if you did this, so if you were looking to continue the family line without having a child, it would be the way to go (if it's allowed). I would think most people would be having kids would be to make an heir for their next spark of life, to continue building up their skills. I would recommend finding a nice NPC, marrying them, have kids that will have some of the traits that you already have and continue the bloodline.

Angelica Server (NA- W) Friend Code: 352AE0

3/15/2018 4:54:36 PM #6

The wiki says that surnames of wards of the state are decided by which orphanage they come from. If there's orphanages I suppose it would be logical for there to be adoption. Signing a contract with the orphanage to adopt a child doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility and actually makes a lot of sense.

Luna Server NA-East ; Citizen of the Kingdom of Kairos, Duchy of Ashira, County of Agrion Discord: https://discord.gg/msw2Qm

Member of the Azmar City Council, Student of Tyto Academy

Friend Code: C80DCC

3/15/2018 5:04:23 PM #7

There are indeed orphanages, however, that does not logically mean there is adoption. The orphanages allow people to create Ward character which start at the age of 12 and have the benefits of additional customisation at the cost of the benefits associated with having a family. It is because they do not have the benefit of family that adoption of Wards makes little sense, and also these are character that already have a player using them so not suitable for an heir.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

3/15/2018 6:29:34 PM #8

I would think at not all wards are player characters. But i do not think at adoption is an important feature when it is easy to get children with contract. Something that could be nice as an later update but not needed for launch.

3/15/2018 6:38:13 PM #9

It won't be an update. It is purposefully left out so players must make a choice between starting with a family to support them or starting without a family in order to gain more control over their character.

3/15/2018 6:47:47 PM #10

The system could simply be built so that the player wards can not be adopted and the npc ones can. That would not change the early game decisions but would allow boarder range of decisions in the endgame (lifetime). But that is pure theory and not a request for a feature that i personally do not see any need for as of yet (exposition/launch). But after years of playing it might be an interesting way to build you'r story.

3/16/2018 2:55:56 AM #11

Elsewhere it has been mentioned that people can be brought into your family somehow, but then we also 'know' adoption isn't a thing... what's the difference, where's the line? I don't think I've seen a recent disclosure on this whole stratification showing where these things line up with each other.

4/5/2018 10:47:59 PM #12

There should be a way for players who are a "ward of the state" to be able to be "adopted" by contract by another player that has a character that's a certain age, has a room for you, etc. I don't see why a contract like that couldn't exist.

As for adopting NPC characters.... Orphanages are definitely a thing. Whether they're just for PC's who spawn as wards of the state or they also include NPC orphans is another thing entirely though.

Provided of course your PC is a certain age, has a certain amount of assets, and the NPC orphan is under whatever the legal adult age stage is, it should be easy to create an "adoption" contract with the orphanage director and NPC orphan (after you've gained a high relationship level with them) and get you a kid that way.

That would be interesting though..Like a Bruhdvir adopting a 5 year old Kypiq, but realistically it could probably be locked to you only able to adopt a kid from your tribe as a way to preserve the cultures.

NA-EAST