COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Elyria & Chill - Songbirds

Hello, Elyrians!

Over the past few days, I've been hung up on a question regarding the implications of the description of one of the current [Elyria-and-Chill] store event items (no, not the Deviant Package).

Specifically, a few of the lines on the Songbirds:

Keep or gift this pair of song birds which you will receive as a pet, and a cage to keep them in. This is a mated pair of songbirds, keep them fed and ultimately you will end up with a third.

Please note: This pet is different from the other currently available pets, as they have the potential to fly away and cannot be trained.

There are a few nods to happenings relevant to animal husbandry in this description with the mention of mated pairs and procreation as well as the inability to train these pets. We're warned these birds will fly away if we're careless, but Elyria isn't so simple a game where you would expect your escaped songbirds to vanish into thin air.

So My Question is This:

If enough birds are released into a suitable area, could these Songbirds be successful introduced as a species? Will they follow the standard of Elyria's npcs by attempting to find a suitable location to live, the resources to sustain itself and (if all such conditions are met) begin contributing to the songbird population?

Elyria-and-ChillSongbird

(Ecology willing, I need fill my lands with them!)

2/14/2018 9:08:36 AM #1

A land with songbirds does sound lovely! Sorry, I'm quite new so I don't have an answer for you - just wanted to say that I think it's an awesome idea and question.

Friend Code: CB1D33

2/14/2018 2:20:17 PM #2

I'm not sure if they would colonize a new area if there was sufficient population and living conditions.

but i'm willing to bet they already exist in large numbers somewhere in the land. Presumably the tropics.

because sticking with all the other things the devs have said about other parts of the game as well as the lore they have created.

My presumption is they weren't just conjured out of thin air. Someone had to have captured them from somewhere in elyria.

however whether they will colonize your lands or fly to their homeland.

that I'm not sure on.

2/14/2018 2:48:35 PM #3

In Discord Caspian mentioned the Song Birds were biome specific, which leads me to believe that whatever biome you are in, will have these songbirds in the wild already.

However, the topic of introducing new species to an area they are not found in is still very interesting. I wonder if its possible.

2/14/2018 3:17:00 PM #4

Thanks for the comments, everyone! As CaptainSeli noted:

Caspian [2/06/18]: "In case you missed it - The Songbirds are region specific. It'll create different birds depending on which biome you activate the item in."

So this very well may mean these birds will already be present in whatever biome the species are specific to, though I still wonder if it's possible to tailor an area to their liking for release, gradually filling that area with wild songbirds.

2/15/2018 8:23:39 AM #5

Songbirds are ubiquitous, it seems.

I wonder if there will be parrots. That would be kinda cool.