COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Lung conditions

*If there is already a thread covering what I'm talking about please link me

Some tribes in Chronicles are under a permanent debuff while outside particular biomes. Not only does this strictly limit playstyles it also creates an isolationist culture (because they're minmaxing their stamina). This is fine in terms of story, but once it's in the players hands it's going to give off some pretty bad impressions of the game to people who aren't taking notice of passives and opt into a tribe for immersion and taste.

For example, I like the Janoa because I'm in love with the idea of parkour in this game and especially the possibility of ship-to-ship battles where a master pirate can scurry across the sails. But, that seems highly inefficient due to wet lung penalizing me while in the blue desert (the ocean). So the only time the classic parkouring Janoan image comes to fruition would be in trees in the south. Meanwhile, the Neran are rocking every part of Elyrias fun because nothing holds them back.

I'm not asking or making a case for the removal of these lung conditions. In fact they're a great idea. Especially when we introduce breeding/bloodlines that can help you adapt - in theory. We all know intuitively how someone gains cold resistance. But lungs are an entirely different thing, that is far more genetic and less intuitive. Meaning there is no way, unless it's included in regional bonuses, to help a dry lung character play without several bloodlines. Because of this sort of grey area and no intuitive way to fix lungs I'm left wondering how it's meant to be managed.

Would a Wet Lung and a Dry Lung bloodline slowly make the lungs on a healthy range? Or would you simply develop more weaknesses? Would the region youre born in change your lung condition in anyway or is that purely for temperature resistance?

What's everyone's opinion on this topic?

I'm not interested in minmaxing during COE. I just want a general path that can help me adapt so I can see how viable it is. Though I would like to play my prefer tribe in my people's Kingdom. Without any information I'm clueless as to what to do. Enjoy the game? Or enjoy my community?

3/8/2018 11:13:34 AM #1

I would also like clarification if lung conditions are a “minor” stamina debuff or a more debilitating condition.

For example, could one play a Waerd on the APAC server, rumoured to be archipelago, and “enjoy” all the content?

3/8/2018 12:10:39 PM #2

Both environment and genetics matter, you can both breed out weaknesses and adapt against them over time and across generations.

KS Backer 750 Friend Code: 8FF2A7

3/8/2018 12:56:10 PM #3

I think a Janoa would be fine on the ocean, as most of the ocean is fairly humid due to the evaporation of water over a large surface. Maybe not like the Jungle, but certainly not a desert!

3/8/2018 1:05:25 PM #4

Actually, I don't think you have anything to worry about haha.

According to the descriptions, wet lung penalty applies to dry and arid biomes. If it is meant as it is written, I highly doubt the Janoa or To'resk would face a penalty while being at sea or even in a temperate biome.

It seems more likely these penalties would apply to or manifest in a noticeable way while in any form of desert (semi-arid or tundra).

If anything, I'd be more worried about playing a character at sea like the Dras who become wounded with direct and prolonged sun exposure.

3/8/2018 2:27:20 PM #5

I have to agree with what others have said. I do not think that it will be as major of a condition as you expect. It will be a minor stamina weakness, although again it will be possible to breed it out if it bothers you a lot. I know others have intentions of breeding others for other conditions that are beneficial.

3/18/2018 5:28:06 AM #6

Good dialogue so far. Thanks for the thoughts everyone

3/18/2018 7:39:56 AM #7

Tbh i think Janoa if we are going purely off the traits are the weakest in my opinion.

They have so many negative traits for the one benefit of being able to swing around in the jungle. Aren't kypiq suppose to be good climbers and swingers too? Do we even know if longer arms will help with non tree stuff? How far is the extra reach? Can we jump to higher places for example?

The question is are you going to stay in the jungle all the time to make this advantage worth it? If you leave the jungle then the other "advantage", stripes stacks against you. Add in wet lung and poor social skills meaning you will have a harder time to communicate etc.

What I'd like to know is does having longer arms make you better at pvp? Longer reach, draw a bow further etc because in my opinion janoans really lack any meaningful advantages.

3/18/2018 12:19:39 PM #8

Yes the longer reach makes you better in PvP, as does their superior strength. They are also the best climbers in the game.

3/18/2018 12:29:00 PM #9

Posted By Kaynadin at 08:19 AM - Sun Mar 18 2018

Yes the longer reach makes you better in PvP, as does their superior strength. They are also the best climbers in the game.

I am not sure how true that is. As per the write up of the Kypiq it says "no other tribe which can hold a candle to the agility demonstrated by the Kypiq, which has been honed over years of climbing and leaping among the trees to survive."

However in the Janoa write up it does say " They are one of the strongest and most physically resolved, and they are far more agile than the majority of the tribes lending to the Janoa being some of the fiercest of fighters." So they are indeed very agile and good tree climbers but I do not think they are the best.

3/18/2018 1:53:45 PM #10

You bring up some damned good points Sagan, and I'm definitely curious to see how SBS developers are thinking, on whatever levels, towards integration of lung-related mechanics.

Posted By Selwyn at 06:13 AM - Thu Mar 08 2018

I would also like clarification if lung conditions are a “minor” stamina debuff or a more debilitating condition.

For example, could one play a Waerd on the APAC server, rumoured to be archipelago, and “enjoy” all the content?

I've actually had to think about this a lot for, I'm in a kingdom that may very likely overlap Waerd and my own personal endeavors have my homeland situated on a shoreline.

When I've looked at this matter locally I always tried to start general and localize it. The same results I got for Waerd+Shoreline are near identical to Waerd+Island, for obvious reasons. Either way, a great way to envision such a combination is to combine the elements known about the biome and the architecture and you end up somewhere very similar to Mediterranean Greek whatnots, and I'll betchu 50,000EP that SOMEONE's gonna like seeing a Santorini'esque coastal settlement :P