COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Construction, Crafting, and Gathering Time? Discuss!

Warning: It's a big post and there's no TL:DR

I was thinking about how long it might take to build a massive structure such as a cathedral in-game and that expanded into general construction of anything. So I wanted to see the opinion of everyone else. I'm expecting there to be a hefty time investment for crafting and gathering. These are supposed to be full time jobs for a character, no?

For the sake of discussion we'll leave out transport times for the materials and parts, as well as assuming that the gatherers have access to large sources of wood/stone/ore/whatever. Let's also assume that the times provided are for a single characters effort in crafting or gathering, and only discuss in terms of real world time for the sake of simplicity.

My reasoning for the times I provide is that Elyria has finite resources. So if gathering is quick and easy then we'll strip Elyria of all resources rather quickly. Remember that the non-renewable resources are supposed to last... at least 8 years? It's possible we could exhaust the non-renewable resources before the 10 year story finishes. This would force us to rely on recycled materials. With that understanding, we can't have the throttle on construction being only the time required to gather materials. Crafters should help shoulder some of the time burden.

In my opinion the ideal economy would be a slight surplus of materials so that ultimately people are waiting on crafters to produce the end-product. Of course this all depends on the number of characters that are crafters/gatherers. I think the ratio of time spent gathering to time spent crafting should be 3:1. To simplify, it would take 10 gatherers 1 hour to acquire the materials required for a crafter to make something that requires 1 hour of work. There should be more gatherers than crafters, no? Also, gathering can be done much more easily by OPCs than crafting can. So this ratio is accounting for the fact that gatherers can invest more time into gathering than crafters can into crafting.

Also, as my stance is for crafting and gathering to take a lot of time, the values I give will be for my absolute minimum I would like to see. If you think the time required should be higher, then please give the minimum time you would like to see. If you think the time required should be lower, then please give the maximum time you would like to see.

Simple reminder of the amount of players that are likely to reach certain tiers of mastery:

• Novice: 100% of all people will achieve Novice
  • Apprentice: 70% of all people are likely to achieve apprentice in a skill
  • Journeyman: 60% of all people will achieve journeyman
  • Expert: 50% of all people will achieve Expert
  • Artisan: 40% of all people will be Artisans
  • Renowned: 30% of all people will achieve Renowned
  • Master: 20% of all people will achieve Master
  • Grandmaster: 10% of all people will achieve Grandmaster
  • Legendary : 1% of all people will achieve Legendary

For the following example of crafting a common sword I expect you won't even be able to craft a sword until you reach apprentice. Novice would be assisting in things like minding the bellows, smelting ore into ingots, hammering fresh ingots into the general shape of a sword. For uncommon, exceptional, and master quality items I expect expert, artisan, and master tiers to be required.

Let's start with a standard 1-h sword with nothing fancy on it. Common quality. Iron 1-h swords weigh 3lb. or 1.36kg on average. Enough iron for the sword + wood and leather strips for wrapping the handle. The amount of wood and leather is negligible overall so let's just think about the iron. The times don't include an apprentice helping. Which could make it faster.... or slower.

• Mining the iron. Just enough for a sword. 150 minutes attacking an ore vein with a mining pick.(50m for 3 people. 17m for 9 people.)

• Smelting the ore into an ingot. The forge is already hot enough. 10 minutes.(+5 if the forge isn't already going)

• Crafting the parts for the sword. Blade, guard, and pommel. 15m, 5m, and 5m. 25 minutes total.

• Sharpening, polishing, and assembling. 5m each. 15 minutes total.

• 50 minutes of work for the smith and 150 minutes for the miner. 200 minutes of work for a basic 1-h sword of common quality if you were to do it all on your own.

• Bonus points! Uncommon, exceptional, and master quality with no decorations, still a basic 1-h sword, just of higher quality? Same time for gathering and smelting the ore, but increased time for the crafting processes. Uncommon quality, 70 minutes. Exceptional quality, 110 minutes. Master quality 190 minutes. I used 1.4x, 2.2x, and 3.8x multipliers.

• Bonus bonus points!?!? Sharpest blade possible, no imperfections, perfect balance, incredibly intricate engravings, peerless, legendary, and expensive as hell. 112... hours, or 14 days at 4h a day. Not including the time required for legendary quality leather for the grip, or the work on any rare gems that might be on the hilt or pommel. Don't forget that engraving will likely be done by someone other than the blacksmith that makes the sword.

This section about armour is complete speculation as I don't know about the processes behind armor crafting. Maybe someone could provide me with correct numbers based on the production time of a 1-h sword?

What about a chest plate, or a full suit of plate armour? On average a full suit of plate was around 44lbs or 20kg so 14x the gathering and ?smelting? time.(How much could you smelt at one time?) That puts it at 2200m, or 36.5h, or 9d at 4h a day for gathering enough iron for a full suit of plate amour. At the same gathering to crafting ratio of 3:1 I used previously that would be 733m, or 12h. That sounds reasonable enough to me for a full set of plate armor... if not a little too fast.

Let's talk about buildings now!

Size reference for buildings. Credit to.... someone other than me.

Let's assume these are Neran structures on a flat grassy plain.and let's stick to just a house, manor, and a cathedral. For the house and manor, both wood and stone versions, and stone for the cathedral. We don't want structures popping up overnight so they will take a fair bit of time. Due to the complexity of the structures I won't go into much detail. I'll keep the 3:1 gatherer to crafter ratio. No furniture or doodads either. Times are for a single person doing all the work.

• Wooden House, 1-story, 2 rooms:160h, or 40d at 4h a day

Assembling the house: laying the foundation, nailing boards together, a window, outside walls, inside wall, and 2 doors. 28h, or 7d at 4h a day.

Constructing the components: Cutting logs into appropriate size boards, nails, 2 doors, and a glass window. 12h, or 3d at 4h a day.

Gathering the materials: Wood, iron, and glass. 120h, or 30d at 4h a day.

• Stone House, 1-story, 2 rooms: 226h, or 56.5d at 4h a day.

Assembling the house: Laying the foundation, placing the stone 'bricks', spreading mortar, outside walls, inside wall, glass window. 2 wood doors. 36h, or 9d at 4h a day.

Constructing the components: Shaping stones into 'bricks', mixing the mortar, 2 wood doors and a glass window. 20.5h, or 5d at 4h a day.

Gathering the materials: Stone, lime, wood, and glass. 169.5h, or 42d at 4h a day.

• Wooden Manor, 2-story: I'll cheat a bit and use the house as a base. A manor covers enough ground for 4 houses and is 2 stories. That's 1280h, or 320d at 4h a day.

• Stone Manor, 2-story: 1808h or 452d at 4h a day.

• Cathedral, massive, go big or go home: I expect the biggest cathedrals being larger than a parcel and over 6 stories tall. These are mega-structures. Along with castles I expect these to take more than a year in-game with a large team working on them.

2 years at 4h a day, or 712d at 4h a day for 100 characters

That's 200 years at 4h a day for a solo player. Yeah, it's impossible. It's supposed to be. You could easily have 100 people working on the construction of a cathedral spread out between gathering, constructing, and assembling.

Let me know what you think! I'm curious how big of a range people are expecting.

3/8/2018 9:44:31 PM #1

There are actual historical records for some medieval construction projects. The records of the Welsh castle building program of English King Edward I are among the best documented that I know of.

You can also get some idea of cost and effort for the actual constructions by using modern estimation figures. The methods of building masonry (i.e., brick and stone) structures on the scale of houses has not changed all that much since ancient times.

I think your figures are in the right order of magnitude, or close to it. Cathedrals, in particular, took centuries to complete. Sometimes this was due to running out of money, but a lot of it was because the projects were quite difficult and stretched the limits of physics, engineering capability, and the materials in use.

3/8/2018 10:16:21 PM #2

RE: OP I think 2.5 hrs of mining time is far too long for the amount of iron enough for just one sword. This is not rewarding to a player. Two and a half hours of staring at a wall and clicking. I think you maybe allocating this much time to it because you have not considered traveling time. Which i think should be included for the proper time calculations. Also, take into account material loss due to bandits on route.

To take up the kind of time you want, we should put more time into passive activities. like melting ore, ore cooling and setting. Maybe iron ore can to be cleaned (or whatever the word is) to be ready for melting. So i am think that it should take something like 5 minutes to get enough iron for a sword (with one person working). Then sometime for getting the iron ore ready to be sold to the blacksmiths. It could be made such that the opc and npc collect ore at a much slower pace.

mining should be somewhat rewarding. if you are collecting materials at a snail's pace then no one would want to do it. Sure opc can do it, but pc miner is required to become an opc. Also mining is a very physical activity. so you can make the player have to take a lot of breaks. so 5 min (remember that is couple of hrs in game) to get enough iron for a sword, then the player must rest and recover stamina for a long time before they are able to mine again. maybe one person can only have enough stamina in a day to get materials enough for 2 swords. OH and also, a player might have to mine a few patches to even find an ore patch. that can take up some time.

In short, i want the actually mining of the ore to take only 5 min to collect 1 sword worth of it. other activities like finding the ore patch, cleaning it, transporting it, take up more time. Also make opc and npc collect slower if need be.

3/8/2018 11:02:43 PM #3

Things made of metal are durable goods. If each character only needs a few swords worth of metal taken from the ground each lifetime (recycling covering the rest), and that 1 year supply takes maybe 1 hour to mine at 5 mins per sword worth, what will all the miners do after a few weeks when the iron supplies are so plentiful that they'll cover the amount of metal needed for a year? Production of the raw resources needs to take a lot of time or the market will be flooded very quickly and the mining profession will fade away. Sure you could pad time by making smelting take a long time, or by making metals so hard to find that the average miner will spend 90% of their play time wandering around hoping to find ore, but is that so much better than having to work through a lot of rock to extract metals bits at a time?

3/8/2018 11:25:51 PM #4

Posted By Kaynadin at 6:02 PM - Thu Mar 08 2018

Things made of metal are durable goods. If each character only needs a few swords worth of metal taken from the ground each lifetime (recycling covering the rest), and that 1 year supply takes maybe 1 hour to mine at 5 mins per sword worth, what will all the miners do after a few weeks when the iron supplies are so plentiful that they'll cover the amount of metal needed for a year? Production of the raw resources needs to take a lot of time or the market will be flooded very quickly and the mining profession will fade away. Sure you could pad time by making smelting take a long time, or by making metals so hard to find that the average miner will spend 90% of their play time wandering around hoping to find ore, but is that so much better than having to work through a lot of rock to extract metals bits at a time?

I think he meant 5 minutes to mine the actual node itself but I could be wrong, if not there is a lot that can happen while trying to mine though..Don't forget about losing energy, having to build the mine in the first place, sleeping, eating, find more nodes of iron, repairing of their own gear, cave-ins, attacks by animals or bandits, wars, weather changes that can slow down or halt progress, and iron can be used for a ton of things. Also, we are only speaking about iron, there are other materials they can mine as well. Digging tunnels is a job miners can assist with, without having to dig up ore exactly. I'm sure tons of people want underground dungeons or rooms.

IMO doing a skill base gathering challenge for 5+ minutes is a very long time for a 1 sword pay out. If they want to limit how much ore we can carry at one time to also make the process a bit longer I think that would be fine.

3/8/2018 11:38:05 PM #5

Posted By Kaynadin at 6:02 PM - Thu Mar 08 2018

Iron is used for more than just swords. Also, if the demand for iron drops, an iron miner will just become a gold miner, or a copper miner, or a stone miner. This is a game not real life so no one will just be a iron miner. All these things (iron, stone, copper, gold, silver, etc.) need to be mined. You can't possibly expect so many people being miners and specializing in just one type. I'm very sure a miner will be able to mine anything that will need to be mined.

I agree with you that at times there will be a surplus of one type of mineral. then the mineral patch will run out. Now finding a new one will take some time. At this time the miners will just move on to mining something else until a new iron mine is found and is required. In fact, i think there will also be a time when we found so many iron deposits that its floods the market and lowers the value of iron ore. At this point the miners are not profiting from iron. They will just move one to mining a different ore that is in demand. Iron mines will just lay there until they are required again.

This happens in real life. Like irl, mining companies might with hold selling then iron ore all at once to make sure its always in demand. Again these mining companies will just send their miners to mine something else.

Its been said that the total amount of finite resources in the whole of elyria will last almost a 10 yr period. But, no one said its all there in the starting continent or in a single mine. Finding these mines are getting them ready to be mined and establishing transport routes are part of the process that will take time. And i fully expect some jobs becoming unnecessary as we move forward. People will have to find new jobs. Maybe there are no more mines anywhere near your mining hamlet you set up after half a year (irl). This will happen. This creates story. Your little hamlet will need to find another way to make money or get up and move. I'm sure we will find abandoned hamlets and towns due to job loss.

3/9/2018 12:05:24 AM #6

I'm not going to confirm or deny how long it takes to mine or or make a sword here, but here are a few things to consider:

1) There's a finite amount of iron in the world. If mining iron is a quick process you will run out of iron very quickly.

2) Mining is more than just getting the iron out of the rock. Very little iron is going to be "harvestable" on the surface in most biomes. That means you're going to have to tunnel, so a large piece of the "time it takes to mine" might actually come not in the extraction but the prospecting of the ore in the first place.

3) A miner is likely to smelt the ore themselves as well, given the logistical challenges of shipment in Elyria. If you can only load 2000 kilos of stuff into a wagon, to use a completely random max value, would you rather load 2000 kilos of refined iron or 2000 kilos of rock containing roughly 2% iron? So extracting the ore isn't the only timesink involved in mining even if your prospecting is already handled, at least for most folks.

As you can probably tell, there are cases for lengthening and shortening the time it takes to extract ore in those points. I just wanted to provide them for your consideration.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
3/9/2018 12:11:03 AM #7

Something I've wanted to point out for a while for the "size of a parcel" thing in that image (a bit off topic) is that 64x64m is just an acre rounded to metric.

For the time to gather materials for a sword- that's why swords were expensive, I guess.

I'm not sure about construction in general, but as far as cathedrals go, I know IRL Europe's cathedrals were multi-generational construction projects. Absolutely titanic jobs.

3/9/2018 12:53:32 AM #8

Based on what Snipe said, you will probably need to hire an alchemist, which would be the equivalent of a chemist today, to be able to do such a job.

The processing jobs will make big money in the early game because it will probably take a large amount of skill to achieve maximum extraction.

Friend Code: 1BD8F6

3/9/2018 1:11:07 AM #9

Posted By Snipehunter at 7:05 PM - Thu Mar 08 2018

I'm not going to confirm or deny how long it takes to mine or or make a sword here, but here are a few things to consider:

1) There's a finite amount of iron in the world. If mining iron is a quick process you will run out of iron very quickly.

2) Mining is more than just getting the iron out of the rock. Very little iron is going to be "harvestable" on the surface in most biomes. That means you're going to have to tunnel, so a large piece of the "time it takes to mine" might actually come not in the extraction but the prospecting of the ore in the first place.

3) A miner is likely to smelt the ore themselves as well, given the logistical challenges of shipment in Elyria. If you can only load 2000 kilos of stuff into a wagon, to use a completely random max value, would you rather load 2000 kilos of refined iron or 2000 kilos of rock containing roughly 2% iron? So extracting the ore isn't the only timesink involved in mining even if your prospecting is already handled, at least for most folks.

As you can probably tell, there are cases for lengthening and shortening the time it takes to extract ore in those points. I just wanted to provide them for your consideration.

Perfect! This is what i was hoping for.

3/9/2018 3:35:52 AM #10

Posted By Fudgemuffinator at

I think the ratio of time spent gathering to time spent crafting should be 3:1. To simplify, it would take 10 gatherers 1 hour to acquire the materials required for a crafter to make something that requires 1 hour of work. There should be more gatherers than crafters, no?

My taxation survey indicated that even among commoners, more people planned to be producers than gatherers. NPCs may end up carrying a large part of the load if that trend holds.

Let's start with a standard 1-h sword with nothing fancy on it. Common quality. Iron 1-h swords weigh 3lb. or 1.36kg on average.

>

• Mining the iron. Just enough for a sword. 150 minutes attacking an ore vein with a mining pick.

Recall that iron ore isn't just iron. It's iron oxide (rust) at best, so you have to collect at least double the weight you need in iron.

You've drastically underestimated the time required to smelt the ore to iron. Biringuccio cites 8-10 hours to smelt a good quality iron ore on the smithy hearth. There are economies of scale, but even a medieval Milanese bloomery would take half a day or more to make a ~40lb bloom that then requires further working before true forging begins.

3/9/2018 3:44:34 AM #11

Your guesses on the houses seem about right. I still remember what Caspian said so long ago. A small house would take a few days to build. I sometimes think people forget just how hard this game is aiming to be.

Posted By Rasigan at 09:16 AM - Fri Mar 09 2018

I think 2.5 hrs of mining time is far too long for the amount of iron enough for just one sword. This is not rewarding to a player. Two and a half hours of staring at a wall and clicking. I think you maybe allocating this much time to it because you have not considered traveling time. Which i think should be included for the proper time calculations. Also, take into account material loss due to bandits on route.

Well really depends on many things. If you have found an iron vein, then sure, it really shouldn't take too long to mine the iron out. If you are unlucky and need to find the iron, that could take any amount of insane time. I'm not sure if there be some "way" to find minerals underground. But if there isn't, expect to be mining rock for a long ass time.

Remembers the time I was playing 7daystodie and trying to find some ore, many many hours I wasted. Yet I didn't even need to worry about all the support of the mineshaft, could only carry so little etc.

3/9/2018 4:42:08 AM #12

Also some hope for low-budget, low-time, low-skill-barrier house-building highlighted in this video

3/9/2018 5:34:34 AM #13

Posted By Snipehunter at 4:05 PM - Thu Mar 08 2018

If you can only load 2000 kilos of stuff into a wagon, to use a completely random max value, would you rather load 2000 kilos of refined iron or 2000 kilos of rock containing roughly 2% iron?

Depends on what I'm doing with the rock. If it's only 2% iron, no way am I wasting my time smelting it! I must have some other purpose in mind, and maybe that's worth more to me than a bunch of blooms or bars of iron?

3/9/2018 5:36:10 AM #14

Posted By Snipehunter at 7:05 PM - Thu Mar 08 2018

If all what you are saying is to be in some way implemented into the game exactly or an altered version i cant wait to get to play. I think there is a high need in the rpg world for somewhat a better alternate life sim. From my knowledge something on this scale and style has never been implemented into a mmorpg that has a constant evolving world.

With this id hope it balances out how much effort and reward this is to not discourage players who just dont want to mine or grow food all day with little to come of.

Friend code: 64E963

3/9/2018 7:48:38 AM #15

Everything stated in the OP is about right. And that certain projects should take longer to complete. This will get players to cooperate and work together on projects of great scale. Though it will also inhibit players that prefer to play solo. So having realistic build/harvest times will have it's pros and cons in the sense that some players just won't find it appealing while others may like the realism and feeling of accomplishment at the end of a hard month of work building a house.

Right now, I'm just a sloth. Just a motionless sloth. A sinful sloth. Please don't make me work. Can't you see how troublesome it would be to get up everyday and actually be productive? Just leave me be. Let me be a sloth.