COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
VoxElyria

I backed CoE during the Kickstarter and really haven't paid attention to it afterwards. Knowing that something like this would be in development for a long time. Well, a few days back I decided to check in and reserve my sirname. With that I then began browsing around and reading all the Dev Blogs, and a few threads on the forums.

I saw people talking about and seen screenshots of this VoxElyria. I am wondering why they are spending cycles working on this voxel version?

Now my guess is that it is a good sandbox to test features and concepts. As well as release these features and concepts as they finish so they do not have to wait for the art and CG teams to finish modeling and texturing everything. Would I be correct in this assumption?

We cannot control the wind, but we can direct the sail

Moonhaven

3/11/2018 8:12:12 PM #1

Hello Shikaio, great to see you on the forums and welcome back!

Your guess is exactly correct yes, VoxElyria allows the developers to work on a number of mechanics which are independent of the Unreal client like contracts, NPC interaction, etc. A lot of the work in VoxElyria can be done without having to duplicate for the later client. You can read a bit more in this DJ from the past (Note back then VoxElyria was named ElyriaMUD as it was planned to be more of a text-based client),

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/17384/DJ-19-PreAlpha-Experiences

3/11/2018 8:43:39 PM #2

DISCORD Join the CoE discord lots of information is shared in Soul-Chamber.

3/11/2018 9:03:49 PM #3

I think it's also partly testing server/client communication. Also there was talk of a companion app with which players would ostensibly be able to do some basic management from outside the game world, and this app wouldn't use the UE4 engine either or require all of those massive assets.

3/11/2018 9:15:48 PM #4

Posted By Polite at 3:12 PM - Sun Mar 11 2018

VoxElyria (AKA ElyriaMUD) Design Journel

Fixed that link for you Polite :)

3/11/2018 9:23:57 PM #5

Sweet. Thanks everyone for setting that one straight and I really approve of the idea. There have been games in the past where having a test bed early on would have helped them. Or the design team was slowing down the programmers because project managers were waiting on both pieces of a puzzle to be ready.

Well, those of you who have will have access to the VoxElyria, Enjoy! And help the designers make what is best for us all. I only have Alpha II access. So I won't get to play in that sandbox.

Moonhaven

3/11/2018 9:49:03 PM #6

Posted By Shikaio at 08:23 AM - Mon Mar 12 2018

Sweet. Thanks everyone for setting that one straight and I really approve of the idea. There have been games in the past where having a test bed early on would have helped them. Or the design team was slowing down the programmers because project managers were waiting on both pieces of a puzzle to be ready.

Well, those of you who have will have access to the VoxElyria, Enjoy! And help the designers make what is best for us all. I only have Alpha II access. So I won't get to play in that sandbox.

Not right away but everyone eventually will be let in to VoxElyria for testing based on testing rank. So alpha 1 then 2 the beta 1 then 2 etc

Eventually everyone with a pledge will be able to access vox Elyria

3/13/2018 1:33:43 AM #7

Waits

I feel like I've been desperately ready to log in for the past year and a half. Remind me not to get excited about brand new game concepts in the future, y'all.

3/13/2018 3:12:31 AM #8

Posted By Stealthwire at 6:33 PM - Mon Mar 12 2018

Waits

I feel like I've been desperately ready to log in for the past year and a half. Remind me not to get excited about brand new game concepts in the future, y'all.

It's impossible not to get excited. You have to distract yourself with something that you can get right away, to get over the excitement.

3/13/2018 4:52:26 AM #9

Posted By Poldano at 11:12 PM - Mon Mar 12 2018

Posted By Stealthwire at 6:33 PM - Mon Mar 12 2018

Waits

It's impossible not to get excited. You have to distract yourself with something that you can get right away, to get over the excitement.

z.z I know!!! I have been sifting through the forums like mad these past couple days going... Aaaaaaaaaa I want to play this NOW!!!

I have been traveling this past week so I don't have anything to distract me from it. Though when I get home I will start preparing to run my Barony by playing some Crusader Kings 2. Perhaps that will satisfy this itch a bit.

Moonhaven