COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Animal Crossing Breeding

Since I've seen that players can have children, and despite if they are different races, the child can take on traits of both players.

My question then is is it possible to do the same with animals?

Say, two different breeds of horses? Therefore giving the horses traits of both?

Orm Trakehner - Horse Breeder - Kingdom of Vornair: Friend Code 5422AC

3/13/2018 4:53:34 PM #1

Yes, however; genetics isn't so cut and dry.

It is likely that the progeny will have diluted strengths and diluted weaknesses of both.

The genetics system has been represented as functionally close to basic Darwinian, though their are some abstractions and limitations.

3/13/2018 4:57:57 PM #2

Posted By Kyxsune at 12:53 PM - Tue Mar 13 2018

Yes, however; genetics isn't so cut and dry.

It is likely that the progeny will have diluted strengths and diluted weaknesses of both.

The genetics system has been represented as functionally close to basic Darwinian, though their are some abstractions and limitations.

Nice. So hopefully we will have a lot of diversity in looks, etc.

3/13/2018 5:05:14 PM #3

Probably, and some of it will be more than simply cosmetic.

Take the recently announced Foxcelot as an example. It will have a variant for surviving in each biome, with some different genetic traits to make this biomes hospitable. The example given for northern was a thicker coat, and lighter coloration.

3/13/2018 5:10:30 PM #4

Posted By Nino76 at

Since I've seen that players can have children, and despite if they are different races, the child can take on traits of both players.

My question then is is it possible to do the same with animals?

Say, two different breeds of horses? Therefore giving the horses traits of both?

I cannot remember where I read it, but I believe I saw an official post that mentioned creating mules via breeding a horse with a donkey.

With that, it is reasonable to assume that other mixed breeds are also possible; given that they are compatible in nature.

3/13/2018 5:23:11 PM #5

Given the number of hybrids already present in elyria, I can't say if they arise naturally or are their own species.

Though I would assume their are other hybrids like the donkey that exist.

3/13/2018 5:50:17 PM #6

I'm hoping to breed a unique breed of hound. Maybe a mix of different species so that whilst it may not be a dog (since I'm not 100% dogs are in the game) it will be some sort of war/pack animal.

3/13/2018 6:12:37 PM #7

Posted By Sir_Skylos at 1:50 PM - Tue Mar 13 2018

I'm hoping to breed a unique breed of hound. Maybe a mix of different species so that whilst it may not be a dog (since I'm not 100% dogs are in the game) it will be some sort of war/pack animal.

Really... If this kind of stuff is in game, the possibilities could be nearly endless.

3/13/2018 6:29:19 PM #8

Posted By Sir_Skylos at 12:50 PM - Tue Mar 13 2018

And so the Cerberus was born ... :D

3/19/2018 6:14:55 PM #9

I'm more interested in the idea of breeding for purpose. Cross breeding is cool, but the idea of doing it the old fashioned way and breeding for speed/strength/aggression sounds really cool. Spending generations breeding horses to be the fastest in the land, or the hardiest, or the greatest beasts of burden kind of thing.

3/19/2018 8:09:04 PM #10

I like this idea - breeding animals or plants or trees lends itself to a long-term view of the world and lessens the ugliness that arises with slash and burn visits by less devoted PCs

A forested billabong, with nary a jumbuck