COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Missing Story Arcs

Something that strikes me as odd about one of the “Design Pillars of Chronicles of Elyria” is the lack of official examples regarding “Story Arcs”.

Under Story and Event Driven is the passage “Our story engine is controlled by artificial intelligence and will constantly monitor the state of the world to create opportunities. Actions such as killing another character, amassing too much wealth, and getting lost in the desert brings the A.I. to life, causing it to spin intricate story arcs specific to you. Thus players experience a unique and compelling quest system personalized to their story which follows them wherever they go.”

Now that sounds awesome but it never says what the A.I is going to do to you. I get that this is still very early on but for being one of the Pillars of the game I would hope to see an example somewhere of what they speak of. Will they be copies of other players arcs that have the same triggers? Are we talking about spawning in new NPC to be actors in my personal arc or does it try to use NPC that already exist in the game? Can other players interfere in my arc or does it use other players too, who knows. I was asked by a friend for an example because this peaked his interest but I literally had to say I had no idea, which majorly turned him off to CoE due to feeling like there was no substance behind such a wild idea.

Maybe in the several weeks of looking I have over looked an official example (which is a failure in its own regards) but from what I can gather this has not been elaborated on.

So my question is, officially, what is an example of the Story Arc and what it is going to do to the player?

3/16/2018 9:51:28 AM #1

You wouldn't want the entire story given away before you even got to experience it, would you? Though, to be honest, I kinda expect there might be a video related to that emergent gameplay far in the future, showing at least one series of branched alternative paths that could be presented, or a set of triggers leading to different outcomes based on a set of long preexisting factors, whatever they may be. Anyhow, it's the kind of stuff that story developers tend to keep tightly sealed up for as long as possible. We've got 10 years worth of story to live through, and we wouldn't want tens of thousands of players to have a lesser experience with a questline that's served up to them by having had it already spoiled with the details revealed previously. COE is meant to be a unique experience where we're generally to perceive we're the sole entity involved in a quest or story that has occurred.

3/16/2018 10:21:35 AM #2

I am not asking for an entire arc, i'm asking for a single example to explain one of the "Pillars" to the entire game. I don't think its to much to ask for them to explain one of the foundation concepts. Even if its just an example from an official source, something that might not even end up in the game.

3/16/2018 1:07:03 PM #3

In Chronicles of Elyria the story evolves depending on the actions taken by the players. The engine will also control the distribution of Talents to those who may become integral to the story. The Soulborn Engine will also present players with choices and scenarios based upon their affinity and decisions.

One simple example on how the Soulborn Engine plans to work in relation to NPC memory:

As a player, if your actions in the presence of an NPC doesn't jive with their personality or motivations, that's going to impact how they respond to you. That alone drives all sorts of potentially subtle, but important, real-time fluctuations in the world that change the narrative. NPCs that avoid you could steamroll into things like "no one buys my pies anymore" really quickly because of the way the game handles NPC memory and motivations. If the insult is large enough, this reaction from the NPC could have a snowball effect where more and more NPCs start to dislike you.[2]

Source

The above is likely the best you will get. The engine is designed to develop dynamic content based on player actions. If you kill off all the bunnies in an area the wolves who once fed on them could come in closer to towns and attack people or livestock seeking food. Or if someone becomes a lich the engine will drive them toward attacking players and doing evil things. That is the gist as I understand it of the soulborn engine.

There is an underlying story related to the virtues and vices who whisper in mortal ears and drive the players toward one alignment or the other. That story if complete likely won’t be released in any form since it would spoil the story.

3/16/2018 1:53:34 PM #4

This is a good question, but the answer really is that pretty much anything is possible (ie. use your imagination) and constrained by whatever SBS ultimately chooses to design, which hasn't happened yet so far as we can tell.

FWIW, I think it's unlikely that for a small studio we'll see anything resembling a "sentient AI" that can invent things on its own, but more along the lines of an AI that chooses from sets of predetermined possibilities: [X actions] <=> [Y consequences].

p.s. This probably also doesn't exclude the possibility that SBS developers (or game masters?) will introduce things into the game as we go based on player actions.