COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Corrupted Blood Incident

Since there will be diseases, does anyone who remembers, think a scenario similar to the Corrupted Blood Incident could happen? Maybe not as extreme but same mindset where some people will abandon major populations to avoid infection, some will try to help, and others will be going purposefully infecting everyone they can.

3/16/2018 6:16:40 PM #1

I would only like to see something that bad tied to a story event. I don't mind players being able to get a town sick by doing something to their food but I don't think we should have the power to effect a large scale..

3/16/2018 9:50:54 PM #2

If we were going for full realism I'd say outbreaks of various diseases should be extremely common and not necessarily tied to story events.

However, this is one issue where I'd side /against/ the realism camp. A realistic depiction of disease and infection would simply make much of the game too hazardous to actually play. In this case I don't mind disease being modeled to a certain extent, but nothing on plague levels unless it's tied to story events.

3/16/2018 10:31:02 PM #3

Maybe have a reason to level up survival skills and research hygiene eh?

3/16/2018 10:56:58 PM #4

-

3/16/2018 11:09:43 PM #5

Posted By Barleyman at 05:50 AM - Sat Mar 17 2018

If we were going for full realism I'd say outbreaks of various diseases should be extremely common and not necessarily tied to story events.

However, this is one issue where I'd side /against/ the realism camp. A realistic depiction of disease and infection would simply make much of the game too hazardous to actually play. In this case I don't mind disease being modeled to a certain extent, but nothing on plague levels unless it's tied to story events.

I'm actually hoping for the opposite. I would love to see a semi-realistic health and disease mechanic, which is why I am working on my post The Simplified Elyria Medica; however, i'd be happy to treatment/prevention to be easier than reality and slightly on the fantasy side

3/17/2018 1:35:19 AM #6

I would hope such things can happen. Not sure if I want to such an extreme level that capitals cities would be basically shut down. The only one downside I see from such an event, every NPC within the affect zone is fucked. Which really makes it a nice somewhat easy way to wipe the area of them.

3/17/2018 5:17:04 AM #7

A realistic ending to such a plague is the mutation of the disease organism into a more benign form. This can happen in CoE, but could not happen in WoW.

Also, I would hope that CoE would have variable rates of susceptibility across the populations, without specific favoritism toward experienced combatants. Lack of character levels will help a lot, since except for specific tribal resistances, there will be no exceptionally resistant individuals.

If such an event happened in CoE, I would expect players to behave very similarly to the way players behaved in WoW.Posted By Johan Housel at 3:56 PM - Fri Mar 16 2018

... Primarily we're concerned with the Dras and our customs processing gate includes the Center for Dras Control where we process and do medical checks; that section of the city is also where the Dras will primarily take residency in the city and offer their specialized goods and services as well as staff the processing point for the 'riskier' visitors.

There is no clear evidence yet that Dras will be disease carriers, but this is a wise precaution. Even if Dras turn out not to be disease carriers, the precautions are a good spin on plausible beliefs of non-Dras citizens.

3/17/2018 4:09:59 PM #8

such a mechanic would favor the dras tribes who could then use it as a crippling weapon. I think it is very unlikely that such will come into being as it has such potential to break the balance of things