COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Is your surname Elyrian?

I'm curious because I see a lot of people complaining/making fun of the surname generator.

The generator for the Kypiq surnames reminded me of Tarutaru or Mithra names from Final Fantasy XI with added silent 'h's and stuff. Examples: http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Mithra_NPCs

What I did before I chose my surname is I kept randomizing the name until I had a good grasp of a Kypiq name and then I modified my already-decided-on surname to match Elryian spelling.

Honestly I don't think the names will be difficult to pronounce like people are saying. You'll eventually train your brain. If anyone's played FFXI they know the names in that game were strange but not difficult. I started playing it when I was 11 though and so maybe my kid brain was just malleable but I got used to all the strange spellings pretty quickly.

Also, I don't mind revealing my surname because I'm not a king or anything, I don't think people would care about little ol' me in Elyria. I chose the name Yevahd. It's a modified spelling of Yevaud, (lol SO modified) which is a dragon in one of the books from The Earthsea Trilogy by Ursula K. Leguin. I liked the dichotomy of choosing a name from a powerful, ancient, terrifying dragon to be used on the smallest and most underestimated tribe in Elyria.

TL;DR Anyone else choose an Elyrian surname?

Kypiq proprietor - Weaver/Tailor/Designer - Broad Leaf Forest

3/16/2018 10:32:07 PM #1

I wouldn't say my name is quite Elyrian but it might still fit in. I choose Ferrarius. Which is Latin for blacksmithing which I plan to do as a profession.

3/16/2018 10:47:45 PM #2

My name is not currently Elyrian. I’m the head of House Malais. However since I will be taking part in Alpha, Beta, and VoxElyria from the start my surname will be woven into the tapestry that is the history of Elyria.

So by the time the game actually launches my surname will be Elyrian.

3/16/2018 10:55:51 PM #3

Posted By Malais at 3:47 PM - Fri Mar 16 2018

My name is not currently Elyrian. I’m the head of House Malais. However since I will be taking part in Alpha, Beta, and VoxElyria from the start my surname will be woven into the tapestry that is the history of Elyria.

As will mine, since I will be a part of VoxElryia, Alpha, and Beta. The question being though, if the spelling of your name is a traditional Elyrian spelling or similar to, with examples given from the Surname Generator.

So i take it, Malais is not an attempted traditional Elyrian name?

Kypiq proprietor - Weaver/Tailor/Designer - Broad Leaf Forest

3/16/2018 11:03:30 PM #4

I went through the generator quite a bit just to get a sense of the cultures of the tribes presented, though I ended up currently sticking with my own surname which also works for Neran. There is a likelihood in which To'resk might be the direction my people n' I go, and we'd have to seriously consider alternative names. On another character I went with a surname that was less about family and more about emotional theme. In the future, if continuing a different family line, I'd definitely aim more specifically towards lore probably, if not entering another family alleviating me of choice.

3/16/2018 11:10:13 PM #5

Nope, I chose my traditional family name in old English.

3/17/2018 12:02:43 AM #6

I picked Khovi because it's an old name I've used for a character for many years. It's not generated, but I think it fits well! :D

3/17/2018 12:09:32 AM #7

I thought the surname generator was really fun once I got to play with it! The Brudvir and Neran names were my favorites, resonated very well with me.

The name I chose could fit in with the tribe I'm going for, Neran. But it's a name I have used many times through my life in various games, like many here also do. It fits me like a comfortable glove.

I should change my banner some day to reflect it.

3/17/2018 12:17:51 AM #8

Personally, I've always leaned towards short, easy to spell and pronounce names. To an extent this has been due to my poor, and slow typing skills,...

However, I have to admit I'm getting "sucked in" to immersion of the Scandinavian/Germanic Brudvir names.

For this reason I've really changed direction with my naming plans, and I've created a short list, (that still has way too many names on it,..), that I'll choose from when I get my Bloodline pack.

As a poor typer, will there be a nickname mechanic in game? I'd hate to have a family member who chooses a fifteen letter, five syllable name, that only contain one vowel , if I had to regularly spell it out.

In games I've played in the past this was overcome with targeting and a keyboard shortcut to type a name. Just wondering if there will be shortcuts in CoE when needing to identify other people?

Grizzly "The Ogre" Beralindwurm

From the Brudvir Den of Vargviken - E3FA4E

3/17/2018 1:24:23 AM #9

Speaking of which, 'Elyrian', as a name, is still available on Angelica (NA-W), Luna (NA-E), Selene (EU), Oceanus (OCE).

Count Einzbern of Aichhalt.

Kingdom of Ashland.

Duchy of Sanctaphandri.

Seated in Darmindatch.

3/17/2018 2:01:23 AM #10

Nope, mine is distinctly french tho my second choice might have fit one of the tribes.

3/17/2018 3:00:01 AM #11

Mine...pending approval of course--is based of my real family surname that ends in mann. So I loped that off, kept the rest--which translates to deer in german--and then modified it a little to fit the tribe I was looking at. I would assume the translation would now roughly be the house of "the deer."

So I would say that my name is both Elyrian and nonElyrian in origin.

May The House of Al-Reh live long and prosper.

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

3/17/2018 3:03:01 AM #12

Nope. Used a name I’ve been gaming with for years (at least when a game needs a last name).

Kip from Fist of the Empire

Friend code: 72EC67

3/17/2018 3:56:13 AM #13

I tried the surname that I have used for years, but I believe it was rejected because it contained "Mann" in it.

~~Dakanti~~

3/17/2018 5:24:32 AM #14

Posted By Malais at 3:47 PM - Fri Mar 16 2018

I thought "malais" was French for "sickness". As such it would be a universal name. Upon checking, it's French for "Malay", which is not universal. I was confusing it with "malaise", which is French for "discomfort". That could be a universal name, at least in the sense that there is likely to be a translation into any language.

3/17/2018 6:07:02 AM #15

I eventually went with a descriptive latin word as I prefer to know the meaning of my names but still not make it too obviousor compleatly ruin immersion.

Generated names could have been alright or I could have made a unique one myself but I did not get any connection with any of them and they might spell out something silly or inappropriate in the tribes tongue for all I know so meh.. if I am not in on the joke it is no fun.