COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Concerned!

I have been watching lots of Youtube lately and i keep stumbling on videos that are created by so called SJW groups. You guys can already see where i am going with this....

I want CoE to be a success. I want it to have lots and lots of players. But since it is fantasy driven, i am afraid it will be put between hammer and anvil by SJW groups. Just like it is happening now with some new game that has recently came out.

That game is bashed by popular media outlets just because it is historical correct, which means, there are no black characters in game, there are no gays or any other characters that SJW want to force into game.

Now what i am asking is: since is undoubtedly only a matter of time before SJW start looking into CoE and forcing their views onto our beloved game will SBS stay true to their game vision or will it succumb to SJW?

3/17/2018 8:04:45 PM #1

You're doubtless referring to Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

For CoE, what exactly are you concerned about? This game isn't based on RL, it doesn't claim 'historical accuracy' by any means. There are same sex marriages supported already, as well as a variety of skin colors across the tribes of Mann.

If a couple "journalists" have negative opinions on this game or any game, guess what. They already do. SBS doesn't seem to be in the habit of cowing under the pressure of a couple negative blog-ish articles.

Maybe I'm just taking the troll-bait here.

3/17/2018 8:05:09 PM #2

I can understand the concern with developers of games being pressured or sometimes forced to change their vision of a game because of various groups who look only at wedge or special interest issues but I think the direction / tone you've gone in voicing this concern is one that typically begets defensive reaction and aggressive wording in return.

I hope everyone who speaks further in this thread can recognize that inflammatory language such as calling a group cancer isn't necessary to argue a point and in fact only makes one's argument less likely to create the effect they desire, i.e. convincing others to support their position and so on.

That all being said I do not think this is something you will need to worry about for Chronicles of Elyria Tonchek. This is already a game where multiple times the developers have been demanded to compromise their vision whether by the overall industry which says such an MMO isn't possible, by groups who say X and Y needs to be added for it to be profitable, or from gamers who have demanded things be changed. Through it all the developers have shown they're willing to change but only insofar as said change helps bring their vision of the game to life, not in a way that compromises what their passion in Chronicles of Elyria is.

3/17/2018 8:07:09 PM #3

No, no troll bait here. I am geniualy concerned about that stuff. They have too much power....

Ok i took that out.. but i mean it....

3/17/2018 8:08:53 PM #4

I've never really understood why saying someone is fighting for social justice is a form of insult.

Any way regardless of your views CoE seems to already allow people to be what they want. You can marry people of the same sex for example.

I'm not really sure what you are worried will be ruined. Maybe it's your perceptions being challenged your worried about?

One last thing to note. Having had friends and family suffer with cancer and one of our kingdom members sadly passing after a long battle with cancer I find that using it as an insult of people with different views to you as, well, insulting.

Edit: thank you for removing the reference to cancer. I'll leave my point about it for others as I think it's something worthwhile everyone remembering.

3/17/2018 8:21:53 PM #5

Posted By Tonchek

Now what i am asking is: since is undoubtedly only a matter of time before SJW start looking into CoE and forcing their views onto our beloved game will SBS stay true to their game vision or will it succumb to SJW?

Very broad but legitimate question. Any specific concerns? It is true that there is a lot of divisiveness and wars of ideas these days. This being a fantasy game set in an alternate universe, there is no need to push for historical accuracy. As far as I know, the team is making an apolitical game that is inclusive to people from all walks of life, and staying true to their vision. There is no need to worry on that front here.

3/17/2018 8:26:17 PM #6

I only wish that SBS can stay true to their vision and not be forced into something others feel must be in game..

3/17/2018 8:31:12 PM #7

Posted By Tonchek at 4:26 PM - Sat Mar 17 2018

I only wish that SBS can stay true to their vision and not be forced into something others feel must be in game..

I certainly agree with that sentiment as do the others here I think :) I don't think we have anything to worry on that front at this time.

3/17/2018 8:54:12 PM #8

Posted By Tonchek at 1:26 PM - Sat Mar 17 2018

Worry no more. I believe that is exactly they way SbS intends to go forward.

I am afraid you are too late. People fighting for social justice are already interested in this game, but lucky enough for us there are no elements of this game that attempt to reinforce or glorify harmful real-world stereotypes. Indeed, I believe one element of the studio's core intent is to create a world of immersive depth and versimilitude. A word where dramatic justice and injustice can exist as driven by player's choices and actions. And none of this should be impinged by a diversity of real-life background and beliefs. Rather I think it will be enhanced by that diversity.

As a final note, I want to highlight this paragraph from the terms of use for this website:

"Soulbound Studios and its Services shall be free of discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, nationality, and sexual identity, and conduct not consistent with the same, including language that is obscene, threatening, bullying, sexually threatening, or invades the personal privacy of any user is a violation of the Code of Conduct."

That right there is Social Justice at work. Not sure why anyone would consider the above expressed ideal to be a threat to anybody.

3/17/2018 9:00:45 PM #9

Posted By Tonchek at

That game is bashed by popular media outlets just because it is historical correct, which means, there are no black characters in game, there are no gays or any other characters that SJW want to force into game.

I forgot about the creation of dark skinned people and homosexuals in a lab about 50 years ago ...
I forgot that the Northern parts of Africa that Rome conquered and the Western portions that Alexander took were all populated entirely by caucasians ... I also forgot that Homosexuality is a brand new thing that didn't exist in ancient Greece, or India, or China ...

SbS has stated their reasons for the way things are (and I agree), but even if they do change something like allowing child contracts between same sex partners - so what? How will it really affect gameplay?

3/17/2018 9:05:48 PM #10

As others have said, I'm not sure what you are worried about. The game is set in a fantasy world filled with a diverse set of races, from many different backgrounds.

Homosexuality is a common aspect of ancient human culture, and so it rightly plays a part in CoE. Players are able to marry within their own sex, so if anything the game is more progressive than many other games within the genre.

Ultimately the game isn't for critics. It's for the game experience the genre is missing. I struggle to understand why the game would come across as controversial, however if it does so it does it out of freedom of choice, the very thing the game was built upon and that's ok.

Friend Code: F44A07

3/17/2018 9:20:49 PM #11

Well I'm sure I know what's he's worried about.

Remember that post where someone wanted same sex reproduction possible because "it's fantasy and would be inclusive and empathy and all that..."

Thankfully Caspian did not give in to that.

That is what he's worried about.

3/17/2018 9:35:14 PM #12

CDG the SJW FTW!

Told this to someone complaining about something years ago in another game. "DGAF unless it drops loot. Does your BS pity-party drama drop loot?"

I've always had a rule in my guilds/clans/companies/etc: Do not expect the rest of us to deal with the problems your choices create. We play to have fun and get away, not listen to you complain about your coffee offending you because the cup was the wrong shade of STFU.

Welcome to CoE. This is not the real world, leave your issues at the log-in screen, and go play.

Friend Code: B1DD85 NA-W Neran, beyond that not sure what I'm going to be when I grow up.

3/17/2018 9:56:46 PM #13

Posted By Tonchek at

I have been watching lots of Youtube lately and i keep stumbling on videos that are created by so called SJW groups. You guys can already see where i am going with this....

I want CoE to be a success. I want it to have lots and lots of players. But since it is fantasy driven, i am afraid it will be put between hammer and anvil by SJW groups. Just like it is happening now with some new game that has recently came out.

This has already come up at points - and the TLDR is relax, Vye is not going to let anyone drop the ball.

This game also has people of difference here, already, in the community. SBS listens to them as it listens to the rest of its community too. There are also superb moderators here as well.

Critically, SBS know what game they want to make, and they will change things only when it will make their game better. I still want vampiric unicorns in the game, but no matter how hard I wish or what I might say, SBS will only add them if they want to add them because it fits with their vision of the game - and so it will be for other things. Make no mistake, Caspian and Co are entirely capable of saying "no" to anything that does not fit with their vision of the game.

Link to my story

3/17/2018 10:17:14 PM #14

"Now what i am asking is: since is undoubtedly only a matter of time before SJW start looking into CoE and forcing their views onto our beloved game will SBS stay true to their game vision or will it succumb to SJW?"

They've already tried. There's a very long thread here where people want same sex marriages to be able to have biological children. They used the fantasy mark to argue that we didnt need to reflect reality and we should remedy this grave injustice.

There was some other stuff too on a few other threads, but they got shut down.

Politics is weird these days. People feel entitled to force their views onto other people because society is currently in denial over some very basic stuff.

I'm not saying being gay, being trans, being whatever you want to be is wrong. Be that thing if that's how you want to live your life. You dont need my approval, and I dont need to give it, because that's your business. It's not mine.

What I am saying is, at some point we have to accept that the reason why we have to force social change and demand approval and validation is because these things are not in fact the usual.

If we are intending to create a familiar, recognizable environment, then we need to go with familiar and recognizable.

To use an example: Ryzom is a wonderful product, the game is truly fantastic, but they strayed too far from the norm and failed to capture an audience.

EverQuest and World of Warcraft succeeded because they based themselves on familiar, traditional models.

For the developers it's a choice, and it seems to me that the choice is obvious. They've gone with human type playable characters, and as such they will have traits that are more or less familiar to actual humans.

3/18/2018 2:20:30 AM #15

Caspian and the whole team at SBS doesn't seem the type of cave in on random ideas that just won't work with the game design. Somethings have been changed within the game, with all of them making sense. So really not sure what you are worried about.