COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
Need help making a Norse Surname

So I'm attempting to create a good Surname that is in the Old Norse language if not a more modern Norse. However I've searched through google and the internet with little to almost no success at finding a good translator, encyclopedia or some good decent listing other than this here.

I've been using some Skyrim listing for some of those names as all the human npc's have norse names. I'd like to know what some people who have already created their surname used to help with translation as id like to have it typed out in the original language or if its a bit crazy in Norwegian or Swedish. Share your knowledge as for me this is like the hardest thing in a rpg game is coming up with a fitting name.

Friend code: 64E963

3/31/2018 6:51:13 AM #1

I went through the same thing. I usually pick fairly simple names, never more than two syllables, but the Brudvir really sparked my interest in getting a Skandinavian sounding surname Took me a month, and still had a bunch of options, but finally settled on one now. I basically just typed words into google translate mostly, although I did find a couple other sites (there's one for naming huskies that was daily helpful) I used German, Danish, Dutch, Icelandic, Finnish, and Inuit as the main languages I translated.

I wanted Some sort of bear type name, so looked up bear in all of these languages Then I looked up words like old, bald, bearded, blind, shadow, ocean, southern, Ogre, dragon etc etc,... Would of had hundreds of names to start with, got it down to about 30 I really liked. In the end I just picked the one I remembered the most. (Though Skeggidlindwurm was a close second, and probably would have made it if a bit shorter)

Grizzly "The Ogre" Beralindwurm

From the Brudvir Den of Vargviken - E3FA4E

3/31/2018 7:24:35 AM #2

Do you have any idea what you want your name to mean in english ?

3/31/2018 7:30:47 AM #3

Posted By Loop at 03:24 AM - Sat Mar 31 2018

Do you have any idea what you want your name to mean in english ?

I have a basis to it relating to shadows, darkness and grim.

3/31/2018 7:59:44 AM #4

Sinulf Agiwulf Nottulf Gunnulf Nattfari

3/31/2018 8:08:07 AM #5

Posted By Gunghoe at 03:59 AM - Sat Mar 31 2018

Sinulf Agiwulf Nottulf Gunnulf Nattfari

Where did you get those from cause i cant find any kind of translation for them anywhere

3/31/2018 9:03:31 AM #6

Here is a nice video on the subject.

EDIT: And One more

EDIT: Here is a list of names

3/31/2018 9:07:10 AM #7

Náttargríma (Night Mask)

Skuggagríma (Shadow Mask)

Náttarúlvur (Night Wolf)

These are all in Faroese, one of five languages descended from Old West Norse spoken in the Middle ages.

3/31/2018 9:23:53 AM #8

Here's a little online old Norse dictionary. I've used similar ones in the past to make character names. Pick two words that you'd use to describe yourself and make a new word. It doesn't have to be exact, so long as you know the meaning.

3/31/2018 9:45:11 AM #9

Since you put Grim in there why not use that as a base for nice name.

Grim is Old Norse name used for Oden when he walked among people on this world. The name Grim (very uncommon) is still in use here in Scandinavia today.

Gríma is old norse and means night.

So the name Grim can have several meanings, hidden, cloaked, disguised and so on.

I can’t seem to find a good Old Norse name for shadow, im sure there is one I just can’t find it right now, you could use the current Nordic words for it Skugga (Swedish), Skugge (Norwegian & Danish), Skuggi (Icelandic)

Darkness in Old Norse is Myrkr, it has transformed in to the current Mörker (Swedish), Mørke (Norwegian & Danish) or Myrkur (Icelandic)

The words Ulf, Ulv, Ulfr or similar spellings, that are common in fantasy games as Nordic names, all relates to Wolf.

Eld or Eldr means fire, sverð, sværd, sverd or svärd means sword (so you see where the English word for it came from)

So some ideas of names and there meaning

Grimskuggi ( Hidden/disguised shadow)

Grimulf (Hidden/disguised Wolf)

Grímsverð (Night sword)

Eldmyrkur (Fire of darkness)

Skuggulfr (Shadow wolf)

When you put two words together and the first one ends with a wovel, it is normal to remove the wovel.

This will give you a Nordic sounding name that is a mix of Old Norse and current Nordic languages. When I made my surname I did the following

Ulv (old Swedish or current Norwegian word for wolf)

Add “en” to the end to make it “The Wolf”

Add Skald which is a Norse word for Poet.

-Ulvenskald- which should mean Poet of the Wolf, now while that word do not really exist in any Nordic language most people living here would translate it correctly. (I plan on playing Brudvir)

I hope this helps a bit in making your name.

PS: I am Swedish so my knowledge in other Nordic languages is somewhat lacking, if I made any mistakes I would appreciate if someone could correct me.

3/31/2018 9:55:17 AM #10

On another game I used "Heilung" as Surname because I was a support role Healer. If you want you can use it.

3/31/2018 10:00:30 AM #11

http://broethr.wikia.com/wiki/NorseMaleNames

Governor of Fararo, In service to Duchess Hela and Duke Nimb Zephyr of The Anemoi and their TRM King Evelake Rhyne and Queen Lagertha Rhyne of Vornair. Join the Dance of Destiny because 'Winter is Coming.' Friend code: 3F53D0

3/31/2018 12:39:54 PM #12

Posted By SgtShadoWolf at 04:08 AM - Sat Mar 31 2018

Posted By Gunghoe at 03:59 AM - Sat Mar 31 2018

Sinulf (Sinew wolf) Agiwulf (Terror wolf) Nottulf (Night wolf) Gunnulf (Battle wolf) Nattfari (Night wolf)

Where did you get those from cause i cant find any kind of translation for them anywhere

Translated for you, I should have done that before.

3/31/2018 1:47:50 PM #13

Grimvarg

ShadowWolf - just like your forum handle

4/1/2018 2:59:37 AM #14

Posted By Dleatherus at 09:47 AM - Sat Mar 31 2018

Grimvarg

ShadowWolf - just like your forum handle

Wait what language is that?