COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
Submitting Our Own Lore

Hello folks!

I am in love with reading the lore of the Tribes and had an idea: what if players could submit lore of their own? (i.e. fauna & flora, foods, items, traditions, etc)

Obviously, these would have to be assessed by Soulbound and I understand that they are extremely busy trying to bring this amazing game to fruition, so this could possibly be something to keep in mind for the future.

I think it could be a way for players to feel even more connected to the world and their surroundings when in-game and could help to expand creativity further.

Please give me some feedback on how this could work and what your opinions are. You could even show me some of the lore you've thought of yourself!

~ Alyvs Trésdaum

4/18/2018 5:39:02 PM #1

Well, that could be a bit problematic as there are a number of lore design experiences which some players already have which they paid to have.

I think it would be a good idea for SBS to use this as a source of funding and start selling design experiences specifically targeting the lore.

Based on lore IRL there should be no shortage of potential topics and details for players to create, but SBS really should sell these opportunities rather than just creating work for themselves by opening it up to the entire community to submit their garbage. No offense to anyone, but most of the stuff the community is likely to submit (if it isn't outright mutually exclusive) will probably be bad.

4/18/2018 5:45:06 PM #2

The design experiences that you could purchase was something they offered. At the same time we don't need SBS to do this, we can do it ourselves. When the games out Sbs wants you to be able to design your own clothes, armor, weapons, and change the genetics of plants ( ie make black roses). With a little work we can make our own lore.

4/18/2018 5:57:05 PM #3

If you look through fan media there is plenty of player created lore, I myself love creating fauna... these however obviously are not official and only those with specific design experience are able to influence the lore...but should sbs need some community inspiration, the fan art forum section is there

4/18/2018 6:13:23 PM #4

Posted By Barleyman at 6:39 PM - Wed Apr 18 2018

Well, that could be a bit problematic as there are a number of lore design experiences which some players already have which they paid to have.

I think it would be a good idea for SBS to use this as a source of funding and start selling design experiences specifically targeting the lore.

Based on lore IRL there should be no shortage of potential topics and details for players to create, but SBS really should sell these opportunities rather than just creating work for themselves by opening it up to the entire community to submit their garbage. No offense to anyone, but most of the stuff the community is likely to submit (if it isn't outright mutually exclusive) will probably be bad.

I am aware that there are paid opportunities for lore and you are right, Soulbound needs all the funding they can get. What I was suggesting was a more open way to engage the community. Possibly paying for a lifetime role where you can group up with others to make official lore? It could work similar to pledges.

Posted By Deftly at 6:45 PM - Wed Apr 18 2018

The design experiences that you could purchase was something they offered. At the same time we don't need SBS to do this, we can do it ourselves. When the games out Sbs wants you to be able to design your own clothes, armor, weapons, and change the genetics of plants ( ie make black roses). With a little work we can make our own lore.

Yes, we can do it ourselves and I imagine, if it is good, that the lore we create in-game will be noticed by Soulbound and will be transferred onto the website for people to read and study. I really want a place where lore is available to read!

Posted By LapisRazuri at 6:57 PM - Wed Apr 18 2018

If you look through fan media there is plenty of player created lore, I myself love creating fauna... these however obviously are not official and only those with specific design experience are able to influence the lore...but should sbs need some community inspiration, the fan art forum section is there

I agree with you. They are not official and, as I stated in replying to Deftly above, I would love to have a place to be able to read the lore or offer ways to improve it.

Thanks for the feedback.

~ Alyvs Trésdaum

4/18/2018 6:28:11 PM #5

Oh, I see what you mean. I don't think they may want that because that can be spoilers for people who haven't found that yet. If the NA-W randomly discovers something new and then tells everyone. That ruins the discovery for everyone else. Finding and studying at least in my opinion should remain on the server and in the game share via game mechanics like books, schools, etc.

4/18/2018 6:43:45 PM #6

Posted By Deftly at 7:28 PM - Wed Apr 18 2018

Oh, I see what you mean. I don't think they may want that because that can be spoilers for people who haven't found that yet. If the NA-W randomly discovers something new and then tells everyone. That ruins the discovery for everyone else. Finding and studying at least in my opinion should remain on the server and in the game share via game mechanics like books, schools, etc.

Obviously not ruining spoilers - such as when we find the hidden tribes, but when players create books (as you said) have them available on the website.

I see exactly what you mean. In order to immerse the player, they should read books in-game and in-character and I agree. But when it is about small things like fauna & flora, I think it'd be interesting for there to be easily accessible lore for players to read, which could also aid them in creating their own lore for families/kingdoms/guilds etc.

~ Alyvs Trésdaum

4/18/2018 7:18:35 PM #7

I personally do not think players should be creating the world. What you describe as 'lore' seems more like creating actual content. Creating flora and fauna have a lot more too them just story they have to have a place in the ecosystems of Elyria, they have to have a real presence and that is purely a Design Experience.

If you want to great story that is official then I think you need to get in game and live. Make that story through your actions or recording the actions of others. It will be official then, because it is really in the game.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

4/18/2018 7:41:09 PM #8

Posted By VictoriaRachel at 8:18 PM - Wed Apr 18 2018

I personally do not think players should be creating the world. What you describe as 'lore' seems more like creating actual content. Creating flora and fauna have a lot more too them just story they have to have a place in the ecosystems of Elyria, they have to have a real presence and that is purely a Design Experience.

If you want to great story that is official then I think you need to get in game and live. Make that story through your actions or recording the actions of others. It will be official then, because it is really in the game.

I see what you're trying to say, but this is not what I meant. I want to live in the world of Elyria and for people to create their own lore, but for it to become official over time.

As Deftly said, we can create our own plants through breeding them with one another, just like we will be able to with animals and even tribes. With these things, lore would be a fundamental way to immerse the player and for the world to progress.

In terms of what I mean by 'official' - for it to be added to the website for people to read. As this game has a 10 year age span, I would really like to keep its legacy alive. Furthermore, for lore to be more available would give players the chance to be more creative - they'd be able to access the lore without having to go in-game. You don't have to look at the lore if you don't want to, but I think it should be available for those that do.

Thank you for your feedback!

~ Alyvs Trésdaum

4/18/2018 8:15:16 PM #9

Posted By JustAGamingZebra at 2:41 PM - Wed Apr 18 2018

Posted By VictoriaRachel at 8:18 PM - Wed Apr 18 2018

I see what you're trying to say, but this is not what I meant. I want to live in the world of Elyria and for people to create their own lore, but for it to become official over time.

As Deftly said, we can create our own plants through breeding them with one another, just like we will be able to with animals and even tribes. With these things, lore would be a fundamental way to immerse the player and for the world to progress.

In terms of what I mean by 'official' - for it to be added to the website for people to read. As this game has a 10 year age span, I would really like to keep its legacy alive. Furthermore, for lore to be more available would give players the chance to be more creative - they'd be able to access the lore without having to go in-game. You don't have to look at the lore if you don't want to, but I think it should be available for those that do.

Thank you for your feedback!

A couple of things about how CoE works and how having lore and such out side of the “official” preplayer involvment wouldn’t work.

-1. Names of places are contingent on what most people in game want to call them.

When crafting a map, a cartographer has the ability to give names to areas, mountains, villages, etc. The Soulborn Engine will keep track of all the names given in maps and the ones more frequently used in maps will be the ones used by the NPCs.[3] Source

So names of locations (one would assume items and other stuff could change -supposition on my part) keeping those items listed out on a “lore” page would give an official name to something or someplace that may be known by dozens of names adding an air of permanence to something that by design isn’t.

-2. Servers are literally different worlds.

In Chroncles of Elyria, each server has unique geography. Source

Doesn’t seem like a big problem but when you combine with #1 you now have a shifting landscape with different stories within each server so after 1-2 months let alone years the servers will diverge greatly from the starting point.

-3. The story will open and develop differently based on choices the players make.

Each server follows the main story of the game, but the outcomes can radically change depending on the players' actions. Source

In conclusion there are other reasons but in short each server is a different game. They are based in the same general world but in 1 the Brazilians may have reached the moon first while in another Antarctica may have remained at the equator after Pangea broke up. A lore section would only be accurate for that snapshot in time and only for that singular server.

Nice idea but lore is literally written by scribe in game. Moving it to a section on the website wouldn’t work. All my opinion of course.