COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
What's your design experience?

I know that some of you backers get design experiences with your packages so I'm curious... what are you picking, or thinking about picking?

I know one person plans on lantern shields.

Another plans on meowls...

She'd originally planned on doing flying foxes, which sound way cooler to me; whether they're fruit bats with the same name or actual foxes with some sort of wings. Seriously, those little suckers are adorable.

5/11/2018 7:21:56 AM #1

Soylent Green as a byproduct of processing kypiq bodies. Don't worry the description would say it's made of soy only ;)

If that doesn't pan out then the tattoo on my chest lol

THE EMPIRE GUILD

6ADB99

5/11/2018 7:57:51 AM #2

Something along the lines of

and either

or

5/11/2018 3:35:52 PM #3

A weapon. The type, still undetermined.

5/11/2018 4:50:37 PM #4

Well my options are:

A tattoo or hairstyle

or

A food, drink, or potion

Now I have no idea how the potion DE will work because I have no idea what our options are on effects. I'm not bothered about tattoo or hairstyle so i'm left with food or drink.

I guess I'll go for drink and create some kind of beer. I mean I don't even know how that's going to work, do i choose what ingredients it gets made from or what? Got no clue about anything.

5/11/2018 5:02:21 PM #5

For those of you who are uncertain, why not start some kind of idea gathering thread from the rest of the community so that you can see if any of them appeal to you?

@Rieko, I suggest Kusarigama. Its like dual wielded pickaxes with attached chains to extend their range considerably.

In gameplay terms, It can be used at long range (possibly to trip/disarm). At short range to stab. It can be used as pickaxes to climb cliffs(like in Tomb Raider).

So in combat it will be about maintaining the right distance, since its combination of short blades and long chains means its good at either short distances or long distances. something like a Katana may be able to be used against this by engaging in a medium distance while not letting the Kusarigama user create distance.

alt text

5/11/2018 5:26:36 PM #6

Posted By SoulSpark at 02:50 AM - Sat May 12 2018

I guess I'll go for drink and create some kind of beer. I mean I don't even know how that's going to work, do i choose what ingredients it gets made from or what? Got no clue about anything.

Basically sums up my DE as well. I probably go with a drink or maybe a potion. But then not really much difference between the two. Besides that I have zero idea, how do I create something if I'm not even sure what biome I'm in, thus what ingredients will even be around me. Or does SBS decide all that and I just need to come up with the effects?

5/11/2018 5:42:41 PM #7

To add onto the Cowls -- Lillica actually came up with the beautiful concept of Meowls

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/6091/introducing-the-meowl?page=6#post233092

Theyre Adorable: (Drawn by Fancycakes)

5/11/2018 5:43:51 PM #8

@soulspark @Gunnlang

what about a particular type of beer thats good for fighters...eventually with enough training under the effects of that beer, discovering drunken fist style. Would certainly make the fighting style rarer as you not only need to learn the techniques but they must be performed/trained under the effects of a particular brew.

only problem is this sounds like two DEs

alt text

5/11/2018 8:05:05 PM #9

@HajimeSaito

If I'm not mistaken, I think katanas will already be in-game. See:

Snipehunter - 04/04/2018 Oh! Wow, I totally did not add that to the DJ, wth was I thinking: Since weapons are componential, you can make pretty much any weapon you can think of. You just need the right components. So, want a Katana? Get yourself a recipe for a curved single edged blade with a hidden tang, a recipe for the handle wrap, and one for the guard and then assemble them into a katana. As for how you get recipes: Existing recipes are going to be found, purchased or taught in the world.

Experimentation is a different thing though: Many of the techniques you can employ are interchangeable and each of them changes the properties passed into the weapon, so depending on how you want to the weapon to perform you'd use different techniques. It's possible for techniques to impart visual changes as well, but in most cases the way a weapon looks is dictacted by the components you use while the way it performs is about materials used and techniques employed.

Posted By VioletWinterlynn at 12:42 PM - Fri May 11 2018

To add onto the Cowls -- Lillica actually came up with the beautiful concept of Meowls

I don't know why I had typed cowls... I meant meowls, but not the ones you reference in your post. See google images for meowls. Though I guess I don't really know which one of those the person in question meant...

Posted By Xerr at 02:21 AM - Fri May 11 2018

Soylent Green as a byproduct of processing kypiq bodies. Don't worry the description would say it's made of soy only ;)

Well, we know for a fact that mann won't be ingredients for any kind of crafting.

5/11/2018 9:12:22 PM #10

Posted By Isamu at 2:02 PM - Fri May 11 2018

For those of you who are uncertain, why not start some kind of idea gathering thread from the rest of the community so that you can see if any of them appeal to you?

@Rieko, I suggest Kusarigama. Its like dual wielded pickaxes with attached chains to extend their range considerably.

In gameplay terms, It can be used at long range (possibly to trip/disarm). At short range to stab. It can be used as pickaxes to climb cliffs(like in Tomb Raider).

So in combat it will be about maintaining the right distance, since its combination of short blades and long chains means its good at either short distances or long distances. something like a Katana may be able to be used against this by engaging in a medium distance while not letting the Kusarigama user create distance.

I don't remember if the weapon DE also includes the creation of all animations required to implement weapons that are a bit uncomon.

5/11/2018 11:54:00 PM #11

Posted By Tiffany at 2:05 PM - Fri May 11 2018

@HajimeSaito

Snipehunter - 04/04/2018 Oh! Wow, I totally did not add that to the DJ, wth was I thinking: Since weapons are componential, you can make pretty much any weapon you can think of. You just need the right components. So, want a Katana? Get yourself a recipe for a curved single edged blade with a hidden tang, a recipe for the handle wrap, and one for the guard and then assemble them into a katana. As for how you get recipes: Existing recipes are going to be found, purchased or taught in the world.

Experimentation is a different thing though: Many of the techniques you can employ are interchangeable and each of them changes the properties passed into the weapon, so depending on how you want to the weapon to perform you'd use different techniques. It's possible for techniques to impart visual changes as well, but in most cases the way a weapon looks is dictacted by the components you use while the way it performs is about materials used and techniques employed.

I don't know why I had typed cowls... I meant meowls, but not the ones you reference in your post. See google images for meowls. Though I guess I don't really know which one of those the person in question meant...

Well, we know for a fact that mann won't be ingredients for any kind of crafting.

Where did they say they wouldn't allow it?

THE EMPIRE GUILD

6ADB99

5/12/2018 12:15:20 AM #12

Posted By Xerr at 6:54 PM - Fri May 11 2018

In Discord, here:

Caspian - 03/27/2018 @(EU) Kristján the Skáld (EoF) I can confirm there are no recipes or crafting patterns that require components of Mann.

They've also stated that cannibalism won't be a thing and your idea would involve both.

Snipehunter - 03/10/2018 And yeah, to be clear: No cannibalism in coe.

5/12/2018 1:06:51 AM #13

Posted By Isamu at 01:02 AM - Sat May 12 2018

Kusarigama definitely gets a +1

Posted By Tiffany at 04:05 AM - Sat May 12 2018

@HajimeSaito

Katanas may be in game, but that's not a katana. That's a Nodachi!!! Which may be in game as well, I don't know.

There is also the Naginata, which may also be in game, in which case, I may chose another weapon like Kama or Kusarigama or maybe just go for the Top Knot hairstyle..

5/12/2018 1:11:05 AM #14

Posted By Tiffany at 6:15 PM - Fri May 11 2018

Posted By Xerr at 6:54 PM - Fri May 11 2018

In Discord, here:

Caspian - 03/27/2018 @(EU) Kristján the Skáld (EoF) I can confirm there are no recipes or crafting patterns that require components of Mann.

They've also stated that cannibalism won't be a thing and your idea would involve both.

Snipehunter - 03/10/2018 And yeah, to be clear: No cannibalism in coe.

That is seriously disappointing. I'm curious then why we are allowed to use the bones of the dead and not the bodies in recipes? Given we've already been told that the Dras do that.

THE EMPIRE GUILD

6ADB99

5/12/2018 11:34:57 AM #15

If I had the money to spare to get myself a design experience, I'd probably have been agonising over what to choose for this for months. Too many ideas...

But there's definitely a few favourites that would top the list of preference. I have an unhealthy and obsessive fascination with scythes, and would love to see them in the game as a weapon of finesse. The acid leeches I detailed in the brainstorm thread that someone chucked up a few days back would be another choice. The rest would require digging a fair way back through the forums for me to fully recall >,<

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.