COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
So when will AI start voicing games?

With the new ultra realistic voices for google assistant I'm wondering when this tech would be integrated into games.

Think of the true 'dynamic' quests and stories that an AI could craft when they can say anything they want to say. Not only that but NPC/player conversations would be totally different; more natural and less scripted.

What do you guys think about this? are you looking forward for our industry to incorporate this tech? how long would it take? would only triple A titles have the financial power to do it? or would it be less worth than hiring voice actors? (keep in mind eventhough at a relatively higher cost in the beginning, an AI would probably be able to craft endless conversation lines more than the limits of a voice actor: meaning supporting the endless end game content if you think of a game like CoE and its soulborn engine)

alt text

5/13/2018 8:34:24 AM #1

You still have a good while. Where I work we use AI sometimes to caption videos, and for a vast majority of the time, it needs babysitting. Can't just hit and it forget it.

Given there is a large degree of difference depending on where you are. No one is going to release the good stuff for free..

5/13/2018 8:40:00 AM #2

Only a matter of time, no that doesn't answer your question. But if you want to expedite the process then consider 'donating' your voice to the Mozilla Common Voice project.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

5/13/2018 9:26:35 AM #3

Im thinking the AI voiced NPC would probably take years to be used in the game industry but text-only based AI conversations can probably already be implemented in-game , not sure why we haven't seen those in games yet. We already have tons of chatbots.

Anyway I'm excited for these stuff even if its not voiced to be coming soon, It's gonna provide 'endless' non repetitive content for a lot of open world RPGs.

I bet if SBS haven't already they would eventually implement some kind of AI for their NPC speech (text-only) during those 10 years of the story... after all they want npcs to be indistinguishable from players. 10 years is a long time in terms of technological innovations specially considering the rate of innovations increase as well. Although I'm assuming that the developers would improve the game continually after release for that 10 year period, which (apart from research based add ons) may not be the case.

alt text

5/14/2018 10:36:18 AM #4

Yeah when the NPC AI start behaving like the hosts from Westworld and pass the Turing test I'm not sure if we should celebrate or run and hide.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

5/14/2018 1:43:40 PM #5

Posted By ZeroCool at 11:36 AM - Mon May 14 2018

Yeah when the NPC AI start behaving like the hosts from Westworld and pass the Turing test I'm not sure if we should celebrate or run and hide.

You forgot the third option - kill it with fire.

Coming Soon(tm)

5/14/2018 4:39:27 PM #6

I can't wait for a computer to tell me it slept with my mother.

5/14/2018 5:16:27 PM #7

I wonder, how long it will take, until some company lets an AI make a whole MMO... and how that will play out^^

And if anything goes wrong, just tell the AI a paradox.

"this sentence is false... dont think about it, dont think about it" /goes offline :D

Friend Code: 30EF47

5/14/2018 5:53:23 PM #8

Posted By chipla at 3:43 PM - Mon May 14 2018

Posted By ZeroCool at 11:36 AM - Mon May 14 2018

You forgot the third option - kill it with fire.

That's probably the worst idea. By the time you perceive an AI as being so smart it could be a threat, it's already likely smarter than all of humanity combined. It's better to work together than to provoke such an AI.

Anyway, it's likely AI will advance enough during the 10 years of CoE that they may use it to their advantage.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX