COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Tunnel / Cellar

I know that ist not possible to do a tunnel under a City wall to get in.

But is it possible to create a Cellar or Tunnel System under his own walls?

Alt text - can be left blank

5/18/2018 7:40:42 PM #1

Posted By MagistrateMondra at

I know that ist not possible to do a tunnel under a City wall to get in.

But is it possible to create a Cellar or Tunnel System under his own walls?

you are going to LOVE this Dev Joiurnal about PLAYER MADE DUNGEONS!

5/18/2018 7:43:16 PM #2

I know this... the question is still... If this can be build under my own City walls. Or if it just will be possible under a building.

Thx for help

5/18/2018 8:07:16 PM #3

Posted By MagistrateMondra at 12:43 PM - Fri May 18 2018

I know this... the question is still... If this can be build under my own City walls. Or if it just will be possible under a building.

Thx for help

So did you read the "Making a Dungeon" section where it is explained you can build tunnels and elaborate dungeons?

5/18/2018 8:11:12 PM #4

ah i see what you're asking

am not sure though i would speculate that if one cannot tunnel under city walls from the outside in, it would make sense they can't tunnel under city walls from the inside out

5/18/2018 8:13:11 PM #5

I believe my english is to bad to explain correctly... or you dont get my Point....

Yeah i read this...and I understand that I can build dungeons and a cellar...

Let me try again. Someone said that it won't be possible to build a tunnel under a wall to invade a enemy City. My question is.... if I can build tunnels under my Walls....

Not under a flat or house or area... just if it will be possible under a wall.... because as an enemy this won't be possible.

Holy... im out. My english sux... obviously

5/18/2018 8:17:42 PM #6

Posted By MagistrateMondra at 9:13 PM - Fri May 18 2018

I believe my english is to bad to explain correctly... or you dont get my Point....

Let me try again. Someone said that it won't be possible to build a tunnel under a wall to invade a enemy City. My question is.... if I can build tunnels under my Walls....

Not under a flat or house or area... just if it will be possible under a wall.... because as an enemy this won't be possible.

Hey buddy!

So I think it has to do with useing plans. I would imagain if you wanted to make runways and such to run along your walls it is okay.

Heck if we can make dungeons we can likely make secret escapes!

What I would say thou is... as far as I am aware we own a certain distance under ground of the land we own... saying that I'm sure we can do something about that in contracts lol

Edit: Also, again, I think it has to do with plans... like makeing a house.

5/18/2018 8:20:41 PM #7

Posted By MagistrateMondra at 10:13 PM - Fri May 18 2018

Do you want to do this to undermine a wall structure?

I personally think it is very well possible to build a tunnel under a wall, but I don't a benefit for that as an enemy.

Anyway, it is perfectly okay to write in English and than write the same in your own language. The moderators here are not so strict in language enforcing.

5/18/2018 8:23:28 PM #8

Maybe I like to use These ways as an escape or Transport route.

Trying to plan my City...

5/18/2018 8:27:53 PM #9

Posted By MagistrateMondra at 10:23 PM - Fri May 18 2018

Maybe I like to use These ways as an escape or Transport route.

Trying to plan my City...

Good idea, why not?

The devs said it's possible to dig everywhere you want, even if you don't own the land.

5/21/2018 6:33:10 PM #10

I don't see why you couldn't build tunnels. and tunnels could probably be built from the outside by enemies Or i just missed the part where they simply Can't ... But remember it takes time and planing to start digging a tunnel.
so in order for someone to get away with that they would have to do it very secretly and hope no one spots them digging outside your walls. Or the hole you started to dig ... I would assume if you have walls you ll have daily patrols

And ya they would probably benefit from planned tunnel structure than just using a shovel

Friend code 53C403
5/21/2018 8:42:22 PM #11

My concern with tunnels and such is if you look at games like ark/conan exiles, you can see that people just plop stuff down where ever. now if you added tunneling to those games it'd be a mess and i think that would transfer over into CoE

5/22/2018 12:39:40 AM #12

Didn't they say something like you can dig tunnels anywhere but you will have to contend with the dirt and obviously you need to have the tools/ beams and components to stop it collapsing all of which would make your attempts at digging visible to other players, scouts etc and you might even be heard. I don't recall anyone ever saying you can't dig under a wall but then again there's a lot of info i'm not up to date on.

5/22/2018 9:59:58 AM #13

Tunneling under walls and towers has been a siege tactic in RL since at least a few centuries BCE. King Philip of Macedon even pretended to mine under one city's walls, succeeding thereby in gaining its surrender, so the technique and its potential for success were likely well-known to the city's residents. The intention of the process was to collapse part of the fortifications. Sneaking into the city was not generally the intention, because the tunneling was fairly easy to detect from within, and could just as easily be defeated from within by those protected in the fortifications.

That said, it's not certain that SBS will actually allow such tunneling to destroy portions of fortifications, since that could be seen as a kind of terraforming when the graphical representation of the results are considered.

5/22/2018 4:07:06 PM #14

Maybe when walls are built they're built part way underground too to an extent that tunneling would still hit the wall. I know if I'm building a defensive wall I'd wanna have it subterranean aswell as above ground.

5/22/2018 4:53:16 PM #15

Posted By SoulSpark at 11:07 AM - Tue May 22 2018

Maybe when walls are built they're built part way underground too to an extent that tunneling would still hit the wall. I know if I'm building a defensive wall I'd wanna have it subterranean aswell as above ground.

This just really wasn't done with medieval tech... That was the purpose of the moat, which was hopefully deep enough the enemy couldn't dig under.