COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Questions

I have a couple questions that I want answered and feel free to answer one or all down below. please indicate which question you are answering if it is not already obvious based on your response.

1) How will looting work? If I kill a deer, will meat and hide just appear on the ground similarly to when you kill someone in Fortnite, or will you need to skin and harvest what you need. If so, will there be skills based on skinning.

2)Will there be a way of inspecting the quality of goods?It was mentioned that you can inspect a sword by trying it out, but you cannot really try out the wool a shady merchant assures you is the best quality wool in the kingdom. Likewise, this applies to harvesting recourses. If you get a job as a blacksmith to make a sword for the king, you are going to want quality ore, but if the only way of telling if the ore you mine is quality is by using it, you can waste a lot of time making a sword only to find that its not good enough.

3) At launch, how do you get started with your trade? I can see if you start in a NPC family, they are already established and can give you money. But if you are a ward or are a part of a player family, how will you afford the tools you need to start your trade? Based on pictures given by the devs, some trades, like blacksmithing, require a lot of different tools and stations to produce items, which I would imagine would require a large upfront cost. If the only way to make money early on is gathering basic recourses and then selling them to NPCs, it could take a long time until you have the funds to buy what you need.

4)What level of dialog and reasoning can I have with a NPC? For example, if someone was plotting a rebellion, would they be able to explain to a NPC lord that if they support them, then when the rebellion is over, the new lord will look kindly on them. Something that a contract might not be able to handle because there is no specific land or monetary reward promised, but it might be in the NPC's best interest anyway.

5) What are other ways of dealing with players besides coup de grace? For example, if I was caught breaking the law by a NPC, I could kill them and the information would die with them. If I was caught by a player, I'm kind of screwed. Even if I coup de grace them, when they finish soul walking, they can just report me to the guards. This same thing can be applied with assassinations. What's the point in spending a large amount of money in order to kill someone if they can continue on like nothing happened, besides in the distant future they will have a slightly shorter lifespan.

I thank you in advance for any and all the answers to these questions. If the Devs have not released information about these topics yet, please point that out and I will make sure to be around in for the next stream to ask them directly. I just do not want to ask the devs a question that has already been answered.

5/21/2018 1:23:30 AM #1

1) Yes there will be skills that deal with getting items from creatures you hunt. Your skill level and player skill will combine to determine if and how much of a loot item you get from your kill.

3) You will be able to rent items and materials from masters in order to get your trade going. These can be players or NPCs.

5) A note about sending an assassin to kill someone, the amount of spirit loss they suffer is based on their fame level. A max level fame character, like a king, will suffer 32x as much spirit loss as a normal character. So instead of 2 days for a death, you're looking at over 2 months.

Death is just another path, one we all must take

Friend Code: C8DF9C

5/21/2018 2:06:23 AM #2
  1. A lot like the real world. You'll have to know what to cut, where to cut, and so on.

2. I'm going to say probably but you may need some kind of wool expert or something to inspect it. If you don't have any knowledge about wool, much like the real world, you probably wouldn't be able to determine something like that yourself.

3. I encourage you to watch this interview with Snipehunter. It goes over that pretty thoroughly and it's a great interview. Snipehunter is one of the game's developers. To give you a very abbreviated answer (and really it'd be better to watch the interview), as a ward you'd want to find someone to apprentice under. If there's no one in your village you could apprentice under you might have to travel to find one. If you start out in a family it's possible one of them might know something about it and could help get you started. During character creation when you select your interests & backstory it does specifically find families that will be able to help you with what you want to do. Otherwise, you could also apprentice. Another option are books but it's a lot harder to learn that way and it's generally recommended to find a master.

4. I can't answer that one.

5. You could always try to frame them. There will be an evidence system. Two birds with one stone, eh?

5/21/2018 2:21:06 AM #3
  1. We really don’t have many details on he how it works but in essence yes an animal will drop parts. Whether that requires some gathering skill or not we don’t know.

It's also true when attacking animals. You won't kill a giant brown bear and loot a pair of chain boots. You'd get hide, meat, bones, and maybe some teeth or claws.

Source

.2. Again we just don’t know yet. One would assume items would have some visual to go along with the item quality ie purple, gold, white colored but we don’t know.

The level and expertise of the crafter should also hint at the quality of the product.

Source

.3. As a ward you may have some starting items like you receive from a family but my guess what you start with would be based on the level/size of the orphanage you start from.

A Ward sacrifices the financial and social support system which comes with a family, in exchange for additional character customization and more flexibility.

Source

.4. This is really two questions. NPC interaction and information. Reputation and fame spread through gossip. Any time you interact with NPCs you have an opportunity to gossip with them. This gives you the chance to learn things about other characters in your area, and to share things that you've witnessed as well. Depending on the openness of the NPC you're talking to, they may turn around and pass the information along to other NPCs and PCs who want to chat.

So if they like the lord more than the rebel they just might pass that information to the lord.

Source

Now as for actually taking part in a rebellion and it’s aftermath.

Coups are divisive. If a Mayor coups and invades the County seat, the other mayors/barons have essentially three options.

Join the pretender and become part of his/her new county Remain neutral, and hope your current liege lord doesn’t win Join your liege’s call to arms and hope the pretender doesn’t win Regardless of which option you choose, there is a potential loss condition for you. If you joined the pretender and he lost, or remained neutral when your liege summoned you, you committed treason. In the event your liege lord wins, you’re at risk of losing your title.

If you remained loyal to your old master, and the coup is successful, the new count could sue for peace, or could choose to stretch his/her army further and invade your lands as well. No matter which route you go, coups are dangerous times for everyone.

So there is little reasoning with NPCs if you join a rebellion against them your likely toast unless you have a high flavor with them.

Source

.5. There is a lot about crime and punishment floating around so just start here.