COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
The cost of loss and bumping sales

First off, love the items on sale so far, great work!

Suggestion: add recipes to the wooden boats.

For things like a $60 ship, there is a very obvious very real risk of losing it in-game. As one keen eyed Discord user pointed out, it will be just sitting on the riverbank waiting to be stolen ...

That's perfectly fine, normal part of the game. But it is also a disincentive to purchase.

Suggestion: ships, boats, and the War-on-Water pack should include recipes. Indeed the $300 pack is really neat for those who wish to play - but if it included the recipes so when you inevitably lose your ship / armour / axe etc you could make more it would be even more appealing.

Further, nothing suggests that the knowledge to make a rowboat etc would be rare or legendary or anything, so such knowledge should not be unbalancing in any way.

Suggestion: sell a Stables.

Additionally, there was a further apt comment about the sales. It's fantastic for those who wish to be by the water. But not everyone does.

We've had a lot of mounts, pets, and such sold recently. I'd very strongly recommend selling a Stables next week, possibly in the same style as a Manor. After all, it is only recently that large homes did not also have a stables ...

In the future, selling a Jousting Set, Knights Tents etc would likely be very well received. But for now, an optional stables to go with the farm or your home, set at a modest price? Yes please!

Edit

Future ideas

Town Guard Set

To make life more interesting for raiders, a dozen gamebsons, sheilds, and spears for your townsfolk to take up and defend with. Comes with a hut and weapons rack to keep them in.

Cavalry Gear set

Think you can get away that easy raiders? Tack, spears, kite shields, cloth comparisons, and light armour for half a dozen cavalry. You need to supply the mounts though.

Link to my story

5/21/2018 6:45:04 PM #1

Posted By Lady Grace at

First off, love the items on sale so far, great work!

Suggestion: add recipes to the wooden boats.

For things like a $60 ship, there is a very obvious very real risk of losing it in-game. As one keen eyed Discord user pointed out, it will be just sitting on the riverbank waiting to be stolen ...

That's perfectly fine, normal part of the game. But it is also a disincentive to purchase.

Suggestion: ships, boats, and the War-on-Water pack should include recipes. Indeed the $300 pack is really neat for those who wish to play - but if it included the recipes so when you inevitably lose your ship / armour / axe etc you could make more it would be even more appealing.

Further, nothing suggests that the knowledge to make a rowboat etc would be rare or legendary or anything, so such knowledge should not be unbalancing in any way.

Additionally, there was a further apt comment about the sales. It's fantastic for those who wish to be by the water. But not everyone does.

We've had a lot of mounts, pets, and such sold recently. I'd very strongly recommend selling a Stables next week, possibly in the same style as a Manor. After all, it is only recently that large homes did not also have a stables ...

In the future, selling a Jousting Set, Knights Tents etc would likely be very well received. But for now, an optional stables to go with the farm or your home, set at a modest price? Yes please!

For that matter could sell a boathouse in which we can securely lock our boat...

5/21/2018 6:50:29 PM #2

They could easily give you the recipe. If you're not a shipwright of sufficient level though it's just a piece of paper telling you how to build a ship.

Count Iryano

5/21/2018 6:51:44 PM #3

I agree with the recipes.

Also it'd be super cool if we could buy the mead/recipe separately, for those of us not all that interested in the boat theme going on. I'd buy that in a heartbeat. :(

Friend Code: CB1D33

5/21/2018 6:55:49 PM #4

Everything in the game stays in the game, until it's destroyed. A stolen boat is much easier to find and will be treated like anything else that will be stolen. The alleged thief will be branded as a criminal.

5/21/2018 7:01:53 PM #5

Some of the reason I'm not spending anything is the nautical theme doesn't interest me. I know I'm not alone in thinking a little more variation would be nice especially since no-one wants to spend $60 on a boat only to end up somewhere without ready access to water (which is a complaint I've heard several times on the various CoE related discords I'm in).

Coming Soon(tm)

5/21/2018 7:06:30 PM #6

Posted By Lira at 06:51 AM - Tue May 22 2018

Also it'd be super cool if we could buy the mead/recipe separately, for those of us not all that interested in the boat theme going on. I'd buy that in a heartbeat. :)

Totally agreed!

Link to my story

5/21/2018 7:06:53 PM #7

Posted By chipla at 09:01 AM - Mon May 21 2018

Some of the reason I'm not spending anything is the nautical theme doesn't interest me. I know I'm not alone in thinking a little more variation would be nice especially since no-one wants to spend $60 on a boat only to end up somewhere without ready access to water (which is a complaint I've heard several times on the various CoE related discords I'm in).

This is exactly how I feel. I'm glad that they have people excited. I just wish there was more variety so I could be excited too. :)

Friend Code: CB1D33

5/21/2018 7:32:47 PM #8

Posted By Lira at 8:51 PM - Mon May 21 2018

Also it'd be super cool if we could buy the mead/recipe separately, for those of us not all that interested in the boat theme going on. I'd buy that in a heartbeat. :(

Absolutely! I thought about buying some barrels for my Hrothi-family... but what should I do with a boat? Maybe it is possible to carpenter some little doors out of it? ;)

5/21/2018 7:40:24 PM #9

The recipe for a boat sounds neat and people would probably be more willing to spend real money on it in that case.

However, just a question regarding the horses... cant really have a 'recipe' for that. So just wondering if any of you know if theres something you could do to prevent your newly bought horse from being stolen.

I would support the idea of horses only being stolen if they aren't tied to something. Cuz otherwise in an online game you would always lose your horse within the first few hours of buying it. Just a concern I wanted to share, thats all.

alt text

5/21/2018 8:34:24 PM #10

Lady Grace is right, this particular package is 'missing' a quite appropriate blueprint for the vessel. Though this assumes that this isn't a base level common ship that just about anyone could make without effort.

5/21/2018 8:46:12 PM #11

I did not think of any of these ideas personally. I think you guys/gals are bringing up some really valid points. Would like to see where this goes.

5/21/2018 10:37:48 PM #12

I am definitely in agreement with this. I'm personally not going to spend anything on sea faring vessels since I have no idea if I'll even need them. Not only is it slightly specific but its something you can't even count on.

Now if I could buy like a stable pack that gave me a stable, some horses for breeding and the equipment for them I'd totally pick that up since I know people will need to get from here to there over land.

I would also be for a guard post, with options for wood or stone and the equipment. Maybe with some wall to go with it if you get the upgraded version.

THE EMPIRE GUILD

6ADB99

5/22/2018 4:51:20 AM #13

AFAIK items can be examined and learned about. So if you have the average level skill in "boat making', examine the boat and draw up the blueprints yourself.

5/22/2018 5:39:50 AM #14

Posted By Lady Grace at

I think it would greatly diminish the value of those boats and of research if anyone would be able to craft them at the start. Also, the risk is supposed to be inherent to this game, if you don’t think you can protect your belonging, that you won’t have the structure and manpower in place to hold and man those boats. Well, you shouldn’t be buying those.

Imagine a random guy that is scared to buy the boat because he can’t protect it. Then he buys the plan, crafts one after the other and get them stolen one after the other. There you go: you got a random guy flooding the sea with potential raiding boats!

It would be bad for the stability of the game if they all fall into wrong hands and well, thieves usually are considered “wrong hands”. You want these kinds of objects mostly reserved to high tier nobles, barons and big groups of raiding type PvPers players.

It's true that some pledges included a design experience that will come with the recipe for it, though those were high tier pledges and so very limited and those objects will be unique designs.

I agree here, the objects on the shop are great... but, they should have added more variety and many more articles to buy to please different types of players with different types of gameplay (I mean the rowboat is fun but being one of the only original things present for the first week was a little sad).

Or maybe different types of stables for different gameplays and city sizes and so various types of prices for those.

Edit

Future ideas

Town Guard Set

To make life more interesting for raiders, a dozen gamebsons, sheilds, and spears for your townsfolk to take up and defend with. Comes with a hut and weapons rack to keep them in.

Cavalry Gear set

Think you can get away that easy raiders? Tack, spears, kite shields, cloth comparisons, and light armour for half a dozen cavalry. You need to supply the mounts though.

I’m a little scared of the idea of selling weapons and armors, to be honest.

If you take the boat with 10 armors, shield and weapons sets, those sets should be valued around 20 dollars each. I’m pretty sure that everyone buying the game could also afford a military gear set and some nobles could for sure buy loads of those.

So by doing so, you would flood the market at the start with weapons and armors, greatly reducing their values and the value of the craftsmen and the gatherers. In a game that wants to create a “realistic” type of economy.

Sure, there should be technological advancement and research to improve those. But still, you would have turned a game that was supposed to emulate a living world, with all the different types of crafts and jobs that make up a society, into a potential PvP arena where everyone can afford a weapon and armor and where all are armed to the teeth. I don’t think it would be wise.

Weapons and armors should be objects of a certain value and not be affordable by all at the very begining.

5/22/2018 5:59:02 AM #15

why would they do that... game is already p2w enough and personally im not buying any higher tier... coz im against p2w and poor how about you work for it like a true and honourable player instead of buying your way to success...