COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
CoE + Mordhau

Can you guys imagine this game with Mordhau mechanics. I feel like the only thing that CoE could lack is on the combat system and mechanics. Having tried SotA I gotta say that doesn't matter if you have good lore and quest sytem if your combat mechanics are pure thrash it really limits the players. Why is that competitive gaming and MMORPGs can not be in the same realm?

5/22/2018 3:59:08 AM #1

I like their direction that they have planned with Dark souls or just a bit faster. Though I do like a Good M&B system. The game will not be hack and slash and button mashy to be skilled. You will apparently customize your own combos that you've learned while going to various different regions to learn and become a great warrior.

5/22/2018 4:36:48 AM #2

I really hope combat is like Mordhau. The only issue i see is CoE will be made third person.

5/22/2018 5:34:07 AM #3

Posted By Matriarch at 12:36 AM - Tue May 22 2018

I really hope combat is like Mordhau. The only issue i see is CoE will be made third person.

COE is 3rd and 1st person.

5/22/2018 6:01:25 AM #4

Posted By Marcusambr at 3:34 PM - Tue May 22 2018

Exactly. The way i see it is there is no reason to use first person for combat. In 3rd person you can see around and over walls, have a wider FOV, can judge distances more easily and in general hack and slash as you run back and forth. This is much harder to do in 1st person.

Let's imagine you are in a fight, You are facing your opponent. If you are in 1st person you have limited vision on those sneaking up on you. You also have to judge distances from a first person view. IMO it is more skill based and immersive when having to fight in first person.

Lets say you are blocking a blow, you raise your shield and block in the direction of attack. In this split moment, you are blind, with your shield blocking your view. A skilled opponent could have feinted and strike you elsewhere. I've also always found drawing a bow in first person more satisfying than drawing it in 3rd person, in 3rd person you'd almost defiantly need some aim marker. A game that gets bow combat right is Rust. You draw the bow and all you have is the tip of the arrow to aim with, no markers etc. You account for drop and the targets movement and let loose.

Being in 3rd person negates many of the disadvantages of first person. As mentioned before i don't see CoE's combat aiming to be on the skill level/immersion of Mordhau due to the fact that 3rd person is an option.

5/22/2018 9:22:07 AM #5

The problem i have with it being like any of the combat that is inspired by the legendary M&B, lots of people don't "Get it." in the general population. People more understand an action combat approach. It also looks more pretty.

I played M&B in third person most of the time, being that well it's hard to see the whole arch of the swing of some weapons within the game. You need to hit people with the sharp bits to do real damage.

Pretty much if you do M&B combat do it right. But many games that have been made have done it horribly wrong I can only name like 2 that mimic and capture the complexities that are within M&B, the others streamline it too much and make it clunky.

Good games with M&B inspiration is, Chivalry, and Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

I have not played mordhau though looks promising.

But Honestly, I am more worried that the already niche game that this is, wouldn't benefit from such an alienating combat system. I think it needs to be more of your typical action game, But if they think they can pull it off and make it as good as mount and blade, and its games that it has inspired the better.

They already have a vision for their game though, and the type of combat they want, it's a combo based action combat system. Where you build combos and use techniques of various lands you may have traveled to.

5/22/2018 1:04:59 PM #6

Posted By Gunghoe at 05:22 AM - Tue May 22 2018

They already have a vision for their game though, and the type of combat they want, it's a combo based action combat system. Where you build combos and use techniques of various lands you may have traveled to.

Welp, I'm utterly disappointed by this comment. "Combo based action combat" is exactly what SotA has, and at least to me is nothing more than vastly unfulfilling and immersive breaking. Personally, and at risk of sounding too radical, but anything that is not action-combat skill based system on this genre just belongs to another era. This is mostly for the fact that the lack of realism in the combat mechanics do take away from any immersion that the lore and content of the game may be providing me.

That being said, I don't think I'll stick for this one. Good Luck.

5/22/2018 4:56:30 PM #7

Posted By bael at 6:34 PM - Tue May 22 2018

Welp, I'm utterly disappointed by this comment. "Combo based action combat" is exactly what SotA has, and at least to me is nothing more than vastly unfulfilling and immersive breaking.

Their aiming for a combat system similar to Absolver. I'd say thats pretty fulfilling and immersive. "combo based action combat" is a pretty bare bones way of describing something with this level of depth.

alt text

5/22/2018 5:59:13 PM #8

Posted By Matriarch at 02:01 AM - Tue May 22 2018

Posted By Marcusambr at 3:34 PM - Tue May 22 2018

Exactly. The way i see it is there is no reason to use first person for combat. In 3rd person you can see around and over walls, have a wider FOV, can judge distances more easily and in general hack and slash as you run back and forth. This is much harder to do in 1st person.

Let's imagine you are in a fight, You are facing your opponent. If you are in 1st person you have limited vision on those sneaking up on you. You also have to judge distances from a first person view. IMO it is more skill based and immersive when having to fight in first person.

Lets say you are blocking a blow, you raise your shield and block in the direction of attack. In this split moment, you are blind, with your shield blocking your view. A skilled opponent could have feinted and strike you elsewhere. I've also always found drawing a bow in first person more satisfying than drawing it in 3rd person, in 3rd person you'd almost defiantly need some aim marker. A game that gets bow combat right is Rust. You draw the bow and all you have is the tip of the arrow to aim with, no markers etc. You account for drop and the targets movement and let loose.

Being in 3rd person negates many of the disadvantages of first person. As mentioned before i don't see CoE's combat aiming to be on the skill level/immersion of Mordhau due to the fact that 3rd person is an option.

Caspian has stated previously that if you're in third person view, you only 'see' what your character would see. IE- the assassin sneaking up on you from behind isn't rendered on your screen.

5/23/2018 12:02:06 AM #9

Posted By Matriarch at 07:01 AM - Tue May 22 2018

Except in an old dev journal it was explained that anything outside of your field of vision will not appear to you so you wouldn't see someone sneaking up behind you or see anything over a wall regardless of 1st or 3rd person.

5/23/2018 2:08:29 AM #10

Posted By Isamu at 12:56 PM - Tue May 22 2018

Posted By bael at 6:34 PM - Tue May 22 2018

Welp, I'm utterly disappointed by this comment. "Combo based action combat" is exactly what SotA has, and at least to me is nothing more than vastly unfulfilling and immersive breaking.

Their aiming for a combat system similar to Absolver. I'd say thats pretty fulfilling and immersive. "combo based action combat" is a pretty bare bones way of describing something with this level of depth.

we don't know anything more than learning new techniques to add to your "combos" as was described by the developers, we have next to no information on how it will truly behave. ALL WE HAVE IS BARE BONES, AND WE KNOW NOTHING OF THE COMPLEXITY.

5/23/2018 7:07:41 AM #11

It's hard to deny that this game and Mordhau would be the best thing ever. I don't think you can reach that level in an MMO, of course, as we're talking about a game that's designed around the combat and not with combat in mind. I still like what CoE is going for, seems responsive and reliant on player skill. It's something that if done right, and fine tuned during alpha and beta, can have that great 'easy to learn, hard to master' feel to it. I also like that they're trying to curb the obvious advantages of third person combat, I hope this will result in players fighting in both first and third person :)