COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Beneficial reasons to spark into NTCs

For things like alchemy where theres not any physical skill needed (characters physicial skill), NTC would be the best option right?, cuz then you can learn more in that same 52 year period than someone who sparked into a child and knew nothing in the beginning. Thats kinda cool, players who focus on alchemy will probably always be the 'old' type with long white beards and it plays into that stereotype a bit. :D

• What other playstyles do you expect NTCs to be better suited for?

• Do you guys expect to see a lot of players, interested in alchemy or any similar profession that doesn't require physical attributes, to be more interested in sparking into older characters? or do you expect it to be a lot more rare?

BTW Is sparking into characters the only thing you could do with story points once the game is launched?

alt text

5/23/2018 2:29:13 AM #1

Posted By Isamu at

For things like alchemy where theres not any physical skill needed, NTC would be the best option right?, cuz then you can learn more in that same 52 year period than someone who sparked into a child and knew nothing in the beginning. Thats kinda cool, players who focus on alchemy will probably always be the 'old' type with long white beards and it plays into that stereotype a bit. :D

Do you guys expect to see a lot of players, interested in alchemy or any similar profession that doesn't require physical attributes, to be more interested in sparking into older characters? or do you expect it to be a lot more rare?

BTW Is sparking into characters the only thing you could do with story points once the game is launched?

I would say its more rare, because you can learn pretty quickly and you wont always know what their skills and attributes are. I'd rather chance it with a new character to see if I can unlock any hidden skills that I'd need to work towards, so I would honestly see it as a waste of a spark to spark into someone that late in their age.

I do see a lot of activity and interest in Alchemy, I have an alchemy academy and a count that wants to do a alchemy guild and stuff and its been very popular lately.

Story points are used for a lot of things, it'll take a while for you to get enough to afford to purchase a spark with it. Story points are used for titles mainly in game -- so if you want to be an adventurer you have to earn enough story points to be a mayor if thats what you want to do etc.

5/23/2018 3:44:16 AM #2

Posted By Isamu at

For things like alchemy where theres not any physical skill needed

Who says there's no physical skill needed? Snipehunter even used baking as an example in the latest TheoryForge episode, to show that almost all professions will require some player skill, the same as smithing.

5/23/2018 3:57:21 AM #3

Posted By mickdude2 at 09:14 AM - Wed May 23 2018

Posted By Isamu at

For things like alchemy where theres not any physical skill needed

Who says there's no physical skill needed? [Snipehunter even used baking as an example in the latest TheoryForge episode to show that almost all professions will require some player skill, the same as smithing.

NICEE thanks for linking that didnt know about it.

Anyway I meant the characters 'physical skills' wont be needed for an alchemy profession such as holding breath, sprinting, jumping, climbing, combat etc.. I already know player skill will be needed for every profession but that has nothing to do with this post.

alt text

5/23/2018 4:03:10 AM #4

Posted By VioletWinterlynn at 07:59 AM - Wed May 23 2018

Story points are used for a lot of things, it'll take a while for you to get enough to afford to purchase a spark with it. Story points are used for titles mainly in game -- so if you want to be an adventurer you have to earn enough story points to be a mayor if thats what you want to do etc.

Interesting... I assumed you would have to be elected by other players in the town to become a mayor. This kinda sounds weird to me now.

alt text

5/23/2018 4:35:03 AM #5

Posted By Isamu at 12:03 AM - Wed May 23 2018

Posted By VioletWinterlynn at 07:59 AM - Wed May 23 2018

Interesting... I assumed you would have to be elected by other players in the town to become a mayor. This kinda sounds weird to me now.

NTCs will be also be elected into mayor slots, which can be sparked into if you have the story points to do so.

5/23/2018 7:06:39 AM #6

Posted By mickdude2 at 04:44 AM - Wed May 23 2018

Who says there's no physical skill needed? Snipehunter even used baking as an example in the latest TheoryForge episode, to show that almost all professions will require some player skill, the same as smithing.

There is no correlation between using player skill and skills that utilise your characters physical attributes which are likely to be higher in the character's youth. So there will be skill that make more sense to focus on when your character is older, and their physical attributes waning. So yes, there will be skills that have no physical requirements for your character and may well suit an NTC choice.

However, the distribution of attributes is not the main benefit I see to NTCs. NTCs have already got themselves settled. They have a career, they have a work place, they have that initial leg work done. If you just want to play a trader and do not want to have to do all the set up they are a great way to just jump in.

As for story points there is both the option to spark into NTCs, and this may include your heirs depending on your fame, as well as allow you to purchase a spark of life if you accrue enough of them (which will happen faster for the more famous, more info in this (Developer Journal)[http://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/4683/DJ-17-Bolstering-EarntoPlay] just note that it was before story points were used for NTCs).

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.