COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
What would be acceptable for a Kypiq farmer?

June store event brought us a few farmer kit, the question is in regard to those kit, what would be acceptable for a Kypiq, following his tribe's culture to farm and to what end ?

"... the Kypiq have become the protectors of the wild and have, as part of their religion, vowed to kill no living thing if it can be helped. As such, while the Kypiq will gather nuts, berries, and other seeds from plants, they're unlikely to eat roots or other floral components which would kill the plant. Similarly, while a Kypiq can eat meat from a fallen animal, they do not hunt. Their unwillingness to kill has allowed them to gain the trust and faith of many a forest creature, leading them to be skilled animal tamers. Legends even tell of some Kypiq who were able to talk to animals. But their diet is not all beneficial to them. After generation upon generation of not eating meat, most Kypiq lack the enzymes necessary to break down animal meat effectively. This results in them gaining no protein from the animal, it doesn't satiate them as effectively, and they tend to get lethargic after consuming animal proteins."

Livestock starter & Prize livestock

Pig

That one seems to be the most out of cultural acceptance, unless a very specific type of pig able tu track and forage mushrooms, pigs seems doomed to be butchered.

Obviously the Kypiq farmer should neither do the butchering nor eat the meat, but can it raise the pigs and sell them to someone who's going to butcher them ?

Chickens

For the most part same question as for the pig, but chicken also lay eggs, even if the Kypiq do not eat them non fertilized eggs are not really animals and might not trigger cultural limitations as to their trade ? A side trade could also be to pluck feathers, as they regrow, it might be acceptable as long as it is done "in accordance" with the chicken ?

Sheep

that one seems to be ok to me if the Kypiq farmer is raising sheep for the wool ? The farming of milk maybe ok too as was the eggs for the chicken ? then again the question of the beast for slaughter arise at the end, can a Kypiq farmer sell a beast knowing that the fate of that beast is slaughter ?

Seed stacks & Textile farm kit

Maize

If Kypiq were to farm maize they'd have to harvest it without cutting the stalk, later mulching the field with the stover. That will help soil management but will prevent the farmer to use the stover for other use.

Potato

That one seems off limit for a Kypiq farmer. Kypiq can eat potatoes but as farming them imply killing the plant it does not seems to be culturally acceptable?

Carrot

Sounds same as the potato to me.

Green Bean

Seems just fine, as long as done like what's been talked about ont he maize. In fact Native Americans customarily grew them along with corn and squash, with the tall cornstalks acting as support for the beans bean wikipedia page. Will we be able to do such a thing in CoE ?

Cotton

Cotton is a perennial plant and as such should be ok to farm for Kypiq, harvesting by hand can be done without harming the plant. Cultivation of cotton as an annul plant is done for better and easier pest and weeds control, so a Kypiq cotton farmer will have more work to keep its field clean and secure than one that does not farm it perennially.

Flax

Flax fiber are taken from the flax stem, so that should be off limit to a Kypiq farmer, but flax can also produce flax seeds and those are edible by both mann and animals, can be used to make oil Linseed oil. Not sure flax can be used like that in CoE but if it can, so a Kypiq farmer should be culturally able to farm flax for that purpose. Again, not using the full scope of the plant put the Kypiq farmer at a disadvantage but just as with corn and beans what the Kypiq farmer lose in alpha revenue it might earn it back in soil management.

I'm eager and happy to hear what Kypiq fans think and if someone in SBS wants to come by and drop us a few infos and knowledge that would be awesome.

6/15/2018 2:10:27 PM #1

What about farming people?

6/15/2018 2:34:59 PM #2

Posted By Lady ShyHeart at 4:10 PM - Fri Jun 15 2018

What about farming people?

None of the kit from the sedecim introduction offer are containing "people", if you want to discuss baby contracts, i am sure there are a number of threads around the forums a lot more adapted to the talk than this one.

If you want to discuss if those kits are adapted or impacted by biomes or how other tribe farmers might have issues with them, we can eventually extend the scope of this thread, but i'd rather suggest to start a new one.

6/15/2018 2:57:12 PM #3

farming isn't a profession i think Kypiq do. Or at least not like other tribes. Maybe they have patches of the forest dedicated to fruit trees, nut trees, vineyards, and berry fields.

As for lifestock. We know Kypiq breed and raise silkworms. and that's mainly what they use for their clothing so I don't think many kypiq would care to raise sheep.

As for food, obviously they aren't going to butcher pigs or chickens nor do i think they would eat eggs since it's still animal protein and would probably affect them the same as regular meat.

And lastly i think the main use of animals aside from silkworms in Kypiq society maybe simply as guardians, companions, or maybe mounts while outside the forest, a little bit more symbiotic than other tribes. Like the Kypiq could have trained birds for signal danger.

so yeah, i think they need to take into consideration all the tribes when having these kits which right now it feels like almost all things in the store like mounts and stuff are geared toward Neran which is dumb and could be considered false advertising in a sense.

6/15/2018 3:15:00 PM #4

Oh my apologies 😬

For some reason I thought Kypiq ate people. I kinda just pictured them breeding people (NPCs) and consuming them.

...is there a tribe that eats people?

6/15/2018 3:17:23 PM #5

Posted By Lady ShyHeart at 08:15 AM - Fri Jun 15 2018

Oh my apologies 😬

For some reason I thought Kypiq ate people. I kinda just pictured them breeding people (NPCs) and consuming them.

...is there a tribe that eats people?

Janoa I would assume.

Alt text - can be left blank

6/15/2018 3:19:11 PM #6

I humbly leave this thread

backs away slowly

6/15/2018 5:15:06 PM #7

OK, let's talk Kypiq, for a minute. The Kypiq's flavor of Faedin holds that all living things have a spirit and that that spirit is sacred. But we also know that the Kypiq are vegetarian - they don't eat animals, but they do eat plants. For that matter, we also know they'll fight and kill if they have to. So how does that work?

The short answer is that they don't kill if they don't have to, but that isn't necessarily the same as saying they don't farm. So let's look at the long answer:

The Kypiq believe that they live in complex symbiotic relationship with the spirits of the forest; they protect the forest and the forest protects them. One of the ways the forest "protects" them is by providing for them. The kypiq take care of the Ironwood which in turn drops bark and branch during certain seasons which can be used to build with, that sort of thing. This relationship is also true in their agriculture. They care for the crops, ensure the crops can continue generation to generation, and in exchange, the crops provide for them some of their bounty to nourish and protect the kypiq that care for them.

So, as the OP points out, it depends on the crop. As a Kypiq, potatoes and carrots probably aren't farmed since you have to kill the plant to harvest them (and waiting till the plant is dead doesn't leave behind viable produce), but seasonal plants that die as part of their cycle anyway, or plants that produce seeds or fruits, they should be fine.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
6/15/2018 5:39:06 PM #8

What if they waited until a person died of natural causes and then ate them?

6/15/2018 5:42:08 PM #9

Posted By Lady ShyHeart at 10:39 AM - Fri Jun 15 2018

What if they waited until a person died of natural causes and then ate them?

Oh that's fine then. ;) No, jokes aside, what's been said about Kypiq before is that they're sort of animal protein intolerant. They can eat meat without dying but it'll make them sick, so there isn't really much point.

• Snipehunter
6/15/2018 6:57:24 PM #10

Actually potatoes could definitely be grown, harvested and eaten by Kypiq since the potato is a tuber, and not a root vegetable.

One potato plant grows many tubers (potatoes) of which some can be harvested without killing off the plant

6/15/2018 6:59:11 PM #11

If I can make vodka from potato, I’ll be down

6/15/2018 7:22:43 PM #12

but what about animals? do kypiq raise Animals and if they do and don't eat them then what's the point? SNIPEHUNTER: i choose you

6/15/2018 7:31:25 PM #13

I plan to play a Kypiq farmer/rancher. In my view, I plan to have some livestock for non-butchered purposes. Along with the examples on non-fertilized eggs and sheep wool, I may consider dairy cows as well. None of my animals will be sent to butcher though. They will live out their lives (hopefully) happily on the ranch. After a natural death, the carcass may be sold to the local tannery, etc.

I may have a few fruit trees for personal food. I am also considering growing wheat (if I happen to live in an area suitable to growing it). I'm considering the idea of viewing harvest time like giving the field a "haircut" before it dies in winter. Lol, bit flimsy justification I know, still playing around with the idea.

6/15/2018 8:32:54 PM #14

Posted By Dleatherus at 11:57 AM - Fri Jun 15 2018

Actually potatoes could definitely be grown, harvested and eaten by Kypiq since the potato is a tuber, and not a root vegetable.

One potato plant grows many tubers (potatoes) of which some can be harvested without killing off the plant

Oh yeah, good point sir!

Posted By MusaKn at 12:22 PM - Fri Jun 15 2018

but what about animals? do kypiq raise Animals and if they do and don't eat them then what's the point? SNIPEHUNTER: i choose you

It would depend on the animal as to why I'd suppose. I could see a Kypiq raising sheep or similar animals for their renewable resources (e.g. for the wool), or raising work-animals, pets, or steeds.

• Snipehunter
6/15/2018 9:18:33 PM #15

I would say tree moss or mushrooms that grow on their tree houses. Or vines for ropes.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.