COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Marriage Contracts and Dowries

I'm curious about the reach and possibilities with the marriage contract system.

I know that we can make amendments to a point, based on the templates provided.

Q. Will dowries be possible as part of the marriage contract?

The other day when the marriage contract topic came up in the discord I made a comment regarding it and it sparked an interesting discussion over it. I was going to wait for the next Open Q&A to ask it, but thought I'd go ahead and post my question in hope it gets an answer sooner.

As they were used quite often (and still are in some places), as a way of showing one's worthiness of entering the family.

For transfer of; produce, animals, troops/protection), money, general wealth and alliances.

These things can be useful for gentry as much as it would be for nobles, regardless if it was a 'convenience' marriage contract or not.

Something as simple as providing livestock, up to jewels or monetary gifts.

6/21/2018 8:10:43 AM #1

In to'resk society marriages are more business agreements.

I believe the answer is yes you can include a dowry in a marriage contract if you want but its probably tribe specific or class specific. Something nobles would do

6/21/2018 8:16:35 AM #2

It's not really just for nobles to benefit from, if they chose to add it as a clause.

Being something 'nobles would do' doesn't mean it'll be mechanically added, it could always be done as a 'donation in trust' by players without an actual mention of it in the contract.

What I'm specifically inquiring about, is regarding the official contract, having the possibility to include it.

Large farming families for example, may want any of their potential heir's suitors, to provide livestock/grain/produce, toward their lively hood as well. Put something to the 'family business' so to speak.

For nobles, it could be a something as simple as a transfer of wealth to cement the alliance.

6/21/2018 12:36:38 PM #3

Really hope something like this could be arranged. A dowry with a purebred horse between two Neran would be very symbolic. As would a wolf with a Brudvir, or Pigs with Dras/Toresk