COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Time Scales & Combat

Hey All!

So this is my first post on here and I've been wondering about how combat will fit in to the time scale of the game. I've been gradually getting through the DM21 videos on youtube and the time scale boils down to 4 real life days = 1 year in Elyria and each of those 4 real time days will be a different season in Elyria.

Now, if you get into a battle and it takes you a fair amount of time to kill whatever it may be you're fighting, wouldn't something like a 10 minute fight end up being like 2 days in Elyrian time? The only way I can see round it is for the game to suddenly becoming real time during a battle so a single fight doesn't span days. Thoughts?

2/25/2016 3:17:19 PM #1

The day/night cycle is 2.5 hours. 1.5 hours of day and 1 hour of night. There is also some transition period in between, but those are part of that 2.5 hours.

2/25/2016 3:20:30 PM #2

There won't be as many days in a year as in real life, so a battle would have to last something like two and a half hours for a day to pass in-game.

Edit: Deffcon beat me to it.

2/25/2016 3:23:29 PM #3

Ah cool okay, so if I understand it correctly, a battle that takes (going from my first post) 10 minutes in real time is (sort of) scaled down to a couple of minutes in Elyrian time.

2/25/2016 3:24:16 PM #4

there hasn't been much in regards combat yet, and that has been intentional by the dev, however in the last Q&A Caspian said that 2 or 3 well placed hits will incap someone. So damage is going to be realistic. If you hit someone in the head with a club, they'll go down unless they have a helm on. If you have an armour piercing crossbow/bolt, 1 shot will probably do it, so a 1v1 fight won't be 10mins unless there is a lot of running away, infact a 10min fight will be somewhat epic or both people are heavily armoured with feathers.

Also if a 10 min fight lasted 2 ingame days, how would you notice in the grand scheme of things. If a light/dark cycle was uber realistic, then sure, but it won't be because you'll have a forever flashing screen and shadows will always change causing fps to drop, etc etc. But your character will still age 2 ingame days right? take 2 photos of yourself 2 days apart, can you notice yourself aging?

All being said though, your obviously going to have to suspend belief and let yourself be absorbed but the game, just as you would any other game.

2/25/2016 3:30:16 PM #5

Ah awesome okay, this helped me get my head round the mechanics of it a little more. I think I need to look at it more as a survival game rather than a typical MMO! I know they're making it as real as possible and I know belief does have to be suspended with any game, that's the fun of them! I just wasn't sure how far they were taking things :P Cheers! :D

2/25/2016 3:34:45 PM #6

Now that I have a little bit more time Ill post this.

Elyrian time:

• 2.5 Real Life Hours = 1 Elyrian Day
  • 100 Real Life Hours = 1 Elyrian Year

Elyria doesnt really have a week or month measurement, so you have to think of it in the scale of days and years.

Also, each Real Life Day is one Elyrian Season.

4/30/2017 7:02:55 AM #7

I'm kind of liking the idea of starting a fight during the day and both fighters being so good it lasts into the night. Almost romanticizes combat!

My referral code is 1AF8FD