COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
why is the map generation taking so long?

Before summer they said they hoped to do map voting in early summer and domain/settlement selection in late summer but summer is almost over and clearly neither of those are happening in the next couple of weeks.

I mean I just wanna know what's the hangup. and why they waited until now to even start making the map generation tool.

8/15/2018 1:17:12 PM #16

Posted By Snipehunter at 4:57 PM - Tue Aug 14 2018

(...)Caspian, as head of the company, plays a role in just about everything. Some folks also donated their spare time to the event(...)

As for Caspian, I understand that he is wearing many hats, but as such he is working on map generation as well. So every hour he spent on the game is one hour less spent on map generation and the game. As for spare time, it's a little tricky to understand that, when the game is that far behind in it's development schedule, spare time couldn't be spent better on different topics. Please don't get me me wrong, but that's an impression one could get when reading what is going on.

Sage willing to help with Purity (if you spot me on Discord and have some Plague on your account that could be nullified with a trade, drop me a message on Discord)

8/15/2018 2:06:59 PM #17

Posted By Logain at 9:17 PM - Wed Aug 15 2018

Posted By Snipehunter at 4:57 PM - Tue Aug 14 2018

(...)Caspian, as head of the company, plays a role in just about everything. Some folks also donated their spare time to the event(...)

As for Caspian, I understand that he is wearing many hats, but as such he is working on map generation as well. So every hour he spent on the game is one hour less spent on map generation and the game. As for spare time, it's a little tricky to understand that, when the game is that far behind in it's development schedule, spare time couldn't be spent better on different topics. Please don't get me me wrong, but that's an impression one could get when reading what is going on.

How many more times does someone have to point out that the "development schedule" most people are referring to is not the anticipated completion date, but commencement date for development?

With that in mind, you will actually find that SBS is actually on-schedule and even if they are falling behind a little, a development schedule is an estimation, it is NOT written in stone.

As with any project in life, not just limited to game or software development, there are always delays at some stage. Sometimes developers manage to catch up, often they do not. It is the nature of things because no one has a crystal ball to see in to the future and foresee absolutely every conceivable variable that may impact on time.

There are also a myriad of reasons why an schedule may be abruptly altered on the fly without notice, either in anticipation of a previously unanticipated situation, or in reaction to one, especially when previously unknown information becomes available.

8/15/2018 2:28:43 PM #18

Posted By HajimeSaito at 4:06 PM - Wed Aug 15 2018

(...)How many more times does someone have to point out that the "development schedule" most people are referring to is not the anticipated completion date, but commencement date for development?(...)

I was not talking about that 'schedule', but about their first 'release date schedule' of 2017 on their Kickstarter page FAQ and in Q&As.

Posted By HajimeSaito at 4:06 PM - Wed Aug 15 2018

(...) a development schedule is an estimation, it is NOT written in stone (...) there are always delays at some stage. Sometimes developers m,manage to catch up, often they do not(...)

Yes, I would never claim otherwise. I understand that, and I am not arguing that. But it is easier to catch up when you focus on the minimal viable product instead of a side-game.

Sage willing to help with Purity (if you spot me on Discord and have some Plague on your account that could be nullified with a trade, drop me a message on Discord)

8/15/2018 2:54:34 PM #19

Posted By Logain at 06:17 AM - Wed Aug 15 2018

I can't and won't speak for Caspian's time, since each of us handles the work differently just by virtue of being human beings and not worker-robots. However, I will say that how I spend my time outside of work is up to me, no one else. :) Since it's the time I should be spending as downtime - time to relax and enjoy - I'll put that time where I please, even back into work to help out efforts I can't spend time on during normal production. If I spent that time working on the same production work I do every day, I'd just burn out quickly, and no one -- especially the community -- benefits from that. This particular time around that meant writing lore and consulting for the outlook team. Other times that's meant prototyping systems or tackling other challenges ahead of schedule just as you're suggesting, but that just wasn't where the studio's need was, this time.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
8/15/2018 4:53:13 PM #20

Yea, I feel a few people do not understand this type of work mentality.

I am a General Manager, I schedule myself the hours I am allotted to be at work. Doing work stuffs, making sure that the business is flowing for the day, and working on upper management task. But, I also work on non-scheduled time to do extra things. I work on areas that I believe need improvement that I would not normally have time for if I was a scheduled part of the team that day.

So I schedule myself 50 hours a week. And I work 70 hours a week. This is the difference between working at a job and running a business.

8/15/2018 7:50:04 PM #21

I know some of you team members are more devoted about making paper star charts, others in creating maps, others in answering our problems on the forum and you do a good job. I really would appreciate if you all introduced yourself a bit better and what you are doing or why not a "who is doing what introduction" or a "who's who" presentation chart.

Like Snipehunter "hey, I created the star maps but I'm also the biggest forum troll" :D

I also like the idea of making plagues etc to test some biomes/races to decide about abilities but maybe announce it as being "vital" to the players and not like a kind of "what"s this about" or we will all end up as leeches and vampires and undead.

8/16/2018 2:19:36 AM #22

Posted By Logain at 12:28 AM - Thu Aug 16 2018

I was not talking about that 'schedule', but about their first 'release date schedule' of 2017 on their Kickstarter page FAQ and in Q&As.

Now I know you are trolling, for only a troll would quote a date on KS as fact. Cause if you aren't trolling there is only one option left.

8/16/2018 3:57:12 AM #23

Two things to keep in mind, one minor and one major...

A Head of Production isn't really part of the mapping team, or textures, or lore, or.... anything. It makes them the glue that binds everyone else. (An architect doesn't build their own building but they do consult intimately with every contractor building it for them). If they say they're working with one team it really doesn't mean another is getting neglected, that other team already knows what they need to do and are getting down to business.

Now the Major thing to keep in mind. I know I'm new here only having just recently (unfortunately) discovered the game but... Please don't become inpatient and harass the designers and production company. Ubisoft was once my favorite production company with Heroes of Might and Magic 3&4 possibly two of my all time favorite games. However, due to strict release schedules and horrendous Intellectual Property Protection (IPP) Ubisoft destroyed some of their leading titles and alienated their community. Lets not act like impatient and greedy publishing companies, we're better than that.

I know many of us have invested in Kick Starter and In Development programs that have failed us or gone bust but I truly don't feel that is a concern here. The pledge community is vast, the developer feedback great and the value of the unfinished event engine alone is to much for a gaming staff to walk away from. Be patient, Alpha will start when it's ready and that's when a more realistic timeline comes into play. After having devoured as much information as time allows in the last week I'd be surprised if CoE released in 18 months with 2 years being more realistic. It's uncommon for any Alpha or Beta testing to last less than 3 months so that puts a year on the table straight up. Instead of worrying about that time look at it like this. Think to yourself "What can I accomplish in the next 1-2 years so that when CoE makes it live, I can forfeit real life and become my avatar for real!"

Plague My Flesh

Purify My Soul

I do not mean to pry, but you don't by any chance happen to have six fingers on your right hand? - The Princess Bride. Inigo Montoya

8/16/2018 3:12:27 PM #24

This is an official date release post on the game not so long ago.

July-September 2017 – Version 3 Update of the Official Website (updated graphics, UI design and new front-end)

October-December 2017 – ElyriaMUD Release

January-April 2018 – Alpha 1 Release – Server Selection

May-August 2018 – Settlement / Domain Selection – KoE (Kingdoms of Elyria)

September-December 2018 – Design Experiences – Alpha 2 Release

January-June 2019 – Beta 1 Release – Prologue Release – CoE Adventure Toolkit – Exposition Begins

July-December 2019 – Beta 2 Release – Stress Test (available to any paid account) – Official Launch

8/16/2018 3:50:07 PM #25

Posted By Kaith at 01:12 AM - Fri Aug 17 2018

This is an official date release post on the game not so long ago.

July-September 2017 – Version 3 Update of the Official Website (updated graphics, UI design and new front-end)

October-December 2017 – ElyriaMUD Release

January-April 2018 – Alpha 1 Release – Server Selection

May-August 2018 – Settlement / Domain Selection – KoE (Kingdoms of Elyria)

September-December 2018 – Design Experiences – Alpha 2 Release

January-June 2019 – Beta 1 Release – Prologue Release – CoE Adventure Toolkit – Exposition Begins

July-December 2019 – Beta 2 Release – Stress Test (available to any paid account) – Official Launch

Oh my god, that was never an official release date. That was when they would be starting to work on things.

But even if it was, shit happens. Is there a game company out there where shit doesn't happen? And everything runs completely smooth the whole time?

People really need to move on from any dates said. Things will get released when they are ready. Or do people want some NMS event? Where people can't wait for things to be ready.

8/16/2018 4:25:48 PM #26

Kaith, where are you getting this information? Can you link to the post? AFAIK there has never been any official release date schedule available. Only periods of time that SBS anticipates starting work on a project.

8/16/2018 5:26:16 PM #27

@Kaith

The portion of the timeline that was conveniently left out...

To that end, below is an approximate schedule - not of when we expect the work to be complete - but when we expect to be under active development toward a particular deliverable or milestone. Providing a timeline in this format allows us to have an open, transparent, candid conversation about what and when we're working on something, while still giving us the freedom to make changes sprint-to-sprint and change the dates of our internal milestones to suit our development needs.

Source

8/16/2018 6:12:59 PM #28

I think we are fighting a losing battle guys (and girls).

People never let the facts get in the way of an ill-conceived opinion, especially when they have their own agenda or an axe to grind!

8/17/2018 3:37:36 AM #29

I would hardly say it's a losing battle. Though there's a lot of variance in where people are read up to (and what they do and don't read on the topics they do research), most of the community seems to be on the same page.

Kaith, the very post you quoted from also has a rather lengthy explanation of several things related to the development process, one of which being the cone of uncertainty. Lacking the ability to quote it directly (though the section I'm referring to is literally right under the timeline you referenced in the original post), the long and short of it is that it gets easier to predict exactly when something will be finished when you're close to finishing it, and harder to predict the longer/more work there is before finishing.

The dates you posted were a tentative estimate based on what knowledge and progress the team had made at the time, and of course part of the uncertainty of early development is that things will change, take more or less time than estimated, and generally not behave in as orderly a fashion as any observer would like. That said, the work's being done pretty fast for an indie development team. Particularly one that's going to self-publish. Each stage of development is taking the time it does to finish because it has to. They care about the quality of the end product, which is more than a lot of developers in the market can say at present.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

8/17/2018 8:39:54 PM #30

Posted By HajimeSaito at 1:12 PM - Thu Aug 16 2018

I think we are fighting a losing battle guys (and girls).

People never let the facts get in the way of an ill-conceived opinion, especially when they have their own agenda or an axe to grind!

The point is not to force the person to admit that they are wrong, but to ensure that people new to the community, who might read this thread, do not get the wrong idea about this game and its developers.

I think the posts above have done a pretty good job of that.