COMMUNITY - FORUMS - TRIBES
Cross genetics in intertribe children.

I understand marriage and child contracts are not limited to your tribe. This begs to question, what will happen to the genetics of the children? For me I hope to have a family from combining kypiq and brudvir. I understand the brudvir aren’t typically allowed into the great forest, but kypiq could go to the brudvir. My question is if I combine these two genetics will I get various traits from both tribes? Is there some type of random system that will assign the physical or skill traits, or is it a set prearranged equation with traits that cancle out?

9/16/2018 8:15:33 PM #1

All of the tribes are created using the same model, and they use mmo character style sliders to stretch and squash that one universal model into the different tribes. Each tribe has different constraints for the sliders, so a brudvir has a different range of overall body sizes than a kypiq does, for example. Both are still on the same slider, though, it's just that they are constrained to different parts of it.

When a child is created, it gets its own ranges for the slider based on both parents.

With a kypiq-brudvir hybrid, this could get a bit interesting because of the massive difference in size. Maybe it would split the difference, or maybe each child would swing wildly in either direction.

We do know that the tribal specific abilities will be either be tied to a certain slider, or have their own slider. The Janoan ability to swing arm over arm through the trees is tied to how long their arms are, while things like environmental resistance have their own slider. Your kids will be more resistant to cold than a full kipiq, but not as resistant as a full brudvir.

There are also traits that you either inherit, or do not inherit. The brudvir canines are one of these, some of your children may have them, and others will not.

9/16/2018 9:30:39 PM #2

now you got me thinking about how a kypiq/brudvir relationship would look. i'd agree with kyre on most of this. I imagine that some of your kids will get really lucky with the genetics, though what you count as lucky depends on you. I personally picture someone looking like a slightly taller kypiq getting great resistance to cold to be a great genetic draw while a brudvir that has no cold resistance to be rather unlucky.

all in all, I think it'll be a roll of the dice

Mighty gear for the Mighty Menn

9/16/2018 11:42:39 PM #3

Although, if it's too random for each and every attribute, you could get a child that looks really weird, with odd proportions or facial features. It has to have some logic to it.

9/17/2018 12:14:31 AM #4

...and now kyre has me thinking of a kypiq with some huge thick brudvir arms

Mighty gear for the Mighty Menn

9/17/2018 8:14:25 AM #5

I've been slowly acquiring my own group of players to join me in Elyria. Some life circumstances have kept me out of the Elyrian community for a while now, but I'm keenly interested in cultivating a predominately Dras & Brudvir lineage within my town. I love the imagined combination of both physical aesthetics and cultural intermingling.

9/18/2018 2:38:42 PM #6

Posted By Pieoflords at 9/17/2018 12:14:31 AM

...and now kyre has me thinking of a kypiq with some huge thick brudvir arms

you are welcome.

10/2/2018 4:28:53 PM #7

Do we know anything from SBS about the likelihoods of certain traits being (or not being!) passed on in a mixed parentage birth? I want to start as a Kypiq/Neran-born child to - hopefully - get the best of each line? OR is there any previous info re if it be more helpful to start with (say) both parents as Neran first, live through that character, and then pass those traits/genetics into a Kypiq child eventually? Which way of birth might be more likely to succeed? Or is it just a dice toss?

Physician, Alchemist & Herbalist to the Duchy of Anor, Al-Khezam - Selene (EU) Server

10/2/2018 7:39:19 PM #8

Won't the Brudvir just eat the Kypiq though? Nevermind conceiving a child with one. :p

10/2/2018 7:50:16 PM #9

The information we have on this subject is quite old from the video Q&A's, but basically Kyre summed it up in the second post.

You are unlikely to get all the positive effects of both bloodlines, but there is variation which allows for change across numerous generations.

Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter backer #2!

10/2/2018 8:40:20 PM #10

Some hybrids will be worth it and some probably wont be. Some hybrids might end up being more boring and have less bonuses than Neran.

10/2/2018 11:10:05 PM #11

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Might still just 'go for it' the once and see how it turns out. If I turn out with some negative genetics, well, I've been forewarned. I'll see if I can better myself in other ways - skills, equipment, family, whatever... Plenty of time yet to chat it over with my Discord and forums. Once we start actually playing, we'll all have a lot more experience to draw on and share.

Physician, Alchemist & Herbalist to the Duchy of Anor, Al-Khezam - Selene (EU) Server

10/3/2018 12:46:16 AM #12

Just remember, none of us are experts in this. It's all pretty much a guessing game at this point. If there is some combination that sparks your imagination, then keep it in mind and perhaps you will have a chance to tinker with that in the future.

10/3/2018 1:11:35 AM #13

Faithless, renegades, rebels, and non-conformists are most likely to break tribal traditions to procreate children with members of other tribes. Since those four terms probably apply to a significant majority of gamers, there should be plenty of attempts to do so. The probability of doing so, IIRC, will depend on preferred biomes being close to each other. For that reason, Brudvir/Dras matings will be harder to achieve (i.e., harder to find a location to spark a child of such a mating) than, for example, Neran/Hrothi matings. Also, because of the "black sheep" label that at least one of the parents are likely to have acquired, the social class of the child might make it difficult for that child to acquire the skills that the player desires for it.

This is somewhat tangential to the topic, but it should be recognized that finding a suitable location and situation to spark a crossbreed might be more of a problem than getting good attributes from a crossbreed.

10/3/2018 11:42:39 AM #14

I'm not particularly into Role-Play but had that sort of justification ready for mixed parentage in my head. I also know people IRL who've married a foreigner, and hear of their background 'stories' indicating similar non-conformity! Thanks all.