COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Pros and Cons that I see

Well here I go again. Bring in the dislikes :D

First off a small correction that I have seen a lot people say: I want this game to come out. I fever for it since I discovered it back in 2016. This WOULD be the perfect game for me. I always loved a less "arcady" way of doing games. And I come from some RP background. So nearly everything this game promises, gets me hyped up. So saying I'm a stick in the mud, when I try to talk about potential problems/flaws I want this game to avoid (griefing not beeing taken seriously by the devs, because you can "deal with it ingame"; too many/few players around, making this game either too crowded or too empty and so on and so forth). This is the reason why I always talk negative stuff. There are hundrets of people discussing what they want to do in the game we know nothing about. (OVERLY DRAMATIC! Yes we know a lot. But we haven't ACTUALLY seen it in action) Hundrets of people hyping the game, saying how great it is, and hundrets of players paying good money to bring this game to life.

And if a game is THIS popular and well liked, I always feel like I have to be devils advocate, just because others may not want to be. I'm not retarded and I have read pretty much every dev journal and a lot of the streams. I know what they SAY. But I want to step back and give you guys some well needed criticism of this game, not to ruin your fun, but so that the game (and its players) avoid certain pitfalls. There have been lots of games that have been hyped with no end, and in the end, it was a complete mess. (NMS, Albion Online, and older games like fable 3)

So here I'll give some very packed pros (for all of you that hate me, just so you see how much i love this gameidea) and cons. Feel free to downvote and insult me. But please read the negatives AS WELL as the positives, since I feel it is very much needed. Oh and I did not go as much into detail in the positives, just because I feel like everyone is going to agree with that anyways.

PROs:

+insanely active and loyal fanbase if they would ask you guys to finance 500k more for this game to be finished, I don't doubt for a second, that this will happen one way or another.

+a very dedicated devteam, that really wants to get their game out there, not even budging down from any obstacle in their way.

+the gameidea and everything that it entails (from realistic trading/prices/supply,demand/ to the world beeing so huge that traders will actually earn money and all those details of running a city, getting a house, crafting and so on and soforth

Everything seems to be very nearly thoughtout and is well connected in a world that feels alive and gives you all the options

+very good communication between devs and the community. Something one doesn't see very often these days. Be it via discord or forums and streams. While I think that they should also release NDAs to everyone who has already purchased the game, this is their desciciopn and I respect that.

+The lore and the world itself is already as much thoughtout as something like Harry Potter, famous for its backstory and lore. It feelks like an actual place that could exist on another planet.

+Its a new type of MMO not really seen before (closest titles that come to my mind are albion online and some other very small, never to be released titles). This CAN make a revolution of the current, stale MMORPG market, if they play their cards right. (regular contentupdates will make this game jump to an even higher spot by default)

+the mechanics (if implemented like I have read it) are awesome. The continuous story, with heirs, the skillprogression, the crafting beeing skillbased, deviancy, townmanagement, and all the potential for nice interactions as well as offlinescripts and more. LOVE IT.

+(maybe added lateron)

CONs:

-toxic community. *

-nothing of value has been shown. Everything we have seen was concept art and a demo that was basically makebelief and has nothing to do with the endproduct. And while there are plenty of explanations for this, and I do believe at least some of them (new way of developing and so on), it DOES leave a bad taste in everyones mouth who wants SOMETHING. ANYTHING to be shown off working. (not to mention the delays in alphareleases dont help, even if those are explained as well)

-new concepts bring new obstacles not yet faced before. examples include, but aren't limited to:

huge world, making player to player interactions a rarity (for the commonfolk without discord or teamspeak)

new playerskill based crafting and progression, making it so that players with less time or slower reflexes wont be as successful, even after long periods of time

and not to forget that if every promise is made due, the servers will probably be hotter then the sun (thousands of playerscripts+ thousands of npc scripts,+ realistic fauna reproducing and stuff+ realistic flora, meaning every tree has to be calculated, because it is no static world+ more and more features that will take a lot of processing power from the servers even if run on 1000 servers, this MIGHT prove to much.

-too much wishing and dreaming going on in the forums. I am actually guilty of this myself. Since I have always dreamt of such a game, I often start daydreaming about what I will do, once this is out. But we don't know anything. While we do have the basics, we don't know how they will be programmed in and how they will interact with other features. What I want to say is: nearly everything we dream of, will most likely be impossible or at least not only partially be possible. I said it a lot and I say it again:

this game WILL NOT be the dreamgame you wish it to be. Otherwise they have to make a million different versions of this game :D Everyone has different thoughts, dreams and plans for this game. So take a step back and try to talk to people outside of this forum to see potential flaws, pitfalls and different viewpoints on this product.

-TOO many features got announced. I still can not see for the life of me, how they plan to introduce such a massive scale mmo, with so many features without a AAA budget. I feel like features will get left out... or at least: feel unfinished/polished and barebones... "Like butter, scraped over too much bread" LotR™

-(maybe added lateron)

*While a dedicated community is the bread and butter for an "indie"game, a toxic one can drive away potential backers AND lateron, players. While you here in the forum might not have seen it or discarded it, most of the youtube comments and articles have been quite negative, describing the people here as a "cultist like following". And while I think that definatly goes too far, I can see the resemblence of people on here acting similarly to the backers of Starcitizen. Blowing away any and all criticism, insulting and ganglike defending of the product. While in starcitizen, you can't actually get your opinion out there without it beeing demolished by 10 or more fans, this game has at least some potential to do that. A lot of logical people who try to see both sides, but also a lot of people ignoring everything that was said to compromise and bashing the poster. (and if not that, simply downvoting it without giving criticism)

edit please keep in mind, that you will never get the whole explanation and reasoning via forumsdiscussions and if you are interested in my points you'll have to talk to me via discord or teamviewer. (I should probably make this my Signature :D)

10/14/2018 3:12:58 PM #1

So just asking, why should I dislike your post? You are taking the time to honestly give your opinion on the game in its current state.

Have to say your pros are points to agree one. But still interested in your cons.

Toxic community, sure all communities have their toxic parts some more than others. But I get why you see it that way.

There are some short videos about the engine at work. So lets agree to disagree on this one. Dont get me wrong I agree on the point that there isnt anything solid to work with atm. Which I find normal with a game in prealpha stadium.

Dont really see this point as a con, the market, not only in gaming, is all about finding the "holes" thats what SBS is doing. Is it time consuming? Yes. Could it fail? Yes. But its also a leap alot of people dared to make.

About the serverload, thats a big hurdle to take but it has been done before. Ok its on a smaller scale but its possible.

Can you dream to much, hmmm dreams are just things we didnt achieve yet.

Anyway in my honest opinion its not bad if the developers see which concerns their playerbase has. This way they can take a look at it and maybe find a solution to the problem.

10/14/2018 3:16:01 PM #2

This must be your first rodeo if you think this community is toxic. We get a troll here and there but I'd say this is a very healthy community.

Everyone is allowed their own opinion though.

Alt text - can be left blank

10/14/2018 3:19:34 PM #3

I think if you dive a bit deeper into the forums, you will find a few of us have absolutely no qualms calling out bullshit from SbS when we feel it is deserved. (if you can deal looking through all the false results from this shitty search engine, search my name for some examples)

10/14/2018 3:23:17 PM #4

Posted By Viktoriusiii at

and not to forget that if every promise is made due, the servers will probably be hotter then the sun (thousands of playerscripts+ thousands of npc scripts,+ realistic fauna reproducing and stuff+ realistic flora, meaning every tree has to be calculated, because it is no static world+ more and more features that will take a lot of processing power from the servers even if run on 1000 servers, this MIGHT prove to much.

Ark: Survival Evolved is a pretty good example of this. Back in Early Access the server would lag very, very, very bad. They went through so many optimization runs and ended up limiting the amount of creatures you could keep. There were tribes (myself included) that were keeping thousands of creatures for breeding, for egg farms and for just fun. Their map is a lot smaller and the amount of people on the servers is a lot less, Their servers are constantly at cap and people cannot breed. One of the biggest complaints in that game currently.

*While a dedicated community is the bread and butter for an "indie"game, a toxic one can drive away potential backers AND lateron, players.

I agree 100%. I just shake my head when I see posts saying "Well this game isn't for you, go find something else!" the moment someone mentions that they dislike open world pvp. If the community was as nice as they thought, they would have said "Well come join our town and we will help teach you the fine art of PvP!". I mean, seriously.... back in the old days do you think all the townsfolk picked up a pitchfork and ran off into battle? No! There were people that hated fighting, but were damn good at their craft!

10/14/2018 4:24:22 PM #5

As someone usually opposing you in these here forums, I want to clarify that not once have a given you a dislike because I disagree with views on anything, and I feel that goes for most people arguing their points as well.

Going to try to keep this brief because honestly who reads every single long reply to a thread like this, lol.

You're points are all valid, but I disagree with most of them. For some reason you think that everyone is being too optimistic about the game and then your cons are all centered around pessimism. It is like you are just trying to get people to be jaded about the possibility of the game being amazing, and I for one refuse to do this.

I recognize that many things can fall flat, or are not balanced, or rely heavily upon the community to not be horrible and toxic. That is exactly why we support it with such fervor. If we give up on the game before it starts it is lost. Who's to say the servers will fail until stress testing? Who's to say crafting is too hard until Alpha? There is always the potential for things to go wrong, but we back it because we believe in the studio, the community, and the premise of the game.

10/14/2018 4:28:57 PM #6

Posted By Labbe at 12:24 PM - Sun Oct 14 2018

For some reason you think that everyone is being to optimistic about the game

most of the community are too optimistic - they see everything through rose colored glasses and attack anyone who points out flaws and what we feel are bad decisions

just reinforces the fact that we need to voice negative opinions much more often

10/14/2018 4:49:04 PM #7

Posted By Sanguinesh Eviscerator at 09:28 AM - Sun Oct 14 2018

most of the community are too optimistic - they see everything through rose colored glasses and attack anyone who points out flaws and what we feel are bad decisions

just reinforces the fact that we need to voice negative opinions much more often

I guess you can say I have rose colored glasses on. It is partially intentional as I feel like it is a good balance to the pessimism.

By all means voice negative opinions. Well constructed discussion can only help the game long run, and if the entire player base agrees something is no good, but no one voices it, then the opinion will never be heard.

10/14/2018 5:16:28 PM #8

This post is a lot more fleshed out than the other thread's OP, I feel. I'll preface this by saying there's absolutely nothing wrong with playing devil's advocate. If some of us come across angry or aggressive, it's likely because we see the same points being raised a lot with a fair few people either not reading the available info on the game or actively shitstirring rather than angling for discussion of the topic at hand. And I apologise in advance for the wall of text. It happens a lot more frequently than I would like >.>

I'm largely in the same boat as Labbe on this one: I feel much of what you're saying is valid, but not necessarily correct.

One thing I partially agree on is that the vast majority of people watching the game's development are hanging on fumes. I wouldn't say nothing of value has been shown - though small, the asset and art updates we're getting are marks of progress, as are the progress updates as each stage of development is cleared. But the game gained too much popularity far too early in its development process to sustain most of its fanbase. Nobody's fault in particular - it's an excellent concept map with a lot of potential, and once people get into the documents it looks very appealling. It's hard not to be excited about what the game might be. But it does mean that there's a lot of expectations riding on the game that may not turn out to be realistic or warranted, and that CoE's got a hype train that would be more suited to an early beta game showcasing its full base featureset and ironing out bugs than a game only just closing up pre-alpha. This inevitably leads to a lot of polarisation between the people who are confident the game will succeed with its current design plan and the people who are terrified of it falling apart and turning into a shitshow. Not much can really be done about that until we get to test the game, unfortunately. Speculation is all we have to go on in the meantime.

Regarding players with less time/slower reflexes, the main point I'd raise with this is that while they're not going to be as successful, they'll still be able to play and enjoy the game. They might not, say, be able to push for masterwork/legendary status (not, at least, within the first few years of play; masterwork might be achievable at least with good enough skill ramps on a soul), but that doesn't mean they won't be able to become accomplished in their craft and at least float themselves in the economy in some capacity. Even if you're not pushing out noble-quality weapons and armour as a smith, for example, plain weapons and armour, and general miscellania (horseshoes, nails, and the like) are never going to not be in demand.

The server load is one of my bigger points of concern as well. SbS initially had a pretty workable solution for this in Improbable's networking engine, and I'm very curious to see how their substitutes perform in its place, and how running the game on the cloud affects its ability to handle such a massive backend load. Before SpatialOS was revealed during the Kickstarter as the team's answer to the networking problem, this was the main thing that concerned me about the game's potential to succeed, and some of that doubt persists now that it's no longer going to be used.

Regarding overblown wishing/dreaming: Yep. Pretty much all of us have been overhyped about what we're seeing at some point or another. And of course, a lot of people foresee their own ideal in the game's future, where the end result will likely be different from what most of us imagine. Speculation is rife, and until the game's playable that's likely not going to change.

Regarding the featureset... I'm confident most of it will be in at launch - but also fairly confident that, as a result of that, the game's launch date's going to be pushed back pretty far beyond the existing estimate. The game is still pulling a decent amount of crowdfunding through the shop and the events SbS is running. Whether this will be enough or not, time will tell.

The main thing I'd stress is that most of us who answer on these topics semi-regularly aren't doing so out of blind faith in the game's success. We know the game's potentially going to flop. Many of us have been watching the project develop since (or before) the kickstarter, though. We know how SbS approaches complications and challenges, and our stances are in part based in what we've seen of their responses to those challenges. Nobody's expecting a miracle. But we're pretty confident we're going to see a product of quality. And if not, if the game does flop... the precedent has been set. The next person to take up the mantle of producing this kind of MMO (a game that actually fits the label) will know what went wrong, and what was good. And so, one way or another, we're supporting progress in a stale genre that really, really needs someone in this corner making something new and exciting.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

10/14/2018 7:32:16 PM #9

This is a better opener and I've upvoted it together with Labbe's and Wolfguarde's.

Not going to quote as there's a huge amount of text in thread as it is but this (Wolfguarde) : "we're supporting progress in a stale genre that really, really needs someone corner making something new and exciting." is the absolute truth.

Lastly, as someone who definitely falls into the category of having slower reflexes, it's an issue for sure and I'd normally play melee classes but for games with PvP I always play ranged so that I can at least contribute in group play. Personally I prefer games with consensual PvP simply because those games with open world combat in a fantasy setting all seem to fail horribly. I think this is because there are fairly few places in the real world where going about your daily business is likely to get you attacked by random strangers whereas in MMO's the chances are higher by several orders of magnitude.

I am very curious as to how SbS's vision plays out and I am very much hoping for the best whilst fearing the worst.

Town of Brash

10/14/2018 8:53:38 PM #10

Without reading all the posts above, I too am concerned about the capabilities of the server to process the massive amount of code (or whatever it is that servers do to make the game work).

I too experienced Ark's failings, as well as other games (PUBG, Day7, Rust) which sacrificed maximum active players per server and game mechanics to attempt to stabilize servers.

I welcome input if there are experts of IT capabilities that can explain it to a layman. My ray of hope (and one reason I don't mind being so far behind the wishful timeline/schedule) is that everyday technology gets better. Every year servers get more efficient, optimization methods develop, and I'm sure stuff I know nothing about. Even if the game takes another two years to be fully released, that's two years of technological advances creating a product that is truly enjoyable that we players can play for years.

10/14/2018 11:19:04 PM #11

@Kelipski About server infrastructure, you just have to imagine that game servers are like a huge online marketplace, with a lot going on like plenty of secure transactions, demands on price or details, etc...

Another example, any decent internet domain hosting service, or registar, have technologies in place to handle sites of big and small companies in numbers, their employees and worldwide customers.

Basically the technology to handle such high demands is there since more than 25 years: a page nowadays exchange more and more easily than an entire site web back then. And understand that when a game release, it is already outdated in terms of technology, tech that was maybe state-of-the-art when it was integred into the game years before.

Network-wise, process-wise, technology-wise: all is in the green... but there are very few actors that create/provide engines dedicated to game development or hosting... Improbable was one of the few that had some legit success already.

Unreal provide a whole game engine but cater more to the graphical solo experience, and to my lesser knowledge, never did much for the multiplayer genres.

Except maybe a basic lobby and server list... that you find as is in many games since there is no one with the job skills or time to get under the hood.

Publishers don't help... they are as clueless as always. You may remember a recent game of swormanship with three factions, required online gameplay, no bargain price, a hefty paying season pass, and still took an eternity to have servers of its own. Until then, it was peer to peer on the customer machines, like the first multiplayer titles (DOOM, Quake, etc..) decades ago.

Back to SbS, main problem is the size, not of what they want to do (it is largely feasable, bitcoin ,trade market, online market during black friday... there are plenty stuff you can experience smoothly and are way more challenging).

But the size of their team, and budget, they are already quite numerous (around 25-30) to make the game and systems they need... but they would need a dedicated team for a couple years just to develop that top network and data engine. And also have external customers to maximize rentability, and some real tests to tweak and proof it.

So like always, they will have to play smart, try to make it happen with libraries and existing bricks and a limited crew: check client and server programers in the team, they are the ones with that make-it-or-break-it pressure at the moment.

They did miracles in the past, this website and forums was almost made from scratch, and is probably a daily test of a good chunk of their game hosting infrastructure. Sadly, as they seem to be spread thin, they don't have the human resources to finish its overhaul, a v3 that was planned some years ago (times fly by) when the game had another schedule.

Also you may remember how they did a live test very recently, with players "plaguing" their character event and contracts databases with requests at regular peak times for an entire month or so.

It went rather smoothly, only one major hiccup at the end of the first week, promptly corrected, it could have been worse for a first rodeo; yet the performance at reset time was quite subpar. All in all, they must have learned a lot with that experiment, it was a smart move.

The good news is that the network engine will integrate better, like no other really, with their proprietary narrative engine.

The bad news is that they may intricate it too much to swap it when something goes wrong or a new player enters with a solution on a silver plate (we can still be dreaming).

A partnering investor would indeed be welcomed, be it technical skills or raw cash, so that the team (and us as well) would have lesser concerns.

I'm not even considering failure as a possibility or an option for the network code, since I don't think the game would be able to recover from such a blow... at least it would be the first of its genre to do a successful come back.

Seems wrong to end on such an ominous note, so lets throw another two cents about when retro-fitting the design.

SbS have access to the tech, and they enlisted old souls with a good range of skill ramps and a ton of knowledges, so everything they do, they do it more effectively than any average or better studio, even if it is a one-of-a-kind job... or maybe because it is such. :)

We've been shown (glimpse I agree with OP, enough for keeping trusting folks, not well enough to bring new bloods) when the cursor is set on "Research" (aka the concepts and shinies) at their crafting station, and we're looking forward to check the results after it is switched to "Production".

Ahoy, on to map selection!

Kurugi [A5D079]

10/15/2018 5:56:28 AM #12

I can mostly agree with everything you said OP. But you can't really take much of anything from the forums. What's the statistic? Something like 5-10%? Only come onto the forums.

It really just comes down to the topic itself, then how the person even writes about it. Like this thread, it's worded fine. No reason to really dislike it. Over some threads, that basically trash the game, saying it will fail but not explaining themselves either.

Or maybe it's just better in general these days. Forums are way more quiet. Then say a year back or longer. Back then, sure people were getting jumped more. But then everyone was more hyped, just found out about it. Wouldn't listen to people trying to bring them down, for whatever reasons.

While reading comments about any game on youtube/facebook etc. People will trash every single game. Trash the communities. Doesn't matter what is it.

Having a balance would be better. At times, it does seem like the forums/discord gets filled with the crowd that SBS can't do no wrong. Yet in kingdom level discords people are unhappy with how things are going. Just not everyone sees a point to publicly sharing their view.

10/15/2018 1:03:41 PM #13

Posted By Labbe at 11:49 AM - Sun Oct 14 2018

Posted By Sanguinesh Eviscerator at 09:28 AM - Sun Oct 14 2018

I guess you can say I have rose colored glasses on. It is partially intentional as I feel like it is a good balance to the pessimism.

By all means voice negative opinions. Well constructed discussion can only help the game long run, and if the entire player base agrees something is no good, but no one voices it, then the opinion will never be heard.

There is something that should be pointed out about unabashed positive feedback. Just as negative feedback needs to be constructive so does positive feedback.

Folks who approach any negative topic or people who defend sbs’s choices without critical thinking or without some skepticism actually hurt the game more than those who throw out random unsupported negative comments.

Things like “this games sucks” are easy to dismiss for us and for the devs. Comments like “CoE will be the best game ever made” are harder to dismiss. Yet both comments are exactly the same just opposite ends of the support spectrum. Neither has anything to support the viewpoint nor does either actually contribute to a discussion. Yet the more positive comment is easy for people to latch onto and especially for SBS they feel vindicated on their current design path even if it isn’t desirable to the mass player base or even feesible.

Bottom line pure negativity is indeed a bad thing but so is unabashed blind support. Blind support leads to a place where SBS listens only to positive feedback and turns the forums into an echo chamber and reinforces poor design decisions.

In short what the forums and indeed the game need isn’t to balance negativity but rather for people to think critically and be realistic in their responses and give SBS useful and honest feedback. Not just a yes-man bobble head response.

10/15/2018 2:01:14 PM #14

This thread was a delight to read, valid points, polite quastions/responce, respecting other views and so on. And it was also the opposit responce the OP belived he/she would get, that is a really good sign.

10/15/2018 2:44:03 PM #15

As Daarco said, a very pleasant surprise so far. I have not made the best experiences when talking sceptically on this forum. And while I feel nearly everything I said before (or at least wanted to say and might got out of hand a bit) was bashed, now it got at least constructive feedback.

I thank you all for your feedback, and while I still think those issues are valid, I at least see why you might not feel that its a problem.