COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Pros and Cons that I see

Well here I go again. Bring in the dislikes :D

First off a small correction that I have seen a lot people say: I want this game to come out. I fever for it since I discovered it back in 2016. This WOULD be the perfect game for me. I always loved a less "arcady" way of doing games. And I come from some RP background. So nearly everything this game promises, gets me hyped up. So saying I'm a stick in the mud, when I try to talk about potential problems/flaws I want this game to avoid (griefing not beeing taken seriously by the devs, because you can "deal with it ingame"; too many/few players around, making this game either too crowded or too empty and so on and so forth). This is the reason why I always talk negative stuff. There are hundrets of people discussing what they want to do in the game we know nothing about. (OVERLY DRAMATIC! Yes we know a lot. But we haven't ACTUALLY seen it in action) Hundrets of people hyping the game, saying how great it is, and hundrets of players paying good money to bring this game to life.

And if a game is THIS popular and well liked, I always feel like I have to be devils advocate, just because others may not want to be. I'm not retarded and I have read pretty much every dev journal and a lot of the streams. I know what they SAY. But I want to step back and give you guys some well needed criticism of this game, not to ruin your fun, but so that the game (and its players) avoid certain pitfalls. There have been lots of games that have been hyped with no end, and in the end, it was a complete mess. (NMS, Albion Online, and older games like fable 3)

So here I'll give some very packed pros (for all of you that hate me, just so you see how much i love this gameidea) and cons. Feel free to downvote and insult me. But please read the negatives AS WELL as the positives, since I feel it is very much needed. Oh and I did not go as much into detail in the positives, just because I feel like everyone is going to agree with that anyways.

PROs:

+insanely active and loyal fanbase if they would ask you guys to finance 500k more for this game to be finished, I don't doubt for a second, that this will happen one way or another.

+a very dedicated devteam, that really wants to get their game out there, not even budging down from any obstacle in their way.

+the gameidea and everything that it entails (from realistic trading/prices/supply,demand/ to the world beeing so huge that traders will actually earn money and all those details of running a city, getting a house, crafting and so on and soforth

Everything seems to be very nearly thoughtout and is well connected in a world that feels alive and gives you all the options

+very good communication between devs and the community. Something one doesn't see very often these days. Be it via discord or forums and streams. While I think that they should also release NDAs to everyone who has already purchased the game, this is their desciciopn and I respect that.

+The lore and the world itself is already as much thoughtout as something like Harry Potter, famous for its backstory and lore. It feelks like an actual place that could exist on another planet.

+Its a new type of MMO not really seen before (closest titles that come to my mind are albion online and some other very small, never to be released titles). This CAN make a revolution of the current, stale MMORPG market, if they play their cards right. (regular contentupdates will make this game jump to an even higher spot by default)

+the mechanics (if implemented like I have read it) are awesome. The continuous story, with heirs, the skillprogression, the crafting beeing skillbased, deviancy, townmanagement, and all the potential for nice interactions as well as offlinescripts and more. LOVE IT.

+(maybe added lateron)

CONs:

-toxic community. *

-nothing of value has been shown. Everything we have seen was concept art and a demo that was basically makebelief and has nothing to do with the endproduct. And while there are plenty of explanations for this, and I do believe at least some of them (new way of developing and so on), it DOES leave a bad taste in everyones mouth who wants SOMETHING. ANYTHING to be shown off working. (not to mention the delays in alphareleases dont help, even if those are explained as well)

-new concepts bring new obstacles not yet faced before. examples include, but aren't limited to:

huge world, making player to player interactions a rarity (for the commonfolk without discord or teamspeak)

new playerskill based crafting and progression, making it so that players with less time or slower reflexes wont be as successful, even after long periods of time

and not to forget that if every promise is made due, the servers will probably be hotter then the sun (thousands of playerscripts+ thousands of npc scripts,+ realistic fauna reproducing and stuff+ realistic flora, meaning every tree has to be calculated, because it is no static world+ more and more features that will take a lot of processing power from the servers even if run on 1000 servers, this MIGHT prove to much.

-too much wishing and dreaming going on in the forums. I am actually guilty of this myself. Since I have always dreamt of such a game, I often start daydreaming about what I will do, once this is out. But we don't know anything. While we do have the basics, we don't know how they will be programmed in and how they will interact with other features. What I want to say is: nearly everything we dream of, will most likely be impossible or at least not only partially be possible. I said it a lot and I say it again:

this game WILL NOT be the dreamgame you wish it to be. Otherwise they have to make a million different versions of this game :D Everyone has different thoughts, dreams and plans for this game. So take a step back and try to talk to people outside of this forum to see potential flaws, pitfalls and different viewpoints on this product.

-TOO many features got announced. I still can not see for the life of me, how they plan to introduce such a massive scale mmo, with so many features without a AAA budget. I feel like features will get left out... or at least: feel unfinished/polished and barebones... "Like butter, scraped over too much bread" LotRâ„¢

-(maybe added lateron)

*While a dedicated community is the bread and butter for an "indie"game, a toxic one can drive away potential backers AND lateron, players. While you here in the forum might not have seen it or discarded it, most of the youtube comments and articles have been quite negative, describing the people here as a "cultist like following". And while I think that definatly goes too far, I can see the resemblence of people on here acting similarly to the backers of Starcitizen. Blowing away any and all criticism, insulting and ganglike defending of the product. While in starcitizen, you can't actually get your opinion out there without it beeing demolished by 10 or more fans, this game has at least some potential to do that. A lot of logical people who try to see both sides, but also a lot of people ignoring everything that was said to compromise and bashing the poster. (and if not that, simply downvoting it without giving criticism)

edit please keep in mind, that you will never get the whole explanation and reasoning via forumsdiscussions and if you are interested in my points you'll have to talk to me via discord or teamviewer. (I should probably make this my Signature :D)

10/15/2018 3:00:09 PM #16

Just a general note from me regarding feedback: In over 25 years of working in our earthly world of manufacturing various commodity materials, I've learned to think in possibilities rather than problems. A basic guideline to keep in mind when providing feedback derived from that perspective, is to always try to present possible improvement options when you wish to point out a flaw, risk, mistake, oversight or shortcoming. That makes life much more pleasant for anyone involved.

10/15/2018 4:14:53 PM #17

Due to the anonymity in this Forum, a lot of people hide behind the rating system without giving a proper response as to why they disagree with a post. I try to follow up a 'dislike' vote with a reason but I wont if the post is general garbage. Now, I don't agree that the following on here is "cultist like" but it's a bit nauseating at times. Nowhere near as insufferable as Star Citizen's following though, nowhere.

10/15/2018 4:41:22 PM #18

A very fair and sincere post, worthy of a 'like' not a dislike. Perhaps your posts were disliked in the past for reasons you have not considered? Perhaps it has nothing to do with being toxic or hateful.

My only issues with the post came from the section about a toxic community. I do not disagree with it, but I also do not agree with it. I'm extremely active on Discord, as I have a nice sized phone that I can prop up near my screen as I work or game... and from my perspective the toxic activity has been significantly diminished over this past year as to have all but disappeared; much to the dismay and boredom of the drama baiters, Hyenas and self-humiliators. As for the forums, I don't see toxic behaviour but I absolutely see A LOT of forum rookies who still don't understand this social platforms format is essentially based around arguments due to its 'turn based' nature. If people are down thumbing you, getting heated and purposely trying to manipulate the situation/put words in your mouth/argue with a strawman they're, 80% of the time, not trying to be toxic but rather trying their best to prop up their position.

Finally, the outsider reviews and the 'cult like community'. As far as ive seen, most reviews have been total garbage and most outsider communities relish the idea of doubting the development teams abilities. Most reviews and communities mistate facts and often resort to strawmaning and/or talking points that rile up the community theyre in so the comment count gets flooded by hatred and endless arguments. This is where I suspect almost all of the toxicity youve absorbed has come from. These people aren't "The Chronicles of Elyria community", theyre bloggers on popular platforms with a following; seperate from the community and not a part of it. All of this being said, it would be dishonest of me to say there isn't a cult like following for this game. But the saving grace in this fact is that the weird behaviour never comes from experienced community members who understand the mechanics of the game but instead the newbies who find themselves neck deep in hype, head canon and 'pledge doubt' after the first week they learn of this games existence.

Anyways,

Appreciate the honest dialogue Viktor, it's refreshing. Wish you well.

10/16/2018 5:56:17 AM #19

I agree with you on budget, most AAA mmo titles have taken 5 to 7 years and cost $250 mil and up to complete.

4 or 5 years on a $5 mil budget with 100x the features seems so overly optimistic its bordering negligent.

I feel like ive gotten a bit of push back for mentioning the money vs ambition topic in the past (i said npc/opc ai will probably suck like it does in seriously every other game... ever unless they get a huge budget. Then people stopped reading and down voted me. Even when in the same post i said that it didnt/wont ruin the game for me as all other games npc ai sucks and all they have to do is be slightly better or the same) but i would say as a whole the community has been really welcoming. During the searing plague event (which i thought was horrible but that's for another discussion) My roommate and I got grouped up with some great and active people at Blackheart on na-w and honestly that's the only reason i'm even still around.

I agree with you on the point of showing biome stills and early armor renders hardly to me count as progress but Meh, i'm patient. I did however think the plan to dump vox and the mud were smart and kinda hyped me that the ambition is not limitless. That post by caspian really made me hyped that this thing has a good chance of making it and the dev team isnt above making agonizing reappraisals of the situation. It also showed a lot of honesty, they know this is ambitious. They know it may be too ambitious. They are partly saying F-it were doing it our way (which i love and respect) and partly saying, lets trim some fat and get a realigned perspective (which i expect from this ambitious of an idea if its actually going to work).

I'm just as hyped as everyone else but i too like to voice flaws when i see them. I'm not much for adding in a "yeah! that sucks" or "wow, amazing!" .02 and i really like the discussion aspect of the forums even if people think i'm being negative.

10/16/2018 1:59:56 PM #20

Posted By Gunnlang at 12:56 AM - Mon Oct 15 2018

I can mostly agree with everything you said OP. But you can't really take much of anything from the forums. What's the statistic? Something like 5-10%? Only come onto the forums.

I'm sorry but I disagree with this statement. The forums are the first place most new members come. If the first thing that they see is toxic or trolling behaviors then they are not likely to join. I mean toxic/trolling as both positive and negative; vehemently opposing any and all criticism, trash-talking any support, or just general trolling.

I do agree with your later statement that it's better today then it has been though. I see a lot of people returning to the forums/discord to join in the conversations. I really think we're returning to more of a community than just a bunch of backers demanding that we get our way. It's very nice to see!

Hope it helps...

10/16/2018 2:49:51 PM #21

Posted By PixiePunchPie at 12:59 AM - Wed Oct 17 2018

I'm sorry but I disagree with this statement. The forums are the first place most new members come.

That's why I wish SBS would update their dam forums already. The search feature is so crap. Info is mostly all over the place, noted from the countless threads from newcomers that can't find simple info.

But all that aside, I was mostly meaning. While sure new people come here first. They soon find their way to discord, knowing it's way easier to find out anything. Not many people really stay here.

10/16/2018 8:20:49 PM #22

Posted By Gunnlang at 10:49 AM - Tue Oct 16 2018

Posted By PixiePunchPie at 12:59 AM - Wed Oct 17 2018

I'm sorry but I disagree with this statement. The forums are the first place most new members come.

That's why I wish SBS would update their dam forums already. The search feature is so crap. Info is mostly all over the place, noted from the countless threads from newcomers that can't find simple info.

But all that aside, I was mostly meaning. While sure new people come here first. They soon find their way to discord, knowing it's way easier to find out anything. Not many people really stay here.

Agreed. As has been discussed before, the forums, and the website as a whole, is not very user-friendly or transparent when it comes to finding info.

Still, they have told us they are updating the forums, and I imagine the website itself will continuously iterate, especially as we get closer to the game actually launching.

Imgur

10/17/2018 2:05:34 AM #23

Posted By Marovec at 07:20 AM - Wed Oct 17 2018

Still, they have told us they are updating the forums, and I imagine the website itself will continuously iterate, especially as we get closer to the game actually launching.

Someday, they keep pushing it back, cause it's not important. Even though if anything it's more important. Should be something they do from the start, make it easier for new people to find out all the right info. Higher chance they will back the game etc.

12/4/2018 8:07:54 AM #24

Regarding the networking performance for the single shard world and dropping SpatialOS, I am concerned that their proposed solution won't be up to scratch.

Firstly there's no mention of caching the state of player-characters in RAM, though since this can also be done in PostgreSQL maybe they just didn't want to get too technical in their announcement post (though it would have better assured tech geeks like me).

Secondly rather than PostgreSQL I'd have expected a NoSQL database like MongoDB or CouchDB, as they typically have faster performance and also support spatial data. Though to be fair there are many MMOs (that are instanced) which also use SQL databases like EVE and Guild Wars. Plus I guess NoSQL is trickier to implement since it's not ACID compliant.

And finally I'd have expected Kubernetes rather than Docker Swarm, it's basically the gold standard for container orchestration.

The problem is I don't think that they will discover whether their current tech stack is sufficient enough without stress-testing their servers, and it's currently nowhere on the (albeit dated) roadmap.

So I hope there's more information and testing forthcoming on that front soon, a comprehensive dev blog on this subject would be deeply reassuring. Because it'd be a shame for them to realise they need to reimplement large parts of their stack late into the process as it just means more time waiting.

12/4/2018 2:07:13 PM #25

I believe MongoDB is ACID compliant now.

And I firmly believe the community makes or breaks a game. The issue I've had with modern MMOs is you take a browse through their forums and they are cluttered with kids. Absolutely not the community I want to game with(Sorry young people, I was like you once ;) )

Caspian's vision spoke to many of us disillusioned by the state of the MMORPG. Yes, he's promised the world(Literally!) and won't deliver on every feature at release. But he also invested a significant sum of his own savings and funded the early stages of development before going to Kickstarter. It encouraged me to see this guy had a vision and was putting down his own money to make it happen.

I am not alone, as the community's response has been phenomenal. I've not seen another game where the forums are largely populated by mature adults, browse any Kingdom's Domains and Organisations forums and you will discover player-lore and professionally written backstories selling their place in the world.

Outside of dedicated RPG forums, I've not seen this level of roleplaying on MMORPG forum before the game has even entered alpha. I haven't seen this quality of engagement even years after release. The CoE community is generally mature and sociable, to even hint at toxicity is selling it short.

There will be technical challenges to the game ahead and I can see several proposals will be pruned off the final product, but so long as the community holds its course I envision a grand experience ahead with the tools available to us.

Will we enter a stage of discussing the Minimum Viable Product during the alpha/beta stages? It's a possibility I'm open to. Somewhere in SBS's deepest, darkest vaults, there must lay a manifest of the game's barest essentials, with additional features deferred to successive years and updates. Maybe SBS will surprise us, but I'm expecting the MVP on release and so long as they form a solid foundation, I'll be content.

Sir Ersmont, of the fallen House Lagarde. Cartographer and explorer extraordinaire. Join him in his ignoble quest to sire heirs in the twelve tribes.

12/5/2018 6:42:46 AM #26

My compliments to The Chef.