COMMUNITY - FORUMS - TRIBES
[Kypiq] Pyqsi

So, we know that Kypiq's language Pyqsi includes the letters: A B D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z ẞ

What we don't know is if ẞ is used as we know it (as it is in german) and if so to what complexity. Does it follow the same rules or does it have it's own rules as an Elyrian letter?

If anyone has this info to share, please let me know!

Glossary: ẞ - For those unaware this letter is pronounced Eszett; not 'odd B' (lol). Now you can pronounce it without your brain exploding. XD

The Akashic Records

11/24/2018 9:22:06 AM #1

I am German. The letter is called "Eszett" or "sharp S". Its pretty easy, you have words with single s and double s. And the s / ss tell you how much emphasis you put on the s.

A ß is meant to go beyond this and use sss, which looked stupid, so the Germans have invented the ß to represented and s that takes even more emphasis.

Expamples of these would be: Hase Hass Spaß

But in recent reforms the ß has been in decline and been replaced with a regular ss. In Switzerland this letter does not exist, they always use a ss, which in turn makes some words with different meaning and the same spelling. For example in Switzerland the sentence "Schokolade sollte in Massen genossen werden" mean both "chocolate should be consumed in masses" as well as "chocolate should be consumed with care". I find this funny. :D

I think it might be used the same way in Pyqsi as well. I personally consider ß to be more of a letter for writing and pronunciation then for spoken language.

carnead Die Entdecker und Verteidiger Avagasts suchen DICH! Egal welcher Berufsstand in unserer Stadt ist für jeden platz! [Geselle dich zu uns!] https://discord.gg/Sc6TyGR

11/24/2018 10:34:31 AM #2

Posted By Galliad at 04:22 AM - Sat Nov 24 2018

I am German. I think it might be used the same way in Pyqsi as well. I personally consider ß to be more of a letter for writing and pronunciation then for spoken language.

Thanks for the native perspective! I agree, the letter definitely makes more sense written than it does spoken.

Any linguists in the community who've been contemplating the languages? Would love your input, too!

The Akashic Records

11/24/2018 11:59:37 AM #3

It's pronounced the same as 🅱

11/24/2018 12:34:56 PM #4

Looking at the example given hase, Hass and Spaß. I would pronounce the latter as just Spab. That is because unfortunately here in England we only learn a foreign language for a couple of years and my high school taught Spanish (the main two foreign languages taught in UK schools tends to be French and Spanish). I thought ß was just a unicode symbol.

Thanks for explaining it, that is Interesting!

As for the OP, I think Vye (she's the linguist) is the best to answer.